guitarlo

Feb 17, 2012
I hate ibans

Wait a minute - you need to sign a fax!? WHAT?
I don't own a fax machine.

I still don't see how anyone can do online transfers to swift codes unless the bank is set up to do it and not all of them are.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Yup..but that's probably because it's a 'small bank'..
by small I mean really small, employees of the bank greet customers with their name when entering :highly_amused:
for me personally no problem, actually gives me a good feeling that they ask for confirmation.
this is by the way the First Citizens Bank.

as for the HSBC and Bank of America accounts, no faxing.
Bank of America transfers/wires money to my Mandiri account using the swiftcode (BEIIIDJA).
HSBC does the same, but into the BCA account (CENAIDJA).

Trust me any normal bank can transfer money into any other normal bank. (with normal I mean not from or to Villagebanks)

wich bank are you using??

guitarlo

Feb 17, 2012
Yup..but that's probably because it's a 'small bank'..
by small I mean really small, employees of the bank greet customers with their name when entering :highly_amused:
for me personally no problem, actually gives me a good feeling that they ask for confirmation.
this is by the way the First Citizens Bank.

as for the HSBC and Bank of America accounts, no faxing.
Bank of America transfers/wires money to my Mandiri account using the swiftcode (BEIIIDJA).
HSBC does the same, but into the BCA account (CENAIDJA).

Trust me any normal bank can transfer money into any other normal bank. (with normal I mean not from or to Villagebanks)

wich bank are you using??

I am using US BANK and Wells Fargo - (2) of the biggest. Neither bank will wire money anywhere unless I walk into the branch fill out the papers and show my ID. They will not execute a wire VIA the phone. I don't understand how people are able to transfer funds from the States into an INDO bank acct via online - . My banks online offer Bill Pay and Pay a Friend fund transfer services but require routing numbers and will not accept swift codes "online." I can attach my INDO bank acct to PAYPAL and move my US dollars via PAYPAL or I can send myself Western Union. Both are cheaper than ATM Fees but defeats the purpose of point and click online banking. Like I posted before, Wells Fargo now offers online swift code transfers to certain Asian countries like the Philippines but as of yet - Indonesia.

How do you get Bank of America to wire money without you physically being there? Do you call customer service and ask for wire over the phone and they do it? If so, I'll open an acct with Bank of America.

My INDO bank is BII in Ubud. And yes, there's a nice, young, girl would bows to me and smiles, Selamat Pagi Mr. Hennings, which is lovely.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Many banks in the USA are not allowed to process international payments and have to use an intermediary bank.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
I send the bankmanager an email, asking for XX amount to be transferred into my Indo account..
Then she (bankmanager) calls me...then I receive a fax wich I sign and send back. Ussualy the transfer takes about a week to be in my account here.
The same way with Bank of America (minus the fax sending), and also takes about a week.
maybe the faxsending part is to make it look like I have been there??
and I have no idea if this is some kind of 'special service' just for me,
but we have celebrated national holidays together so there's personal relationship.

about the HSBC, maybe they send it to a branch of them here and then from that branch into BCA..they are faster, just 3 or 4 days.

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
I transfer money from CBA in Australia to my Indo account no problem.
Strange that American banks have a problem after all they made a lot of peoples money disappear pretty quickly overnight only a few years ago.
Maybe it's all in an Indo bank:highly_amused:

mistyben

Jun 20, 2011
I transfer money from CBA in Australia to my Indo account no problem.
Strange that American banks have a problem after all they made a lot of peoples money disappear pretty quickly overnight only a few years ago.
Maybe it's all in an Indo bank:highly_amused:

We are lucky kiwi cause even though the 'systems' are not linked with CBA its still technically a subsidiary CBA from Australia so even before we had KITAS we could open a CBA account in Indo all we needed was a confirmation letter from Aussie that we have a CBA account there and they opened one for us here:icon_wink:

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
We've just had a US couple try to pay us for their upcoming wedding in June, apparently their bank needed an ABA routing number, we rang BCA and they gave us their IBAN number which is an actual number and not the SWIFT code.

I assume the ABA routing number is the IBAN number, is that right?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
@BKT,
ABA stands for American Bank Association...I doubt BCA is a member of that association ;)
meaning ABA and IBAN is something different..

on the BCA online banking, one can enter an ABA number if sending money from here to there (USA).

wondering what was the number (IBAN) given to you?

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
@BKT,
ABA stands for American Bank Association...I doubt BCA is a member of that association ;)
meaning ABA and IBAN is something different..

on the BCA online banking, one can enter an ABA number if sending money from here to there (USA).

wondering what was the number (IBAN) given to you?

The number they gave us is de51501108006231601664

A few websites are saying the BCA ABA routing number is their Swift code.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
BKT..
I asked mbak tuti (girl at customerservice BCA)

yeah, the number given to you is a JPMorgan number based in germany (Frankfurt) and is actually used to transfer Euro's, not USD.

guessing your clients transferring USD...so the amount would be converted into Euro coming into JPM,
and then converted again into rupiah when transferred from JPM to your rupiah account at the BCA.
have no idea about costs, but ofcourse by converting two times I am sure the amount will be less then originally was transferred.

your clients still would have to supply the swiftcode and adres of the BCA bank where your account is on their original transfer order at their US Bank,
to have the money go from JPM into BCA.

Hope it helps a bit and not adding to any confusion ;)

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Gotcha

The last two transactions we did cost us $25 each, both coming from Australia through ANZ, not sure how many fingers that slipped through.

Hopefully this one won't be anymore than that

I'm just wondering if there's a better bank to use here, I know BCA aren't exactly the cheapest as far as fee's go.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Yea Diana has a USD account at BCA she uses.

A Commonwealth Bank account maybe a good idea though, most of the her potential clients are from Australia

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Slight site-problems

Looks very very good... some minor problems (in both Firefox & Safari on Mac):

1. Truncated drop-down menus on Our Services & Vendors - last menu option obscured
  2. Slow pop-up of images (sometimes didn't 'pop up) maybe an ajax/mootools setting or just a big image
  3. Also on pop-ups: Once open I don't see an X to close the pop-up, I discovered clicking the pic does that, but it's not very intuitive

Apart from that cool site, I'm sure there would be a big demand for this... if only Mick & Jerry could be persuaded to do it all again ;)