peut_etre_moi

Sep 12, 2009
NY, USA
Hey there :)

Regarding the current situation in Bali.
What business could / should be started?
Suppose the amount of investment from US$ 100 000 to 150 000.
Now we are thinking about a small hotel or a cafe.
Let's discuss any ideas.

peut_etre_moi

Sep 12, 2009
NY, USA
Thank you. But
First I'd like to know how to start and then I'll decide what to do - to buy existing business or to build up and to register my own.

gary_leighton

May 30, 2011
Hi

Hi

we can help you with the set up process for sure.

If you like send an enquiry through our website.

Thanks

Gary

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Thank you. But
First I'd like to know how to start and then I'll decide what to do - to buy existing business or to build up and to register my own.

Unless I am totally reading this wrong..I think you have it backwards...first you should decide what you want (where you want it),
and then figure out how to start it.
Know what I mean?

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I am asking here what business more effective to start now in Bali.

Bali is getting more and more crowded these days, many (foreign) people looking for jobs or business opportunities, do you really think that somebody will give you a good business idea just like that? Just curious....

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't think it is very hard coming up with ideas and I would be happy to share some that I have. It's often said that a good business model solves a problem that people have. In Bali this could be something for expats, tourists or locals.

You could also look at successful businesses overseas and see if it will work in Bali. One idea I had is a website which Balinese drivers sign up to advertise their business. Tourists can book their service and possibly pay for it online. Tourists could then leave feedback and ratings on the driver, like Tripadvisor. You would then take a small percentage of all bookings. Drivers could also announce their availability and location on the site or via a mobile app and would be better than them standing on the street yelling transport.

I think Bali also needs one really good short/long term rental accommodation site. I don't think anyone has created anything that really stands out. A groupon site just for Bali for tourists, expats and locals could also be a good idea.

Another problems locals and expats struggle with is finding good staff. So perhaps an employment agency that does thorough background checks on potential employees.

Don't just think of a hotel/restaurant/bar. What is your background in and what skills/experience do you already have?

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Villa rentals, homestays and hotels seem to be doing good business at the moment but remember any business that depends upon tourists is just a small incident (think terror) away from bankruptcy.

I'll never forget when a hotel GM with many years experience here in Bali metioned to me that his hotel rooms were really just a lost leader and that the real money was made in his restaurants and bars. And his rooms were superb and not cheap either.

Another thought is to do something with the Balinese handicrafts - these people are masters of fine detailed work churned out at speed - just ask the Hardys (jewellers not foods).

I know a number of people that have cloths for resale in Europe made here in cottage type industries and they seem to be doing well too.

Hope this helps
Mark

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I have a number of businesses making good returns. Bring your $150 ,000 this way. I have a couple of hotels, a restaurant, a bar, a few villas, a home-stay, a couple of drivers with vehicles and even a cooking school. Step this way, step this way!:icon_biggrin:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Hey there :)

Regarding the current situation in Bali.
What business could / should be started?
Suppose the amount of investment from US$ 100 000 to 150 000.
Now we are thinking about a small hotel or a cafe.
Let's discuss any ideas.

This is making me think:barbershop_quartet_
How much money do you want to make????
Do you want to support your family????
What do you like to do???
What is your back ground, sales, trades?????
Will you be here or offshore????
How long have you been coming to Bali???

peut_etre_moi

Sep 12, 2009
NY, USA
This is making me think:barbershop_quartet_
How much money do you want to make????
Do you want to support your family????
What do you like to do???
What is your back ground, sales, trades?????
Will you be here or offshore????
How long have you been coming to Bali???

1. I want my investment get back in 3 years.
2. No. Just me and my business partner.
3. I do not know exactly now. That's why I'm trying to discuss it here. Also we're not sure in district. Seminyak or Canggu..?
Or maybe north of Bali or Candidasa... We've been everywhere in Bali, even in Gilimanyuk :)
We're thinking of cafe with it's own character.
And of course about guest house, it is never enough in Bali. But guest house also with our own way.
4. We are the owners of SPA-hotel in the USA for 6 years. We have an MBA in Hospitality Management.
5. Mostly we will stay in Bali, cause frankly it is the main idea :) Sure we have to be back in the USA sometimes for some weeks but we can do it in turn, so business never be without supervision.
6. We've been in Bali for 5 times. Last time it was in May-August of this year.

