Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
My wife and I are planning to move to Bali for a year to use it as a base to scuba dive around Indonesia.

We did a reconnaissance trip earlier this year and decided on Ubud – which we are now re-thinking. We’re now thinking of East Bali (close to diving and ocean view or breezes). I’m going in a few weeks to check things out and pick a place. We learned the hard way not to choose a place over the internet only!

We know we need a full-on Western comforts – we tried some Balinese-run places and we decided we would rather pay more to have a western-run place with full western comforts.

We are now thinking of East Bali, if we can find a villa with either scuba diving very close or at least a nearby beach.

Wondering what thoughts you all may have about our plans, and specifically East Bali – for a year. Some villas are right on the beach or very close – which sounds lovely during good weather but what about wind, rain, and such? are there strong trade winds in that area? Are there enough services (restaurants, basic shopping) in the area between Amed town and Tulamben? Are these areas developed for tourism?

The area around Candi Dasa also sounds nice but are there fun things there after you get out of a hotel? Ubud has its plusses and minusses but at least there are many things to do there!

Thanks in advance for any ideas and questions you might have.

Bill & Emily

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
My wife and I are planning to move to Bali for a year to use it as a base to scuba dive around Indonesia.

..... etc etc..... Ubud has its plusses and minusses but at least there are many things to do there!

Thanks in advance for any ideas and questions you might have.

Bill & Emily

One of the minusses for Ubud might be the complete lack of sea/ocean ... unless the plan is to scuba the rice paddies

Market is somewhere near Candi Dasa - I haven't been there for over 15 years, but it was pretty dead then

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
In my opinion, the success of your plan will basically come down to luck. Which is how I feel about most things in Bali/Indonesia. You'll never be able to predict what problems you might have with a rented house or with your neighbours. If you're really only staying for a year, it's probably better just to rent a place by the month. Then if it all goes to hell, you can just pack up and leave.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
From a scuba diving standpoint you won't find it any better anywhere on the island than in the Padang Bai, Tulamben, Candi Dasa triangle. As to living right on the beach I don't think much of it as it makes for a salty and sandy way of life, OK if you're only going for 2 or 3 weeks but for a whole year something set back a couple of hundred meters would be my personal choice.

You don't need to worry about weather on Bali as a rule we have very kindly breezes and no significant storms. Tulamben and Amed can get very, very warm in our summer season as the prevailing winds (welcome) are from south east usually and get stopped by the mighty Mt. Agung. This also affects the water making it very flat - good for snorkeling but, again IMHO, slightly boring for swimming. Try White Sandy Beach in the east when you visit.

I would recommend you stay well away from Ubud and the south of the island as both are becoming over-run and criminality is on the rise in both places. If it's tranquil Balinese paradise with diving you are are after you couldn't do much better than East Bali IMHO. There's plenty to do and some great restaurants within easy reach and only an hour and a half away from the airport - traffic willing.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum and Bali.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
In my opinion, the success of your plan will basically come down to luck. Which is how I feel about most things in Bali/Indonesia. You'll never be able to predict what problems you might have with a rented house or with your neighbours. If you're really only staying for a year, it's probably better just to rent a place by the month. Then if it all goes to hell, you can just pack up and leave.

You're wrong, DPSHouse. The success of the venture will be mostly determined by how my wife and I get along.

Maybe there is luck in that.

We do have in mind to flee the scene if we really hate it.

Thanks,

Bill

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
I'd like to plug the Amed area. Plenty of dive shops / schools in the area. Population there are pretty friendly and when they learn you're there for an extended time will learn your names before you introduce yourselves (Balinese telegraph). I had been absent for 8 months and the first day back got waves from people riding my motor through town that remembered me from before.

Rentals: Everyone knows someone that has a place to rent. Lots of warungs and restaurants but they all pretty much the same food just slightly different. If you like fish, always fresh choices available. There's a couple of places that specialize in Babi Guling. I never found a place that made a good hamburger or pizza.

If you think you really need AirCon you can find a place, I was fine with no A/C in less than two weeks.
There are many micro-climates in the area. Some places have no breeze but travel a Km and enough wind to knock your hat off.
Downside is for decent selection of groceries / household goods, you have to go to Amlapura about 45 minutes away. Culik has a stall market daily, better deals if you speak Indonesian. There are other small family run markets just learn to make do with what you can buy. Internet can be sucky at times depending on your carrier. I sometimes found myself amused waking in the morning and not knowing the day of the week, even when not heavily drinking the night before. More pretty girls than you can shake a stick at. I'll stop rambling now.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
You're wrong, DPSHouse. The success of the venture will be mostly determined by how my wife and I get along.

Maybe there is luck in that.

We do have in mind to flee the scene if we really hate it.

Thanks,

Bill

Hmm... sounds like a 'let's save our relationship' plan for disaster

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I suggest that before you "bed-down" anywhere for a year you come and have a look at the options and let "Bali" do it's work on you. You probably won't leave and just send the wife an SMS "pack, come"...

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
I suggest that before you "bed-down" anywhere for a year you come and have a look at the options and let "Bali" do it's work on you. You probably won't leave and just send the wife an SMS "pack, come"...

That's the plan. See you 27 Oct.

Having said that, nothing beats info from the locals!

- Bill

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Hay Markit, how do you like living in Karangasem? We have found some damn nice villas there.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's ok if you like radioactive waste dumps and mutated, rabid Great White Sharks swimming between piles of industrial effluent.

But some people are picky and want the AIDs infected head-hunters shot on sight.

Me? I believe in live and let live.

Come and see for yourself :O)

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
OK another related question for you Bali-expats:

We're now thinking of dividing our Bali time six months in Ubud and six months in either Amed or Karangasem.

My question is: are there many more mossies during the rainy season than in the dry season? Since it rains less in Amed (?) does this provide a strong reason to stay in Ubud in the dry season (but so many tourists!) and Amed in the rainy season? We originally thought to be in Amed in the N. American "summer" because our guests would probably prefer a beach.

No need to try again to convince us to abandon plans to stay in Ubud half the time. We visited there, liked it, and we think we'll like it for a few months. If we were to move to Bali permanently, we might make a different decision.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re: post#15

If you plan to stay in Bali for a year the first thing to consider is what visa will you get to achieve that? The only current visa for a year is a Kitas....either Retirement or WNI spouse related. All others will require you to leave RI, and return, at some point during the year.

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Amed... Even in dry season mozzies get blown in by the wind. So if you stay in a windy area (around Bisalantang) then most will just wave while passing by, some will however find sheltered areas to come out and torment you. I know two people in the area that came down with Dengue in the last year so wear repellant (especially during the day) or accept getting snacked on. Welcome Tokay and gecko into your home and that helps a bit.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Re: post#15

If you plan to stay in Bali for a year the first thing to consider is what visa will you get to achieve that? The only current visa for a year is a Kitas....either Retirement or WNI spouse related. All others will require you to leave RI, and return, at some point during the year.

What do you recommend? We will not need to work in Indo. Going to SIN for a few days a couple times a year seems OK, even phun. That might be less of a pain in the arse than documenting a kinds of crap to get a retirement visa?

Looking for your recommendation.

All this ASSumes that I get my passport back from the Indo Embassy here in SF this week, so we can take our villa-hunting trip next week.

- Bill

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Get a social visa through an agency (Bali IDE, Jani +62 (0)361 726 200- say "Hi" from Mark) and let them do the renewing up till your 6 months are up and then off for a shopping trip to SNG for either the same day return or a couple of shopping days (silly expensive! but the missus will love it) for the newest 6 months. Done and dusted 1 year.