Antonio

I want to move to Candidasa next year, for a few years.
I have a son, one year old, and I want to give him a minimum of school education. I went to Bali last week but I hadn't time to go the schools, I was very bussy.

In the internet I only see private schools with western education standards in the south... Sanur, Kuta, Legian, Seminyak, Canggu or Denpasar. But nothing in the east.

Somebody told about a Catholic School in Amlapura (near Candidasa), with nice level of education for children untill 12 years. But looking and looking, and asking and asking, and I don't get any information.

Can anyboy help me?

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Thanks pollyanna, but as you said, that article didn't answer my question.

I am a bit confused about move to East Coast or not, I mean that maybe is better to move to South Bali if I want to give a nice education to my child/children.

Maybe in two years, and once the new road is finished we can go everyday to Sanur, but this is not really what we are looking for. One of the reasons for move to Bali is to have a better lifestyle and drive 2-3 hours per day is not really what we are looking for.

If the school of Amlapura is in Indonesian, I think I will look for anotther thing, I hear that it offers education untill 12 years, after that the students must go to another city. I prefer education in English, because then I can send my son to good high schools in Bali or outside the island.

Any help??

Thanks.

could be the start of something new.......

Hi there,

I live in Padang Bai. I have 2 sons, one is nearly 5 and the other is 1.5. There are no schools in the area that have an adequate curriculum, but there are several children around in the area...

I had arranged for a teacher to come and school my elder child, but she mailed me this morning to say that she will no longer be able to come.....So I am sitting here pulling my hair out!!

What do you think about starting a small school? All we would need is 2 teachers (or a TA and a qualified teacher). I have been homeschooling my eldest and using the British curriculum. This works out ok - but when it is busy I just don't have the time to do it!!

Let me know what you think....

interesting....

I lived near Amlapura for two years and home schooled my daughter. Initially I was going to enroll her in the Catholic school in Amlapura (School name is Bintang Kejora). They would have accepted my daughter but thought it best for her to go to an international school or be home schooled because at that time at the age of 11 she would not only be the "bule" but also the tallest kid in school.

So I home schooled but because I had to travel a lot and had no luck in finding a private teacher to help me my daughter needed almost two school years to complete one school year. I have to add that from grade 1-5 she was in a German school in Germany and then I started her on an American curriculum in English in grade 5. my daughter finally learned to read and learned the English language.

Now she is back in Germany in school because I did not want her to finish 12th grade at the age of 30!

I would do anything to be able to be in Bali more permanently - right now the traveling back and forth is putting a strain on my work.....

It would be nice to see where this is going! Although my daughter is already 13 and in grade 7 I am still interested to see what comes up here. Maybe there are more of us that would put together a small school???

I enjoyed homeschooling!

What do you think about starting a small school? All we would need is 2 teachers (or a TA and a qualified teacher). I have been homeschooling my eldest and using the British curriculum. This works out ok - but when it is busy I just don't have the time to do it!!

Let me know what you think....

ehm...what about licensing the school??...as in getting an ok from the government of Indonesia? The school will get some sort of indication as to the quality of the teachings. Hereby making it possible for the children to actually do an exam when the time comes...without the proper registration, the children will not be able to do the "ujian nasional"...every year, to graduate to the next year, when after elementary school (your school) they would want to continue with highschool they would need an official rapportcard (pascarjana) to register at the highschool.
There's another way, but then the children would have to register at another "school" Paket B (if I remember right) take the national test/exam there and with that they could continue their schooling. Not sure about the paket B for elementary to highschool, I know it's paket C for highschool to college.

Amlapura school

I would also be very interested in some sort of private school on the East Coast. I am an American man, married to a Balinese women from a small village outside Amlapura. Last year we lived in Amlapura and I sent my 8 year old "Bule" son to the local school in town. He speaks fluent Indonesian, so language was never a problem. The kids he went to school with could never accept him as Balinese no matter if we lived in the village or did the same things normal Balinese would do. He finished up the school year there and we moved back to California after the school year.
I have been going back and forth with moving back to Bali and just giving into the crazy prices for International schools in the south.

If there is info about a future international school in the Karangasem area please post here. I know hotels and expats from all over are buying up everything in the Amed area. There has to be enough kids out there that we need a school in the East..

Thanks.

Surely any future international school in the area will be looking to charge the same ridiculously high tuition fees which the international schools in the south charge? I think that you are likely better to make enquiries regarding hiring a teacher privately - although being in the north east might limit you as most may want to live in the south or Ubud. Our friends in Ubud have done this after finding that the Green School didn't suit their needs for the cost.
Our long term plan for our own children would be to use the West Australian School of Isolated and Distance Education for schooling - although I am a teacher so I can oversee this also.

Gilbert - I took the comment about starting a school to mean following a distance education curriculum rather than the national Indonesian one? I think that licensing a local school would be quite difficult?

Hai Larnes...
to be honest I have no idea how difficult it is to get licensed by the Dep.Pendidikan..This Licensing isn't something that can be done locally, but goes through jakarta,
so I can only guess that it must be pretty hard (or costly), since there are alot of private schools that operate without 'terakreditasi' (accredited) by Negara Indonesia.
If needed I can dive into that maze and find some more info on how to go about to get licensed.

just wondering what is in your opinion "high tuition' fees?

@balihigh, same question for you, how much money are we talking here for sending a kid to an Int.School?

back in NL, schoolfee's depend on alot of things but can get up to a 1000euro per year (12juta) that's a normal school.
for an international school for example "Europese School" fee's are between 2700 and 5000 euro per year..I can't imagine Int.Schools being
more expensive on Bali...
expensive on Bali

Last edited:
Surely any future international school in the area will be looking to charge the same ridiculously high tuition fees which the international schools in the south charge?

I am sure the fees are quite justified. The visa costs alone are around $2000 for each foreign worker. International school teachers' salaries are also quite high. I am sure some however will work for a little less just because they get a chance to live in Bali. Then there is the cost of land, buildings, computers etc.

Hi Gilbert
My idea of ridiculously large fees is $10k USD, which I know is approximately what the Green School in Ubud charges. I don't doubt spicyayam's truth in terms of cost of infrastructure and certainly international teachers' salaries would appear to be pretty high in comparision to other areas, but then, I don't know that much about salaries on the island.

As a teacher at a non-government school with low fees, it is just a whole different headspace for me!

I think 10K USD is an OK fee...if the school is accredited and the graduating students actually gets a diploma that's worth something.

for example the Int.School Amsterdam charges :

(from their website) Finances: In the 2011-2012 school year, approximately 99% of the School’s income came from annual tuition fees.
The annual tuition rates range as follows: Nursery (2 full days) – Grade 12 €5,950 to €21,450.
In addition there is an enrolment/registration fee of €3,500 for new students, and €300 for returning students and a PTA fee of €35 per family

My research is that most international schools charge about $10k per year. My wife used to work at British IS in Jakarta, so i was able to see quite a bit of it. IMHO The price is quite justified. It is like a private school in Oz, just better :highly_amused:

Back