Last edited:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
peut_etre_moi, To be serious I get asked questions about opening a business here at least 5 times EVERY week. People come here and fail on a regular basis. Yes it is possible to take on a business in the price range you are talking about and have your money back in 3 years. However many people fail along the way. Some are simply dreamers.
I have known a number of folk who have blown a budget like yours in less than 2 years.
The questions asked by Fred 2 are very relevant. There is no point us suggestion a tailors business if you are a chef.
You will make no money in some of the areas you have suggested. They are too remote and away from the tourist dollar, of course this also means your purchase/lease price will be cheaper.
After 5 visits you would still be looking through the dreamy eyes of a tourist. It would be better to wait until you are here. Lease a house for 12 months. Then look at each business venture in detail before committing to anything.
There are traps everywhere. You have experience in a hotel. Let us look at that. If you take over an existing business that does not have an IMB the onus will fall on you to get one. This can mean getting in architects to draw up plans of a 25 year old business. This means paying for the architect, the building tax and then the actual IMB. Then you if you operate a restaurant and want a liquor licence it becomes more fun. You will pay a series of people a lot of money and maybe after 2 years your licence will be close.
Some folk I know even paid for parking out the front of their bar. (This is on a public road).
It is best to be bald when starting a business here, this saves you ripping your hair out on a constant basis.
I am not trying to turn you off I am just helping remove the rose coloured glasses. I am currently assisting a friend set up a guest house (Yes, he is already bald). I can see no reason for it to fail. This is on a 20 year less with payment every 2 years.

peut_etre_moi

Sep 12, 2009
NY, USA
\
I am not trying to turn you off I am just helping remove the rose coloured glasses. .

Thank you very much for your care. I'll fix it by myself if I need it :)
It wasn't my question.

Regarding living in Bali I have been living in Bali for 15 months in 2009-2010 with short comebacks to the US and trips to others asian cities
and countries. :)

So, if you haven't any useful information for me please do not trouble yourself writing me big sheets of totally useless words.

thank you :)
Good luck to you and your work )

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
If you read my comments without all the emotion, you will realise I am trying to be helpful.
A lot of what I have written is fact.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
So, if you haven't any useful information for me please do not trouble yourself writing me big sheets of totally useless words.

Totally useless words? Wow...there's one guy who tries to help you and you wrote this? BTW no idea is right with the rose coloured glasses :icon_wink:

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
Thank you very much for your care. I'll fix it by myself if I need it :)
It wasn't my question.

Regarding living in Bali I have been living in Bali for 15 months in 2009-2010 with short comebacks to the US and trips to others asian cities
and countries. :)

thank you :)
Good luck to you and your work )
:icon_rolleyes:forget it old mate, this guy dont wanna be helped, if only he knew that the advice from you couldnt come from a more experienced expat....f#*k him i say....and he is a yank! :highly_amused:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Funny isn't it you see the same thing again and again here - someone goes to all the trouble to write a well thought out and honest reply to what initially seems a good hard question and suddenly Dr. Jekyl come along and turns the thing into some personal rebuke because someone says something that doesn't fit into the questioners picture of things.

If you can't handle the fecking answers don't ask the fecking questions.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010

peut-être t'as une trop haute idée de toi-même, bienvenue dans le bassin aux requins indonésiens!
je te donne un conseil gratuit M. peut_etre_moi, peut-être c'est une bonne idée d'être aimable envers une personne qui a voulu t'aider...

Arrogant!

I have a number of businesses making good returns. Bring your $150 ,000 this way. I have a couple of hotels, a restaurant, a bar, a few villas, a home-stay, a couple of drivers with vehicles and even a cooking school

Tu es capable de lire? Pour quelle raison doit-il être jaloux de toi? C'est ridicule!

Attachments

• simpsons ha-ha.jpg
    simpsons ha-ha.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 43