C

CanonMan

A couple of people have posted negative implications about people meeting online. Maybe I am naive, but in this big world today a lot of people are meeting online, and what is so bad about that? The choice aspect is still there. No one is getting mesmerized or seduced because they chose getting acquainted by online contact. Profiles are available that provide some basic information so people can make some initial decisions as to whether they are interested and make contact based on their individual preferences or interests. How would one equate that with the bar scenario?
I personally couldn't give a hoot where or how people meet. I was merely reflecting on the age old assumption by many, and the possible stigma attached to it, of older men marrying Asian women stemming from two stereotypical assumptions:

a) They proposed to the young lady after a night on the tiles
b) They proposed after a whirlwind 'cyber romance'

With neither of these scenarios being true in our case I just find it quite tickling when people still sail their moral outlook along these lines.

Cheers,
Mark.

HORO

Dec 19, 2012
Goldcoast Australia/ bali
Hi everybody,
This is my first post to this forum or any forum in fact ! so excuse me if I sound nervous? I have been married to my Beautiful Balinese Wife now coming up to 5 years and I have not ever heard anyone say any smart remarks about us Yet , Thankfully! But on occasions do get the feeling maybe we are getting strange looks? ( maybe because Ayu is Cantik sekali and I am a average Joe?) Just joking?
But I do pity the Unfortunate fool , whether it be Local or tourist who dare say something within hearing range of my wife, as she is a very strong willed Lady and would NOT hesitate to put those Jealous small minded people in there place!
And as for me I think I am the luckiest man in the World!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Thanks Nakal and Ron (did the move to another part of Bali help?) for your take on, lets be honest, a big problem. And mostly for the Indonesian partner who you love and would not wish to see hurt or upset by these assholes, both foreign and local. ................

This was a few years ago, and initially it seemed to me that it was helpful. Recently, i have heard they have separated, so maybe there is a complex story and these spiteful comments were just one thread of a tangled web.

Nakal

Nov 9, 2006
Anywhere
Nakal wrote: Same thing counts for the name calling when we walked on Kuta beach for example... when she was still living in Bali they just knew she was local and walking with a bule... so she would classify as a hooker in their opinion. Few years later (after she moved to Holland) walking on the same beach, or any other spot, no such thing.

Nakal I wonder if the change in reaction had to do with your wife wearing clothes made in Holland, hair cut there and shoes too?

Well she wasn't walking around in typical clothes from Matahari, so probably she wasn't "classified" as a local anymore. Could be one of the reasons...

As for different responses in different areas of Bali..
In my experience these negative kind of responses are mostly happening in areas where people are more westernized. You automatically get labelled as hooker/leech/whatever because the western mind is a bit narrow minded.
Whenever we went to the kampung, away from the lovely southern area, people (locals) were way more openminded and accepted it without a doubt.
What most likely did help is that our age difference is only 4 years.

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
So, your wife's a hooker, interesting life choice. She musy have a great . . . heart!

Reminds me of the old American comedian's line of "Take my wife . . . please." If you added she's only 250,000 IDR. I recently saw a T shirt a male tourist was wearing, it said " I'm not gay but 20 dollars is 20 dollars", he must have been from Australia.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Interesting stuff - thanks Rasi for your take on the female side of things.

About the kampung visits, i agree, locals in the villages are much more accepting and not near as judgemental or perhaps they are more in tune with what people have to do here to simply survive and hence not so negatively judgemental of the choice others (have to) make?

The age difference really does make an issue - like "he's so much older there's no way he could get that without a shedload of dosh".

Personally being both rich and beautiful I can say helps with this one but unfortunately no good for the rest of you fugly uckers.

Might also get a white cane and let the missus lead you around by the hand or a wheelchair if you're feeling lazy.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Another thing, my wife is always getting advice from other Indonesian women on the best way to get all my money off me as quickly as possible and then leave me. Makes me think what they assume she is and why she married me. Very sad for my wife.

Mat, to save you any concerns about your wife getting the money I suggest you give it all to me. Your wife can then happily tell her "financial advisers" that you have no money left.
I have sent banking details via a PM.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Mat the sad truth is that the same advice is given in the west between wives/girlfriends so don't feel like you're being picked on.

no.idea have finished off that bottle of whisky yet - you do know it goes off very quickly in this heat?

Am willing to drink it myself since you didn't offer a doggy-bottle last time.

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
My husban is an Australian fly in fly out worker..
Each flight he strikes up a conversation with the passengers next to him..
All of them assume he is married to a Balinese Woman, once he tells them...
No my wife is Australian, they treat him in a more friendly kind manner..

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Might be fun to have three or more females following you just to hear the jaws dropping.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Might be fun to have three or more females following you just to hear the jaws dropping.

Lol that sounds good. I have had 2 woman on my Bike before and was getting some funny looks, and yes I did feel like the man :)

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
My husban is an Australian fly in fly out worker..
Each flight he strikes up a conversation with the passengers next to him..
All of them assume he is married to a Balinese Woman, once he tells them...
No my wife is Australian, they treat him in a more friendly kind manner..

Might get a more interesting responses if he mentioned he had a Australian wife in Australia and a Balinese wife on Bali? Actually not a bad idea . . . that's probably why I'm divorced?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Lea does is your hubby talking to predominantly men or women?

Rangi I don't get that when I have 2/3 in my car?

Sugarbear you've missed the point here a bit - the idea is to stop people making snide comments - no one seems to have any trouble causing them... :O) mabye that's why you are divorced?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
not related to namecalling as the thread says, but shocking people a bit is also funny...
when going out on a typical friday/saturday night, introduce the wife as your wife, and then the second girl as your GF and the third girl as the wifes GF :D

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Never happend to us after 30 years of being together. It might be because we have almost always had a child or 4 in tow and perhaps the fact that my sons are pretty big. My youngest boy is 6' 2 ' and a weight lifter. :) Also the whole of our extended family (The Toraja Mafia) might just have had something to say :)

Seriously though many western men do meet, fall in love and marry bar girls. I am not judging either the man or the girl but it does add to the natural difficulties with which any mixed race couple may face.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Unfortunately most of the mixed relationships here are in their early stages and hence not too many 2 meter kids to stick up for them yet and probably aren't all related to the Asian equivalent of the Gambino family either.

Still Jimbo nice to see you back on the forum.

Did nursey forget to lock up the PC again?

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
no.idea have finished off that bottle of whisky yet - you do know it goes off very quickly in this heat?
Am willing to drink it myself since you didn't offer a doggy-bottle last time.

Okay Markit, a doggy bottle is on offer next time. We will drag Andrew over from next door. He told me that he has never met an idiot before. I said " have I got a deal for you"

Boxhead

Jan 7, 2013
Sumbawa
I take my wife back to Oz and some people want to throw rocks at me, they seem to forget that there was a huge age differance between Princess Dianna and Charlie

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
Just make certain that your exwife is not in the crowd, unless she has passed through a metal detector.