ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi Ron,
please would you give me some guidance about to 'recharge' ?
i asked the phone pulsa seller around the corner, she didn't know.

OK, first choose the plan you want. The pre-paid plans are at the bottom of the page
Paket Telkomsel Flash - Telkomsel

Suppose you go for the Rp200,000 plan that allows you 1.5GB download, once you go past that you are speed limited to 64K for the rest of that month.

What you need to do is

1. put the SIM card in a mobile phone, go to any shop with pulsa and get Rp200,000 added to the SIM card

2. put the SIM card back in the USB modem, then using the software provided send an SMS message to 3636 where the message is UL REG 200

3. you should receive a message back saying (rough translation) " are you sure you want to spend 200K?"

4. you confirm with as SMS message to 3636 that says UL YA

5. if it all works you can then send a message to 3636 with UL INFO and you should get a message back saying how much of the 1500MB remains, and which date your month will run out

jaime

Feb 15, 2011
ronb thank you very much for the information.
I´ve been in Telkomsel (Denpasar) and you explained better than the woman works there.

DelMundo

Mar 31, 2011
Broadband in Bali

I've been in Bali a few weeks and have been messing around with the various broadband since I got back here: there are a bunch. "3," Simpati, XL, Axis, Flash, Smart.

I've had good and bad luck with the same carriers, and it seems very dependent on how many people in your area are using the same, I presume, tower.

In December I had "3" and their 3G was fantastic, I was able to make Skype calls! Arriving back and living in a different place, I rarely got 3G, and the EDGE I did get was unusable, to the point I thought something was wrong with my iPhone. My friend just activated 3G and where he lives, its awesome. So there ya go, geography.

I just got a Axis SIM. They've got a deal now where (in addition to 10,000 free SMS per day after you pay 100rp for the first one) you can get a daily 100MB package for rp3000. At the moment I'm just doing another one of these as they run out....keeps you honest about how much you spend!

In the long term, Smart seems like the way to go. 140,000 for a month of unlimited is the best deal around if you get good service. The modem will set ya back, say 500,000 as its CDMA. So you can't use your 3G phone.

But again, location-location-location. So before ya splurge on Smart, try and see what the signal looks like for ya....

Cheers,

Ryan

time to actually do it !

Hi Ron,
thank you for your past time in sharing IT information on balipod.

my 30 days have now expired (am using public access at accommodation to write this)

it's time to renew, and i've run up against a couple of hopefully minor obstacles.
sincerely hoping you can assist, again ... :)

1. i would like to continue with the hideously slow but reliable unlimited dial up plan found near the page you directed me to (look at left hand side for Perdana Flash unlimited)

i paid 50 000 for 30 hari.

when i send off the msg as you suggest, how will the ISP know that i wish my pulsa to buy the hideously slow dial up plan and not something else ?

2. I have sent UL INFO to the ISP and received a reply saying
Anda tidak mempunyai paket TELKOMSELFlash Unlimited
which i translate as ""you have no paket"

does this simply mean i'm out of credit and need more pulsa, or is this telling me i now must buy a new SIM as well ... ?

please excuse the ditziness, i'm having trouble getting any kind of straight answers from the sellers nearby. ... ... it does seem that nobody knows but you :icon_razz:

good and grateful regards, kate

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The Telkomsel page says that 50,000 gets 14 days - while 100,000 gets 30 days.

Anyhow when the period expires, I guess you don't have unlimited any more, hence the reply to your UL INFO.

So you need to have credit on the SIM card and then do UL REG 50K or UL REG 100K to register for another period.

Thanks for reply Ron, i was referring to the Perdana (also a Telkomsel product/service) page, which gives 30 for 50 000, but there is no 100 000.

That is why i'm not sure how the ISP will recognise whether the pulsa is for Perdana or Paket Telkomsel.

However, i'm sure you're well and truly sick of this, i'll have to pay up and find out!
:icon_wink:
cheers

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
OK - I have looked at the Perdana offering but don't really understand how they know if you are registering for the Perdana 50K deal, or the regular (14 day) 50K deal. It is confusing. If you sort it out let us know.

