LMM

Mar 6, 2008
Barcelona
Hi everybody
I know this matter has been dealt with in previous threats but I wonder if any changes have taken place in recent times.
The fact is that last August I tried to open an account at the BII and BCA without having a KITAS and in both cases I was told it was not possible.
I am a spanish citizen visiting regularly Bali with the intentions of moving eventually and building a house in the near future. Having a bank account seems unavoidable. I would not like transferring large amounts of money to a "friend's" account. I also wonder if it would be advisable to let some money siting in a Balinese bank generating some interests during the construction process.
thanks
Any suggestions?
LM

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi everybody
I know this matter has been dealt with in previous threats but I wonder if any changes have taken place in recent times.
Banks in Indonesia are regulated by the government, and the requirement that accounts should only be created for citizens or KITAS holders is part of this regulation. It has not changed recently and is not likely to. People on social visas who manage to get an account are flying under the radar in some way - using a "friend" is one of the ways. If you are aiming for a long term connection with Bali, then maybe you should explore you options for getting a KITAS.

Liebling

Dec 4, 2011
Pilbara WA
Banks in Indonesia are regulated by the government, and the requirement that accounts should only be created for citizens or KITAS holders is part of this regulation. It has not changed recently and is not likely to. People on social visas who manage to get an account are flying under the radar in some way - using a "friend" is one of the ways. If you are aiming for a long term connection with Bali, then maybe you should explore you options for getting a KITAS.

Sorry - but what is a KITAS? My sister is going through the same trials. She has just bought a villa in Nusa Dua and is now wanting to open a bank account without having to use our adoptive Balinese son's name. I guess, by reading your reply it is impossible. Thanks for the information anyway. I will stand by as to the meaning of KITAS.
Cheers :)

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Sorry - but what is a KITAS? I will stand by as to the meaning of KITAS.
Cheers :)

Kitas:Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas, or limited stay permit card.That is wat you get when you get a retirement visum or are eligible for work.
Use the Advanced Search box at the top right of the page and search for Kitas,Itas,Kitap,Itap,Visa lansia,PMA.

Liebling

Dec 4, 2011
Pilbara WA
Kitas:Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas, or limited stay permit card.That is wat you get when you get a retirement visum or are eligible for work.
Use the Advanced Search box at the top right of the page and search for Kitas,Itas,Kitap,Itap,Visa lansia,PMA.

My sincere thanks to you for your enlightenment.

guitarlo

Feb 17, 2012
Bank account without KISTA and deposits

I was able to open a bank account at BII without a KISTA in January 2012. The new rule as of 2011 is you need to enter the country 2x to qualify for a bank account. I was able to get an exception because I had only entered the country 1x on a Social Class VISA. The trick is how do you get money from your USA acct into your Indonesian bank account?

Indonesia banks use swift codes which makes online bank transfers useless from the states because they use routing numbers. Swift codes are ok if you're wiring money from one bank account to another but that means you have to be there in person to send the wire. What I do is send Western Union to myself.

Does anyone know how to transfer money online from an American bank account to your INDO bank acct?

Thanks,
Arlo in Ubud

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
this thread is helpful

this thread is useful (though it is about merchant a/c)

Last edited by a moderator:

guitarlo

Feb 17, 2012
Iban

Thanks for trying to help. I called BII Bank in Ubud and they told me they don't use IBAN - only swift code.
Furthermore, they said IBAN is used in places like the U.K.

So, can U tell me what bank exactly in INDO uses IBAN? Also, where is your main bank located?
If you have an acct in Europe maybe you send your USA money there then on to Indo.

However, BII BANK does not use IBAN number. Therefore, your statement that "all" INDO banks use IBAN is incorrect.

Best regards,
Arlo, Ubud

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
@Arlo...
all INDO banks have an IBAN.

it's a International Bank Account Number..so basically a number that identifies a bank internationally.
BII (Bank Internasional Indonesia) therefor should have one...along with a Swift/BIC.
an employee telling you they don't have one, isn't something you should rely on :highly_amused:

after calling a friend at the BII....here's your IBAN for the BII... "IBBKIDJA"

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
@balibule..
you're right...
they (Indonesian Banks) refer to this as an IBAN, (what do they know :highly_amused:) since they use this to be Internationally Identified.
but I stand corrected, you are right it is not an IBAN, but it's a number that identifies the receiving bank (headoffice) Internationally.
and since the problem was to transfer money from the U.S. to Indonesia, this is what needed to do so directly, along ofcourse with full adress of the bank where the account is
and the accountnumber (duh).
no need to transfer from US to EU and onto Indo, like Arlo is thinking about.
However, after I do a online transfer from the U.S. to here (or EU)..I always receive a fax confirmation, wich I have to sign and send back.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
IBAN problems

No, the Ibans aren't in rebellion again...

We had terrible problems here in Singapore a couple of years back: A client in Europe wanted to transfer payment to us BUT their a/c department insisted they have our IBAN number...
Problem was that the Singapore banks don't use them, so we made a fuss & eventually got one.... but problem was that they fobbed us off & gave us their UK branch IBAN (jus tto shut us up I guess)
The transfer bounced - the SWIFT didn't match the IBAN.

MUCH screaming & shouting later I managed to get an IBAN for the HQ in Singapore.

guitarlo

Feb 17, 2012
Iban issue

The IBAN number you give for BII BANK is the same number they call a swift code.
Either they or you or someone is confused.

I will call the bank again and speak with the manager.

The post below also states that INDO banks do not use IBAN numbers they use swift codes.
No USA bank I can find will do online transfers to swiftcodes but Wells Fargo does with the Philippines
and said Indonesia is in the works but not yet.

So, unless a human being walks into a USA bank and physically wires money into your account there's no way
to do it unless it's possible through the online Bank deposit option via Western Union but that defeats the purpose because
of the fee.