bean

Mar 26, 2010
I am sponsoring my father to visit us on a social visit visa, and the agency he went to for a visa extension - Highway Bali - just asked me to sign a power of attorney to extend his visa for him.

Naturally I told them no way - but I want to make absolutely sure there is nothing in it because I am also thinking about reporting them to the police or some authority.

Has anyone *ever* been asked, as a sponsor of a visitor, to sign a power of attorney? Is there *any* reason that would be a valid request?

Ricbali

Jun 30, 2011
I am currently on a social visa and I can tell you there was no request made of my sponsor to sign anything of the sort.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I think they are asking for power of attorney because they are acting on your behalf to extend the visa.
Sometime agents don't ask, just depends on who they are paying the back hand to at immigration:icon_mrgreen:. The visa is only about 250,000rp & is not that hard to do yourself.

bean

Mar 26, 2010
I think it may just be a language thing. The document they sent through is nothing like a power of attorney. It's just a letter of authorisation.

They assure me that signing over my sponsorship to them is necessary, and that when I have done it in the past it has been illegally.

I can't argue with them - it's almost impossible to find someone who knows what the law really is ;)

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Are they asking you to change sponsor????
When your father arrived in Indonesia he would have his sobud visa stamped for 60 days,
1 week before the 60 days are up you go to the Immigration office, you need a form & stamps, this has to be filled out by his sponsor, with his form fill out & stamp, copy of his sponsor KTP. He can then renew it for 30 days, 1 week before the 30 days are up you start the renew process again.
I hope that helps

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

normally I don't do this :icon_rolleyes:but today, therefore, I would like to stand up for Highway - Bali, we use them since years (4 or 5 years or so) and even I live in Nusa Dua right now (and I HATE the road to go there just to bring some copies or pick up my passport) we're still using them, why?

Cause they're reliable, not like the others "we can do all for you" visa agencies, I was once inside the airport at Ngurah Rai and suddenly they found out that I had no "exit permit" (stupid me), the officer said it is impossible to get on my flight to Phuket, he refused "extra payments" and even my balinese wife couldn't change his mind, I appealed directly and personnaly to him "I paid all the flights and hotels...is there no way out?" No there wasn`t until I called Highway and they did it for me!

Great Job, indonesian visa regulations are weird and it`s not their fault if all the process is complicated.

They might be a little bit more expensive than others but they deliver...

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali

Has anyone *ever* been asked, as a sponsor of a visitor, to sign a power of attorney? Is there *any* reason that would be a valid request?

This is new to me. I have been involved with re-newing social visas for my friend andwe have used agents. The sponsor has only had to sign the sponsor letter and provide a copy of their identity card - nothing more.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The request seems strange to me also. Is the agent going to be you or your father's sponsor? I would suggest getting an Indonesian friend to be your sponsor. Apparently the changes in the new immigration laws make the sponsor more liable for any problems the foreigner causes, which is perhaps why the agent has asked you to sign something.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Hello,

normally I don't do this :icon_rolleyes:but today, therefore, I would like to stand up for Highway - Bali, we use them since years (4 or 5 years or so) and even I live in Nusa Dua right now (and I HATE the road to go there just to bring some copies or pick up my passport) we're still using them, why? ....

I had just the opposite experience with Highway Bali. In December I asked them to get an exit permit for me on an emergency basis. They asked for my KITAS and passport and a whole lot of money. I asked for and got a receipt for my documents.
I was to meet their 'agent' at the airport before the flight to get the documentation. The agent arrived,late, and asked to see my passport and KITAS. When I said he should have them he smirked and asked if I'd lost them. Thankfully I had my receipt. Otherwise I really don't think they would have started hurriedly looking for the documents they had misplaced. Almost missed my flight and a very unpleasant drama.
We now have a new agent, cheaper, and he comes to our house.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I just went to Immigration said I had a flight in 6 hours, two & a half hour later I was on my way to the airport with my exit permit. You should try & make friends with the Immigration office & only deal with the boss, make things a lot easier. yeh "I only paid the price on the board"

Lioness45

Aug 5, 2010
Can I ask a dumb question? Why or when do you need an exit visa. I am here on a 6 month single visit social visa. Will I need an exit visa before I leave Bali in October?

Ricbali

Jun 30, 2011
No, with six month single entry visa you will just leave the country and the visa will be void. Exit permits are for KITAS (work visa) and K3(Spouse Visa).

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
No, with six month single entry visa you will just leave the country and the visa will be void. Exit permits are for KITAS (work visa) and K3(Spouse Visa).

Do not confuse people:A KITAS is not a work visa(Kartu izin tinggal terbatas),but a temporary stay permit.People on a retirement visa also have a KITAS,but are not allowed to work.You do need a Kitas to get a workingpermit though.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Highway bandits!!

The long term expats, that have been bitten financially and every which way by this company, call them Highway Robbery. There are many visa agents out there, that do the right thing professionally and charge to correct rate.

alphonso

May 26, 2011
I have used Highway. They came through no problems.

I was recommended them by a local and I asked my local friend to please pass my phone number on to them. I was a n00b with all this but having a local friend vouch for them meant I didn't have to worry as much.

A few days later I got a call from Highway to tee up a pickup time. One of the employees came around to talk and discuss visa options and answer a whole bunch of questions i had. I gave the passport and a very small deposit and 1 week later I was phoned to say the passport was ready and if next day was good to drop it off. Next day sure enough in the nominated timeframe the passport was delivered with a fresh stamp. I then paid the balance on delivery. No issues at all, easy peasey - i didn't have to leave the house!

Because of this I have no hesitation using them again. Just my 2 bob's worth. :icon_e_smile: