tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Candi Dasa, 1986, with Gili Tepekong (also called Kambing), and Gili Mimpang (also called Batu Tiga), in the bkg.

Last edited by a moderator:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Thanks Matsaleh, I am not a genius on anything ,which has to do with computers: I belong to the slide-rule generation! I now will use the Dropbox , and it works perfectly.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
0IyO_J9J91BqEAqIdNVJ5Ix8HOop6KFWIIQhVg9SkpA

1986. This was the "world-famous" (at least in Ubud) Ibu Dewi Warung (Ibu on the right, and her daughter Dewi in the background), located on the road going down Jl Raya, Ubud, on the right, before the Campuhan bridge. Her humble warung was taken over by one of the Ubud Tjokordas, Tjokorda Raka Kerthyasa. Pak Tjok, as he is known, took over Ibu’s warung by eminent domain, in order to give access to his new hotel, Ibah, back in 1992. Ibu Dewi ended up as a homeless destitute. Thank you, Tjokorda Raka Kerthyasa.:disgust:

Here, Markit, you wanted some info.

Pak Tjok was Born the youngest child to his 82-year-old father’s 10th wife. His royal lineage can be traced as far back as 24 generations, to the Majapahit great Hindu kingdom of ancient Java. His father, Tjokorda Ngurah, was the son of Tjokorda Gede Sukawati who had established his own branch of the Sukawati royal family in Ubud in the 19th century. His uncle, Tjokorda Agung Sukawati, who was Ubud’s last ruling royal, gave him the piece of land where The Ibah is sited. Pak Tjok was the first royal to bring home a commoner and foreigner. The pretty British blonde, Gillespie, is the daughter of a distinguished British Army Lieutenant-Colonel. The pair met by chance in June 1977 when she was holidaying in Ubud. Gillespie was given the name of Jero (from the palace) Asri (perfect). She embraced her husband’s Hindu faith and moved into the Ubud Palace with the family.

Last edited:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Dropbox has a public folder, so maybe you need to copy the pictures to there.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I've tried using Dropbox, but apparently it does not work, because so many of you are not seeing them. Dropbox accounts created after October 2012 do not have a Public folder. Will somebody please post the simple instruction for how to create inline images (not attachments), such as what Rangi has done? I need to know where to have the image file, and what tool(s) to use, and the actions/settings for the images.

Thanks for helping me out.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
I had a holiday in Bali in 1975. I was with a new girl-friend (before the wife) and we stayed in a resort hotel with separate villas but a common swimming pool. It was the biggest hotel in the area which would now be Kuta as I recall the aircraft landing on the extended runway which was nearby, and in the direction from Kuta or Tuban. Can anyone remember what this hotel would be today...I cannot find it.

great pics Rangi...exactly as I remember back in 1975...nothing but a small road and a few huts and I saw some topless ladies riding sepeda. My Chinese girl-friend then was jealous as she was not so well-endowed.:icon_e_sad:

In 1975 the largest hotel to the south near the airport was the Kartika Plaza, if memory serves me correctly. It was way out in the sticks then, Jalan Kartika plaza was just a 1 lane potholes sealed road with more holes than sealant. No light once you got a few hundred meters south of the Ramayana which was only a few straggly bungalows then Matsaleh. The Kartika Plaza being a government owned hotel wasn't really into service unless you flashed a few hundred rupiah then. (remember petrol was Rp. 100 a litre then, and ikan baker with kentang goreng was a pricy Rp. 300. The US$ was 415 Rp. Getting back to the hotel, the bungalows were few and spaced far apart. And at night you needed a flashlight to find yr way to your bungalow (or wave a hundred rupiah note to attract attention in the lobby. The pool was out on its own near the beach (and might have eventually been washed away by beach erosion I think). You could sit on the beach and watch the planes in and out on the extended runway.

