BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Theres a new Warung in Gatsu Barat that opened a few months back that has great food, its called Hodaman Belabang or something, its behind KFC. Prices are slightly on the expensive side but the food is great and the atmosphere is awesome. If anyone decides to go there sit upstairs and try both the beef ribs and duck.

Liebling

Dec 4, 2011
Pilbara WA
I didn't like Ku de ta, however..................

I had a 'so-so' food experience at KDT, wouldn't eat there again.
I've become a bit of an addict of The Junction Seminyak of late and have always loved Massimos in Sanur.

If anyone can tell me where to go for escargot in garlic butter, I would appreciate it very much indeed.

I'm by myself for Christmas and, apart from a bucket of prawns and a nice cold white, my other gastronomical desire are snails. Yummmmmmmm

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I had a 'so-so' food experience at KDT, wouldn't eat there again.
I've become a bit of an addict of The Junction Seminyak of late and have always loved Massimos in Sanur.

Where is Massimos in Sanur? I'm also interested in other recommendations in Sanur since it isn't unreasonably far from our village.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Hi Polyanna

Kayumanis in Sanur is nice as well although I wouldn't add it to the top 5 restaurants in Bali. Another interesting restaurant, opposite Kayumanis is Restaurant Betawi which serves mainly lamb dishes, Betawi style.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
The Arena restaurant on the bypass in Sanur does a very nice dish of escargot in garlic butter. I often wander in there for a cold beer and a dish of escargot. It is accompanied with a slab of crusty bread.
Liebling, we could possibly wander in there together during your time here.
Charming restaurant on Jalan Tamblingan also serves a nice escargot dish. These are presented complete with their shell.
With this snail dish you are also presented a set of stainless steel tongs and the stainless steel fork. To manipulate these you require the dexterity of a brain surgeon. However with a bit of practice I have found that I can turn a snail into a missile and launch it onto my eating companions' plates.
Important Note* Do not attempt the snail launching maneuver in a crowded restaurant. It is generally not considered good table manners*

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
In 1985, the most popular hang-out for the expats was Ibu Dewi, a small warung, on the way down to the Tjampuhan bridge, right next to where the entrance to Ibah is. Actually, Ibu's warung was demolished to make room for this entrance.

Here are couple of pictures of the warung, showing poor Ibu, who is now, and has been for many years, homeless in Ubud.

Attachments

• img6558.jpg
    img6558.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 55
  • img6559.jpg
    img6559.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 57

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
...If anyone can tell me where to go for escargot in garlic butter, I would appreciate it very much indeed.

no.idea said:
The Arena restaurant on the bypass in Sanur does a very nice dish of escargot in garlic butter. I often wander in there for a cold beer and a dish of escargot. It is accompanied with a slab of crusty bread.

Warung Eropa in jalan Petitenget also serves escargot in garlic butter and prices are reasonable.