PieterC

May 3, 2011
I will stay in Kuta for 2 months and want to get the Smart mobile broadband. I would like to buy the 500k modem instead of paying 1 million for the Smart modem. Is the MF626 compatible with the Smart cards, because of the CDMA?

Thanks for the tips.

heerhugo

Jan 5, 2009
Sanur

Anyhow when the period expires, I guess you don't have unlimited any more, hence the reply to your UL INFO.

So you need to have credit on the SIM card and then do UL REG 50K or UL REG 100K to register for another period.

I also use telkomsel flash, if you are run out of your datalimit but you are still in your period. You first have to cancel your last subscription first before register again

So first send 'UL OFF' to 3636
And then register again as stated above

hope this helps,

Hugo

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I will stay in Kuta for 2 months and want to get the Smart mobile broadband. I would like to buy the 500k modem instead of paying 1 million for the Smart modem. Is the MF626 compatible with the Smart cards, because of the CDMA?

Thanks for the tips.

I don't know anythng about smart cards. But I don't think the MF626 supports CMDA networks. If you look at its specifications, for example at ZTE MF626 Datacard FAQ - ZTE Corporation
it mentions WCDMA as one of its protocols - but I think this is not the same as protocols on the so-called CDMA networks.

Lou

Nov 12, 2004
Ubud
Can't get rid of that bloody red face icon but anyway ...........

Really useful stuff Ronb, thank you very much. Let me add a bit to the knowledge pool after following your advice.

Having a GenY in the house along with her frequent visitor IPad/IPhone toting friends I was after a solution that incorporated some kind of multi port router. There is such a beast made by the same company and sold under the same mostly UK labels. Ours is branded "3 - Three.co.uk" and is a Huawei E585 sold at RTC. It cost Rp1.4 million and can have 5 simultaneous Wifi connections. Activation is the same as you described and it works straight away. I'm about to shift over from the simPATI pre paid service to Kartu Halo because of occasional but irritating low priority peak period freezes, although any extra speed will be welcome too.

Just to emphasize the caution that this is not a universal solution. It's necessary to have a good cellular signal. Thanks to an eyesore tower about 1 Km away we have an excellent one.

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
...............There is such a beast made by the same company and sold under the same mostly UK labels. Ours is branded "3 - Three.co.uk" and is a Huawei E585 sold at RTC. It cost Rp1.4 million and can have 5 simultaneous Wifi connections. Activation is the same as you described and it works straight away. I'm about to shift over from the simPATI pre paid service to Kartu Halo because of occasional but irritating low priority peak period freezes, although any extra speed will be welcome too. ..........

Thanks for the info on Huawei E585 - maybe I will consider one to give more freedom to connect multiple laptops or whatever.

wayansamy

May 28, 2011
eco beach
your internet

Hi
I am looking to come to Bali for 2-3 months early next year. Just wondering if you can get USB broadband modems up there yet and if they are are available on prepaid/reasonably priced. Will probably be in an apartment with no internet wired in.

thanks

Tracey
you can buy a usb key in indosat or telkomsel for 800 000 rp and every month 200 000rp and you have internet

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You can get the USB dongle anywhere and all you need from telkomsel is the sim card to go in it - that will cost you 50/100k for the monthly plan.

USB dongles cost about 400k for new here in Bali - the rest of the world is ... less, surprise!

Wayansamy if you are happy with your price you can buy mine for 600k or are you interested in making some business here? Surprise!

steelersman

Jul 3, 2011
You can get the USB dongle anywhere and all you need from telkomsel is the sim card to go in it - that will cost you 50/100k for the monthly plan.

USB dongles cost about 400k for new here in Bali - the rest of the world is ... less, surprise!

Wayansamy if you are happy with your price you can buy mine for 600k or are you interested in making some business here? Surprise!

How fast in the USB dongle? Is it fast enough to Sykpe on?