BKT

Does anyone know the process of gaining duel citizenship for children of mixed marriages?. My wife and I had our first child 3 weeks ago and have been organizing the birth certificate. A friend of mine who works for the capil came over this morning and needed us to sign a few papers. He told us that we needed to decide then and there what nationality our child was going to be. I explained to him that we wanted duel citizenship but he wasn't sure about the process (he works in the accounting department). We have until may to sign the papers and get things organized. We just need to know how to go about it, has anyone done this before?

BKT, I can't give you answers on the dual citizenship issue but congratulations on the birth of your first child!! Boy or girl?

I got a British passport for our son from the consulate, first of all. Then went to immigration and they supplied an insert [small piece of paper] for the passport that gives him dual nationality. Can't remember how much, but not a lot. Well under 1 Juta. Thought it better to do this way than get the Indo passport and try to deal with the British immigration. He still has the choice when he is 18 years old which nationality to be. But I think even that law has changed recently and he may be entitled to a permanent kitas even with a British Passport.

Congratulations.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new arrival mate, the wife and I just found out this week we've got our first on the way too! Happy teddy bears!

Cheers,
Mark.

Congrats Mark and thanks everyone, he's a little ball of joy, trouble, noise and work all rolled in to one, he's eating like a horse to and in the last hour he's pee'd himself 3 times. Guess who has the job a changing the nappies :(

Mat what nationality did you put down on the birth certificate?. We're afraid what ever we put down he'll be locked into it.

Congrats on the lil one mate :icon_e_wink: Best you get NZ citizenship first, then apply for Indo passport. As Mat says, when they are 18, they can decide what nationality the want to be.

Well done BTK on the new point guard.Both my kids have Aussie and Indo passports.We had the piece of paper in the Aussie passport, but it caused a problem once in Japan , as nobody there understood Indonesian. My wife handles all the Indo stuff and l do all the Aussie paperwork.
We were amongst the first 100 people here in Bali to do the Dual citizenship thing, went to a big meeting in Sanur years ago, can't remember exactly when.
The oldest kid was born in Oz and came here when he was 7 weeks old, the youngest was born here in Denpasar 7 years ago, both had no problems getting Oz and Indonesian passports.
PM me your mobile number and my wife can contact your wife to give her all the details.l never want to know the process here, previously l tried but just became too frustrated, so now Made handles all local stuff....better for me, waste of brain space

Well done BTK on the new point guard.Both my kids have Aussie and Indo passports.We had the piece of paper in the Aussie passport, but it caused a problem once in Japan , as nobody there understood Indonesian. My wife handles all the Indo stuff and l do all the Aussie paperwork.
We were amongst the first 100 people here in Bali to do the Dual citizenship thing, went to a big meeting in Sanur years ago, can't remember exactly when.
The oldest kid was born in Oz and came here when he was 7 weeks old, the youngest was born here in Denpasar 7 years ago, both had no problems getting Oz and Indonesian passports.
PM me your mobile number and my wife can contact your wife to give her all the details.l never want to know the process here, previously l tried but just became too frustrated, so now Made handles all local stuff....better for me, waste of brain space

Haha probably a good idea :tongue:

I'll send you my number.

The little guy was born 55cm tall so I'm hoping he'll get to 7 foot, perfect size for a point guard :excitement:

Congrats Mark and thanks everyone, he's a little ball of joy, trouble, noise and work all rolled in to one, he's eating like a horse to and in the last hour he's pee'd himself 3 times. Guess who has the job a changing the nappies :(

Mat what nationality did you put down on the birth certificate?. We're afraid what ever we put down he'll be locked into it.

I got the original Indonesian birth certificate, then went to the consulate and got a British birth certificate. On one he is Indonesian on the other British. [Duel nationality]

If you wrote anything other than Indonesian on the Indonesian birth certificate then I expect you would need to get the foreign passport and then visas for your child. Our son is now 4 months but we haven't applied for Australian citizenship yet for him. Thanks for the reminder! The process looks pretty straight forward for Australians - Citizenship by Descent - Australian Embassy With all of these babies all future Balipod meetups will have to be at a venue with a playground.

Thanks for the info guys, hopefully I can sort it all out here without having to go to Jakarta.

congrats to both spicy and BKT with their baby's...
also ofcourse congrats to their wifes, who let's be honest did the hardest part :)

Congratulations! The indo consulate in Perth told me there is now a dual citizen card you can get (not sure if it applies to you) I couldn't make much sense of why you would need it when the kids have both passports, but she said they stick it in the Aussie passport and you don't need a visa when you travel to Indonesia. So I'm guessing you can just get 1 passport and the dual card. Maybe :) lol!

dual citizenship for newborn babies

did you ever get any satisfactory answers to this question? I have a friend asking the same questions now

did you ever get any satisfactory answers to this question? I have a friend asking the same questions now

Sorry I haven't got around to it yet, we put him down as Indonesian on his birth certificate, the next step is to apply for the duel citizenship slip at the NZ embassy in Jakarta. I think we'll get that sorted when we decide to head overseas next.

Sorry I haven't got around to it yet, we put him down as Indonesian on his birth certificate, the next step is to apply for the duel citizenship slip at the NZ embassy in Jakarta. I think we'll get that sorted when we decide to head overseas next.

Does the NZ embassy already know you have a newborn baby? I think there are time limits on how long you can wait before reporting a new born. I think mine was 30 days although I am pretty sure they can do it at a later time as well but may involve some more hassle / paperwork / time. Regulations to register a new born will most likely also vary from country to country

I rang the Embassy in Jakarta and they seem to think there isn't a time limit, as long as its before he's 18.

Before applying for the duel citizenship slip you need to

1. Apply for NZ citizenship
2. Apply for a passport

This can be done at the same time by filling out the forms and sending them to the NZ Embassy in Jakarta. Once you get the Passport you then go to immigration and apply for the slip.

I'll post a detailed explanation once the embassy emails me the full details.

You can download the form to register NZ citizenship by descent from The Department of Internal Affairs Te Tari Taiwhenua - dia.govt.nz under Citizenship tab. Documents required are as follows:

Birth Certificate of the applicant
Birth Certificate of the claim parent
Two passport-sized photos
Claim parent’s passport
Evidence of name used in the community – please refer to page 2 of the application form

The application fee for citizenship by descent registration is NZ$ 204.40 equals to IDR 1,435,000. The fee can be paid by cash at the Embassy or by credit card.

The form for Child passport can be downloaded from New Zealand passports Uruwhenua Aotearoa - New Zealand Passports (passports.govt.nz)

The application fee for passport is NZ$ 131.70 equals to IDR 924,000 for the standard service which takes 2 to 3 weeks of processing time and NZ$ 285 equals to IDR 2,000,000 for the urgent service which takes 10 working days of processing time.

All completed applications are to be sent to New Zealand Embassy in Jakarta. Address can be found in my details below.

IGUSTI AYU PARAMITA ( MITA)
CONSULAR OFFICER
NEW ZEALAND EMBASSY | JL ASIA AFRIKA NO 8 SENTRAL SENAYAN 2, 10th FLOOR JAKARTA 10270 |
021 - 29955821 | 08118601313

My son was born here in Minnesota. My wife is Indonesian and we are planning to move to Bali next year. I am going to try and take care of our Visas (My son and I) at the Indo Consulate in Chicago. Has anyone applied at the Indo Consulates abroad? I am assuming this would be the easiest way for me and my son. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kory

Back