:topsy_turvy:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Joji for the memory.
I stayed at the Kartika Plaza just a couple of years ago and it didn't remind me as I lived up on the 2nd floor and the pool is different, but the location would be correct. In 1975 the beach was virtually deserted but I saw aircraft land on the extended runway...and it wasn't that far away.

Your description is more in keeping with my experience then when we stayed in a bungalow which took a windy (almost jungle) path from the main building, we were apprehensive there could be wild animals.....I'll go back and visualize what it could have been like. Was it always the Kartika Plaza or could it have been run by the Sheraton then?
I know that Govt/TNI/Police all have preferential treatment there now....I witnessed the security and commotion when a 'big-shit' is in residence.

The girl friend, at that time in 1975, still lives in Hong Kong and is single, but I don't have the guts to contact and ask her, as my wife also knows her well. I'm sure she will remember because I was quite the lad back then......and knew how to treat a lady....:love-struck::icon_evil:

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Davita, Kartika Plaza owners are the Indo's army, so that place is their back yard :icon_smile:
On paper it is owned by a foundation (Yayasan Kartika Eka Paksi if my memory serves me) and the Army is the owner of the foundation.
The foundation were created as a business entity for the army to create money to support the Army operations.
Rumors said the brain of the foundation is none other than Tommy Winata.
I got to say, this guy is a very good businessman even with his "alleged involvements" in the underworld, operating that place and keeping every top brass in the army happy for years is a stressful job:friendly_wink:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Tin tin first go have a bit of a lie down and then a pee. Once that's all dealt with get the blanket wrapped around you legs firmly then try and do this:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Tin tin first go have a bit of a lie down and then a pee. Once that's all dealt with get the blanket wrapped around you legs firmly then try and do this:

View attachment 1793

This is so obvious, I'd already tried it all by myself. Here is what a large picture looks like with this simple scheme.

Then, if you click on the picture, it gets expended the usual way.

Maybe Rangi can tell us how he does it?1798

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Thanks Joji for the memory.
I stayed at the Kartika Plaza just a couple of years ago and it didn't remind me as I lived up on the 2nd floor and the pool is different, but the location would be correct. In 1975 the beach was virtually deserted but I saw aircraft land on the extended runway...and it wasn't that far away.

Your description is more in keeping with my experience then when we stayed in a bungalow which took a windy (almost jungle) path from the main building, we were apprehensive there could be wild animals.....I'll go back and visualize what it could have been like. Was it always the Kartika Plaza or could it have been run by the Sheraton then?
I know that Govt/TNI/Police all have preferential treatment there now....I witnessed the security and commotion when a 'big-shit' is in residence.

The girl friend, at that time in 1975, still lives in Hong Kong and is single, but I don't have the guts to contact and ask her, as my wife also knows her well. I'm sure she will remember because I was quite the lad back then......and knew how to treat a lady....:love-struck::icon_evil:

Here is what Kartika Plaza looked, from the beach, in 1984.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The pix are brill tintin- to expand just press "Ctrl" and "+" as often a you need to get the size you want. Rangi did it by opening his pix in some viewing software and then just either "Select All" then "Copy" going to the forum Quick Reply box and then simply "Paste" - unless the pix are fecking huge (resolution = size since screen sizes are in pixels/cm or inch if ur retro US)

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Also if you have the image uploaded somewhere, to this site or anywhere else you can wrap the URL with tags like this:

image URL [/URL]

[IMG]http://balipod.com/attachments/magic-bali/1799d1390363193-old-bali-photos-img6004.jpg

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Also if you have the image uploaded somewhere, to this site or anywhere else you can wrap the URL with tags like this:

image URL [/URL]

[IMG]http://balipod.com/attachments/magic-bali/1799d1390363193-old-bali-photos-img6004.jpg

that'sd the Kartika plaza Admin, at the time of max erosion before they put the big concrete breakwater up….. the airport extension sure messed up the coastline to the north.

:topsy_turvy: