davita

Mar 13, 2012
Sorry Bill but you don't have it quite correct

1. The first option for you is a free VOA which lasts 30 days but cannot be extended.

According to your dates that would be sufficient for your first visit...you arrive on 15 April and leave on 13 May = 29 days....just make sure of those dates. Every day late will be a fine of Rp300,000....I believe.....but others can correct me.

2. You can return from Philippines on 31 May and this time apply for the paid US$35 VOA which lasts 30 days. After about 2 weeks into that period go to Immigration in Bali and request an extension (US$35) for another 30 days = 60 days altogether. This means you will need to leave on 29 June at the latest.
Take a short trip to Singapore, or anywhere outside of Indonesia before that 29 June, and return, even the same day, and repeat 2 above. This allows you to stay until 60 days after arrival ....this puts you well into late August depending on the day you went to Singapore/elsewhere.
None of the above require an agent.

3. You seem to have misunderstood the point Markit and I made...A Tourist visa and a Sosbud visa are issued in a Foreign Indonesian Embassy/Consul (not issued in Indonesia) and is for ONE visit. As soon as you leave Indonesia...no matter the unexpired portion of the visa......it is voided and no longer useful.

With regard to future visits......once you are in Bali, visit Markit's agent, or any other, and ask for information and prices. If you can make friends with an Indonesian who is willing to sponsor for future Sosbud visits you don't even need an agent as they can be expensive. However, it is mandatory to use a qualified agent for a Retirement visa.

Edit: I should add there is a multi-entry Sosbud available...it lasts a year but requires exiting RI every 60 days (max) and return. I used for a couple of years but got fed-up with the restrictions. It isn't all the easy to get and requires authorisation from Jakarta but...if you're interested for your future visits either question on this forum or, again, ask an agent while you are here.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Not wishing to hijack the original post........ however, I would like to report a friend's experience of his and his wife's attempt to renew their Social Budaya visa in KL instead of the usual Singapore. He and his wife arrived at the Indonesian embassy at 11 am with all documents prepared. They were told on entry that no more applicants would be accepted today as they already had 120 applicants and they didn't want any more! My friends already knew they had to be there by noon.... so they were..... easily.

As they could not change their tickets they had to fly back to Bali the same day. On arrival in Bali my friend was not allowed entry as there was only 182 days left on his passport!!!!!! This couple have been living in Bali and running a legitimate business for 8 years!!! Eventually, common sense prevailed. They returned to Malaysia a week later and managed to renew their visas. An expensive exercise through no error on their part. The Indonesian bureaucracy cannot always be bought. However, usually they can. You just gotta love corruption!! :) (PS That's a joke ..... ok !?)

I understand you are advising about the limitation of KL's RI Embassy/Immigration.....but come on...your friend has lived here 8 years and expected to get a Sosbud in KL on the same day......really.

Then they cut it so fine they returned with exactly 182 days left before expiry of the passport. I doubt that KL RI Embassy would even issue a Sosbud under that condition.

BTW running a 'legitimate' business in Indonesia on a Sosbud visa.....pray tell?

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
Not wishing to hijack the original post........ however, I would like to report a friend's experience of his and his wife's attempt to renew their Social Budaya visa in KL instead of the usual Singapore. He and his wife arrived at the Indonesian embassy at 11 am with all documents prepared. They were told on entry that no more applicants would be accepted today as they already had 120 applicants and they didn't want any more! My friends already knew they had to be there by noon.... so they were..... easily.

As they could not change their tickets they had to fly back to Bali the same day. On arrival in Bali my friend was not allowed entry as there was only 182 days left on his passport!!!!!! This couple have been living in Bali and running a legitimate business for 8 years!!! Eventually, common sense prevailed. They returned to Malaysia a week later and managed to renew their visas. An expensive exercise through no error on their part. The Indonesian bureaucracy cannot always be bought. However, usually they can. You just gotta love corruption!! :) (PS That's a joke ..... ok !?)

Sorry, but your friends had the wrong information! if you read enough and prepare yourself properly to get the visa on the Embassy of Indonesia in Kuala Lumpur, they should know there is numbers and there is a maximum of numbers they take per a day, in my case I stayed one night and went to the embassy very early in the morning to get a number before finish, what happened to them was normal and to have a passport minimun 6 monts valid to flight is another international rule, I wonder what they did about that! where they make a new passport? did they enter to Bali that day finally?

For running a business and living in Bali for 8 years they made very important mistakes in my opinion, and yes it was their mistake. There is few post on some forums very clear about how to get a visa in KL, living in indonesia forum.

Last edited:

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
to get the visa on the Embassy of Indonesia in Kuala Lumpur, they should know there is numbers and there is a maximum of numbers they take per a day.................... minimun 6 monts valid to flight is another international rule, I wonder what they did about that! where they make a new passport? did they enter to Bali that day finally?

They had no idea whatsoever about limited numbers of applicants as they had done this before with no problems. The rule was that you must apply before noon. They were there over an hour before that time and yet were refused. Yes..... we all know about the 6 month rule for Indonesia but is it "an International rule" ? Either way it is quite easy to overlook this and be out by 1 day and who would expect Immigrasi to be counting that accurately! Yes they managed to get back into Bali, with some effort and yes they then managed to renew the "out-of-date" passport. We must all remember that a 5 year passport is only valid for 4.5 years. To this day I still don't understand why one needs a passport valid for 6 months if they are visiting Indonesia for only 1 week!
Davita, they had KITAS/KITAP up to this time but had recently sold their business and were heading back to Europe for a year or two.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014

1. The first option for you is a free VOA which lasts 30 days but cannot be extended.

According to your dates that would be sufficient for your first visit...you arrive on 15 April and leave on 13 May = 29 days....just make sure of those dates. Every day late will be a fine of Rp300,000....I believe.....but others can correct me.

2. You can return from Philippines on 31 May and this time apply for the paid US$35 VOA which lasts 30 days. After about 2 weeks into that period go to Immigration in Bali and request an extension (US$35) for another 30 days = 60 days altogether. This means you will need to leave on 29 June at the latest.
Take a short trip to Singapore, or anywhere outside of Indonesia before that 29 June, and return, even the same day, and repeat 2 above. This allows you to stay until 60 days after arrival ....this puts you well into late August depending on the day you went to Singapore/elsewhere.

3. You seem to have misunderstood the point Markit and I made...A Tourist visa and a Sosbud visa are issued in a Foreign Indonesian Embassy/Consul (not issued in Indonesia) and is for ONE visit. As soon as you leave Indonesia...no matter the unexpired portion of the visa......it is voided and no longer useful.

With regard to future visits......once you are in Bali, visit Markit's agent, or any other, and ask for information and prices. If you can make friends with an Indonesian who is willing to sponsor for future Sosbud visits you don't even need an agent as they can be expensive. However, it is mandatory to use a qualified agent for a Retirement visa.

Edit: I should add there is a multi-entry Sosbud available...it lasts a year but requires exiting RI every 60 days (max) and return. I used for a couple of years but got fed-up with the restrictions. It isn't all the easy to get and requires authorisation from Jakarta but...if you're interested for your future visits either question on this forum or, again, ask an agent while you are here.

Thanks Davita.

So the plan would be:

1) Get free VOA on 15 April when we arrive. leave for Phils on 13 May.

2) Get $35 VOA when we return on 31 May. (There's two types of VOA? how do you know where to go to purchase these at the airport?) I don't see why we need another month, this would expire on 29 June as you say. Perhaps it's safer to get this extended before we leave for Sulawesi on 10 June?

3) Visit Singapore after we return from Sulawesi on 26 June and get a VOA when we arrive and then get it extended by visiting Immigration (or an agent?).

So basically you are saying that we should just continue getting VOAs each time we come in, unless we plan to spend more than 60 days in Indo, in which case we should get a Sosbud visa which can only be applied for outside Indo? I feel like I am still misunderstanding something.

Thanks,

Bill

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Bill, as I said you are bouncing in and out of the country too often to warrant getting the Social Visa (6 month with 4 renewals - use an agent) unless with in the year you plan on staying for a contiguous 6 months. Cause if you leave on the Social it's void and all that effort and money puff!

You aren't budget travelers so when you get to Bali I'll put you in touch with a great agent that will cover all your needs and explain it all to you and your best advantage leaving you and the missus to while away your time at your hearts content.

Main thing is to keep flexible and ready for surprises - nothing here is "writ in stone".

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Billt4SF;110007 We arrive Bali 15 April. We lave 13 May for Philippines said:
Bill...my recommendation was based on what you said above. It meant you planned to go out Indonesia to Papua New Guinea in mid August which....to my understanding this meant you needed to be in RI from 31 May till mid August and therefore needed an extendable visa.
If that is incorrect and you now say you are going to Suluwesi...then my recommendation was based on incorrect info...Suluwesi is Indonesia therefore you are not exiting Indonesia.
It is difficult to give best advice if I'm not given the correct data.

When you arrive Bali to get a free 30 VOA just go direct to Immigration...if you need to buy the US$35 VOA there is a kiosk where it's purchased before seeing the arrival Immigration officer.

LuigiG

Mar 19, 2016
I agree with Denpasarhouse, if you are only staying for a year, it's better to rent a place by the month.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
I agree with Denpasarhouse, if you are only staying for a year, it's better to rent a place by the month.

G'day Bill,

Just thought that I'd pass on my experience of living in Bali so far.
I arrived to stay for twelve months to see how I would like living here after visiting Bali and beyond for over thirty years. I wasn't too keen on locking into a twelve month deal because I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay in the one spot or that I had made the right choice for myself.
After seven months I had decided on my base and have now locked into a twelve month lease at a saving of 10% from just the month to month payments I had been making.
I live fairly simply so the 10% is really 3 fourths of bugger all but the point is that I wouldn't have dreamed of locking into anything long term within just a couple of weeks here.
Maybe, after the next twelve months of living and staying in different areas, I might decide to buy/lease something but I'm not in a rush. Renting is cheap enough.

ZoomBali

Mar 28, 2016
Denpasar, Bali
www.zoombali.com
Hi Billt4SF,

When I went to the East of Bali in Amed I literally fall in love with the place, this is fantastic with the mountains and volcanos to the West and the ocean to the right. This is so quiet, people are friendly, the air is pure and the roads are in good state. Furthermore diving in Amed is their most popular touristic attraction. You have many different schools like Plouf Diving or Amed Scuba Bali Diving Center. You can find many beach side accommodations and it goes from affordable to upscale and yes they have few restaurants and other services. For bigger shopping center you can go to Hardy's Amlapura which is at 35 minutes from Amed.

Amed haaa! Paradise Destination!

[h=1][/h]

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Billt4SF,

When I went to the East of Bali in Amed I literally fall in love with the place, this is fantastic with the mountains and volcanos to the West and the ocean to the right. This is so quiet, people are friendly, the air is pure and the roads are in good state. Furthermore diving in Amed is their most popular touristic attraction. You have many different schools like Plouf Diving or Amed Scuba Bali Diving Center. You can find many beach side accommodations and it goes from affordable to upscale and yes they have few restaurants and other services. For bigger shopping center you can go to Hardy's Amlapura which is at 35 minutes from Amed.

Where's the best snorkeling in Amed?

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Hi Billt4SF,

[h=1][/h]

We loved visiting Amed for weeks at a time but decided to live in Ubud.

Unfortunately health considerations caused a delay and we now plan to arrive in late June.

THANKS for the feedback.

- Bill & Emily

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Markit,

There are several good spots for snorkeling in Amed like the Japanese Shipwreck Amed or Lipah Beach, Amed.

Hope it helps :)

Can I suggest you use Google maps as your map of choice for your site. The one you have gives almost no place information. For instance when I looked up the Japanese Wreck it puts a dot somewhere but who knows where that is or what it is close to - I would have to ask locals and trust me that is something I really, really hate doing!

On closer examination the map you are using is flat wrong on lots of place names - Subagan is at the other end of that long road and many more.

Last edited:

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Can I suggest you use Google maps as your map of choice for your site. The one you have gives almost no place information. For instance when I looked up the Japanese Wreck it puts a dot somewhere but who knows where that is or what it is close to - I would have to ask locals and trust me that is something I really, really hate doing!

On closer examination the map you are using is flat wrong on lots of place names - Subagan is at the other end of that long road and many more.

If it were me I would ask divers and especially dive shops.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014

Hello again Expats,

Back to being confused about visas.

We had to delay our trip for my hip surgery. Now planning to arrive 24 June and remain in Bali until September (a bit over 60 days) then return for several more months in late September. During September we'll be traveling to several cities.

Based on what I picked up on this thread, it seems to me that we should apply for a Sosbud visa using an agent here in SF before we go. Then we would have to extend it once before we leave in September. While we're in Bali we can try to find someone to sponsor us (reduce cost) and do the whole thing again when we're back in the States in September, but this could be difficult because we won't be in any one city for more than a week.

This is complicated! Or at any rate confusing.

Thanks in advance !!

- Bill

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hello again Expats,

Back to being confused about visas.

We had to delay our trip for my hip surgery. Now planning to arrive 24 June and remain in Bali until September (a bit over 60 days) then return for several more months in late September. During September we'll be traveling to several cities.

Based on what I picked up on this thread, it seems to me that we should apply for a Sosbud visa using an agent here in SF before we go. Then we would have to extend it once before we leave in September. While we're in Bali we can try to find someone to sponsor us (reduce cost) and do the whole thing again when we're back in the States in September, but this could be difficult because we won't be in any one city for more than a week.

This is complicated! Or at any rate confusing.

Thanks in advance !!

- Bill

Hi Bill...sorry to hear about your hip problem.

The red highlight above is correct but I doubt there an agent in SF (San Francisco?) who can sponsor the sosbud....it has to be someone in Indonesia. You can use an agent in Bali by internet (check Markit's recommendation)
The green highlight is also correct. If you cannot find some individual to sponsor for a beer then you can use the same agent in Bali, or any other, to sponsor for a fee.