spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I am not sure if this is a mistake or not, but all of the "top 5 restaurants in Indonesia" in this article from Reuters are in Bali!

"This is a list of the top 5 restaurants in Indonesia, where the cuisine is varied but fine dining still confined to the capital Jakarta and the island of Bali. It is not endorsed by Reuters."

The top 5 are:

1. Mozaic - Ubud

2. Ku De Ta - Seminyak

3. Naughty Nuri's Warung and Grill - Ubud

4. Sarong Bali Restaurant - Kerobokan

5. Bumbu Bali - Nusa Dua

Original article

Last edited:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I believe it's a joke. Although I like Naughty Nuri's, I doubt very much it would ever make it in ANY lists, well, maybe the list of the best warungs in Ubud.:icon_rolleyes:

The Miele Guide is certainly a guide on a par with the Michelin Guide. I cannot find anything about its "supposed" classification of the best in Indonesia. The only classification was for the Asia Top 20 for 2009/2010, in which Mozaic is # 6 (down 1 from 2008/2009), and Ku De Ta is # 9 (did not appear in 2008/2009).

Remember that ratings are not based on food quality alone, but include other factors, such as service and ambiance.

kitvy

Jul 29, 2010
www.kitvy.com
I am not sure if this is a mistake or not, but all of the "top 5 restaurants in Indonesia" in this article from Reuters are in Bali!

"This is a list of the top 5 restaurants in Indonesia, where the cuisine is varied but fine dining still confined to the capital Jakarta and the island of Bali. It is not endorsed by Reuters."

The top 5 are:

1. Mozaic - Ubud

2. Ku De Ta - Seminyak

3. Naughty Nuri's Warung and Grill - Ubud

4. Sarong Bali Restaurant - Kerobokan

5. Bumbu Bali - Nusa Dua

Original article

I agree with you.

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
I think the Reuters have not considered the other restaurants in Indonesia but focused mainly in Bali.
Although most restaurants in Bali are indeed considered world class since it has more tourist visitors than any other place in Indonesia so far.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Last night we had a delicious meal and a great evening at The Istanbul Restaurant in Pengosekan, Ubud. We'd recommend it to anyone located around Ubud and will be going back again. The meals were huge. We took home doggie bags (but don't tell our dogs ) :icon_biggrin:.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Last night we had a delicious meal and a great evening at The Istanbul Restaurant in Pengosekan, Ubud. We'd recommend it to anyone located around Ubud and will be going back again. The meals were huge. We took home doggie bags (but don't tell our dogs ) :icon_biggrin:.

Ah - I think I was there a few months back - I don't remember the name but there can't be all that many Turkish restaurants in that part of Ubud. I got there because it said free Wifi - but then they apologized it wasn't working (I have found a few places in Kuta like this - big sign, but sorry its broken). Then they seemed to only have a spoken menu - so you didn't get the usual price info - but the food was great and the prices quite reasonable. I plan to get back there - not sure how soon.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Ah - I think I was there a few months back - I don't remember the name but there can't be all that many Turkish restaurants in that part of Ubud. I got there because it said free Wifi - but then they apologized it wasn't working (I have found a few places in Kuta like this - big sign, but sorry its broken). Then they seemed to only have a spoken menu - so you didn't get the usual price info - but the food was great and the prices quite reasonable. I plan to get back there - not sure how soon.

Hi RonB, it could be the same place although I didn't see any sign for wi-fi but that may be because we were there for an evening out together and I wouldn't have noticed. Also, we did have menus and prices even though the owner suggested we let him choose. The meal started with the best salad I've had in Ubud and continued in that vein.

The Bear was interested in the pizza oven built by the owner since that is something we'd like to build at our house. And we could see into the kitchen so we had an idea of how clean it was.

Thanks for the Kakiang Ubud Bakery link. I'll be darkening their door very soon.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Turkish restaurant

yep, Ubud is great for those nice evenings in small, cozy restaurants.

Really appreciate this post as I am forever trying to find a decent restaurant in Ubud. Have always enjoyed Nomad, but have eaten there so much I am longing for something new.
Thus far Sittara in Denpasar on Teuku Umar seems the best for Indian cuisine and Restauran Renon in Renon for Chinese. Both are also reasonably priced and take credit cards without charging extra.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Really appreciate this post as I am forever trying to find a decent restaurant in Ubud. Have always enjoyed Nomad, but have eaten there so much I am longing for something new.
Thus far Sittara in Denpasar on Teuku Umar seems the best for Indian cuisine and Restauran Renon in Renon for Chinese. Both are also reasonably priced and take credit cards without charging extra.

There are many really good places to eat in Ubud but you mentioned Indian food so here's another recommendation. Indian Delights in Pengosekan has delicious Indian food.

Jeniekrag

Jul 4, 2011
Ya most of the Top restaurants are in Bali but not all.
The top restaurants of Indonesia are :

Cafe Bali,
Ibu Oka,
Jimbaran Fish Grilla,
Ku de Ta,
Mozaic.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Ya most of the Top restaurants are in Bali but not all.
The top restaurants of Indonesia are :

Cafe Bali,
Ibu Oka,
Jimbaran Fish Grilla,
Ku de Ta,
Mozaic.

I don't know who makes these choices and by what criteria, but would take exception to several for a variety of reasons. This kind of recommendation can be very misleading and certainly totally subjective. Having followed several of these over a period of time and been disappointed it occurs to me that making these flat statements w/o criteria is very hollow. Give reasons, not blatant assertions. Tastes and requirements depend upon the individual, and can't be a " one size fits all" determination.

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
These are the ones I use to recomend to my friends visiting Ubud but sorry, not especially for the food but for the garden or surroundings!!!
Cafe Wayan
Bebek Bengil or Dirty duck
Lotus
Murnis
Although, this summer I was invited by some friends to have dinner and we went to a place I have pass by thousand of times but never been inside, I always looked the beautiful frangipanis they have all the evenings at the stairs at the entrance of the restaurant!!!!

MIRO´S RESTAURANT

The garden of the restaurant is amezing!!! like a jungle, and I was totally fascinated with the smell of the tree at the right side on the top of the stairs, I don´t remember the name of the tree now but I love the smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I am not wrong only smell during the night, hahaha the next day I runned away to buy this tree to plant it in my garden!!!
Very very beautiful place, with old and anquite furniture and very nice places to relax and enjoy the company!!
I usually eat in warungs when I go out so about the food I cannot tell you much!!!! I ate everything and almost everything is good and tasty for me, but the location is so beautiful and deserve it a try!!!

rab

Sep 20, 2011
Happy Buddha Vegetarian Restaurant

I don't tend to go to "top restaurants." I like dives that serve great food. Here is one we love:

Happy Buddha Vegetarian Restaurant
Jalan Raya Kuta No 143, Kuta, Bali, Indonesia

Again, it is a dive -- no atmosphere, small, plain. The food is outstanding, however.

rab

Sep 20, 2011
Here is another one we like (very nice inside): Bumbu Desa. It is a chain, but they have one in Bali. The website is bumbudesa dot com.