sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Thanks Rick :icon_smile:, yes Gil I know it'd be cheaper and maybe even better in Hongkong or Bangkok but I live in Bali. For somebody who wants to order 3-4 suits, some shirts etc I'd probably makes sense but just in case I need one in a hurry it's always great to know where

Cheers!

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Thanks Rick :icon_smile:, yes Gil I know it'd be cheaper and maybe even better in Hongkong or Bangkok but I live in Bali. For somebody who wants to order 3-4 suits, some shirts etc I'd probably makes sense but just in case I need one in a hurry it's always great to know where

Cheers!

Alta Moda in Kuta is not bad when comparing with other Bali tailors. Huge variety and choice of materials.

richierich

Jun 20, 2012
I know a number of people that have cloths for resale in Europe made here in cottage type industries and they seem to be doing well too.

Hope this helps
Mark

hi mark late reply but i just came across this thread and was wondering what you mean by cottage type industries?
do you mean genuine balinese style fashion or just the brands that are made here? i would be interested to know more as i work in the fashion industry and looking to set-up over here

richie

bali chef

Nov 17, 2011
hi there,
how about to run small cafe ( spend more $$ to invest for kitchen and the equipment ) so that the kitchen can also use for catering, and producing food products such as gelato, etc.
it wouldn't take more than Rp. 100 million

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Richie,

What I've run into are Europeans that have designed their cloths and cloth themselves and organised the locals here to produce them - as you travel around the archipeligo you will find lots of small "hole in the wall" factories turning out one type of thing. They seem to be very good at what they do and the people I've talked to started out with small runs to get the feel of the quality and dependability of the people and went from there. The main problem seemed to be success. When they had a good product the production facilites were limitied to that factory/family/village and were difficult to tailor to the demand - both increases and decreases - heartbreaking to let people go.

Sorry I don't have more than anecdotal evidence for all this. It seemed to be very "hands on" with weekly visits and much family interaction. Sounded fun :O) - and a nice way to earn a living.

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
ha ha no idea I like your approach! Spicyayam , i think your ideas sound good too! It seems difficult from my time there last week to find commercial places for rent-maybe there's an idea? Apparently agents inflate prices alot-maybe a gumtree style website operated by the owners? Small fish are sweet..