What ownership structure are you considering for Bali property purchase?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hypertokyo

Aug 18, 2005
Tokyo, Japan
Hello.
If you are looking for an Indonesian nominee for your property purchase in Bali, I might be able to help.
I'm an Indonesian citizen and would be pleased to offer my services as a third-party nominee.
I'm non-Balinese and have no interests connected with local families or groups. As a finance and real estate professional, I'm familiar with the legal aspects of owning property in Indonesia, although I've lived overseas for more than 2/3 of my life.
I can assure you of impartiality, reliability, and sound advice.
Your notaris or real estate agent may suggest nominees, or you may ask a friend, but for your added security I think it is always best to have a third party like myself. An added advantage of having an Indonesian nominee (and a creditworthy one :) is that under the freehold structure you may be able to take advantage of local bank loans to finance your purchase.
Please ask me if you need a director for your PMA or offshore investment vehicle.
Contact me by PM or email (see my profile) for more details.

Regards,
A.T.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Did you actually pick your name Hypertokyo to be calming and trustworthy for your potential client base?

You write "I'm an Indonesian citizen and would be pleased to offer my services as a third-party nominee". What is a third-party nominee?

You write "I'm non-Balinese and have no interests connected with local families or groups. As a finance and real estate professional, I'm familiar with the legal aspects of owning property in Indonesia, although I've lived overseas for more than 2/3 of my life."

What is to keep you from hairing off with my property/money since you have no connections to local families or groups and have spent most of your days somewhere else anyway?

You write "I can assure you of impartiality, reliability, and sound advice."
Bernie Madoff did that too.

You write "Your notaris or real estate agent may suggest nominees, or you may ask a friend, but for your added security I think it is always best to have a third party like myself."
Well, you would wouldn't you? How does that give added security?

You write "An added advantage of having an Indonesian nominee (and a creditworthy one :) is that under the freehold structure you may be able to take advantage of local bank loans to finance your purchase."
Don't you mean that YOU could take advantage of local bank loans to finance the purchase as the nominal owner of said property? We wouldn't own squat.

I'm gonna stand back now so as not to get trampled in the stampede :eagerness:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
So what do you charge for your service? And are you prepared to fly to Bali everytime something needs to be signed?

hypertokyo

Aug 18, 2005
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for your questions Markit and spicyayam.
They are quite pertinent and I shall attempt to answer.

- "Third party" just means that I am not related to, nor influenced by the seller or agent. I am on your side, not theirs. And not every buyer has a trustworthy Indonesian citizen friend who can assist. Serious potential clients are welcome to conduct full due diligence on my credentials and background.

- Regarding loans, that is exactly the point. I may be able to obtain financing on your behalf. You can't do that with a PMA (CMIIW).

- What's keeping me from running off with your property or money? Well, why would I? It would betray your trust, destroy my professional reputation, and risk litigation... I am not going in without a fistful of agreements clearly defining your rights (limiting mine) to the real estate, if need be under both Indonesian *and* your country's laws. In fact, I insist on proper legal documentation.

- My fee consists of a one-time payment upon closing of the transaction (a small % of the price), plus reimbursement for reasonable travel expenses from Tokyo. If we can get the documents and scheduling done right, hopefully I won't need to fly out to Bali more than twice: once to meet you and once to close.

Hope this helps Markit and spicyayam!
A.T.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Well, we have another option if we can only persuade Markit to become an Indonesian citizen. And we will only have to pay him in cheese, and a bimo fare from karangasem to wherever in bali we buy our land. :topsy_turvy: Hmmm, if we start a cheese factory in Bali could be even cheaper.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I'm sorry but in Australia we only have April fools on the 1st.
"Third party" just means that I am not related to, nor influenced by the seller or agent. I am on your side, not theirs. And not every buyer has a trustworthy Indonesian citizen friend who can assist. Serious potential clients are welcome to conduct full due diligence on my credentials and background.
So when something goes wrong you will reimburse me the money I loose, if I can find you.

Regarding loans, that is exactly the point. I may be able to obtain financing on your behalf. You can't do that with a PMA (CMIIW).
So you can go to your loan shark & he will finance the property in my name & knee cap me if i don't pay, after you run off with the land title.

What's keeping me from running off with your property or money? Well, why would I? It would betray your trust, destroy my professional reputation, and risk litigation... I am not going in without a fistful of agreements clearly defining your rights (limiting mine) to the real estate, if need be under both Indonesian *and* your country's laws. In fact, I insist on proper legal documentation.
There is only ONE law Indonesian & I can't own land, there is nothing stopping you from running off with the property/money, the agreement mean nothing in court.

My fee consists of a one-time payment upon closing of the transaction (a small % of the price), plus reimbursement for reasonable travel expenses from Tokyo. If we can get the documents and scheduling done right, hopefully I won't need to fly out to Bali more than twice: once to meet you and once to close.
This is a business made in heaven, I wonder why nobody came up with it before. You phone must be running hot, you email address is full, I will just run out & look for some land, I will get back to you very soon.
I we need a spam block???

Nakal

Nov 9, 2006
Anywhere
Can someone bring me a new pair of pants? I just pissed in mine....

By the way, if you need a nominee, I'm sure my wife would be happy to act as such.
I guarantee she won't rip you off.... can't say the same about myself though. Depends on property size :)

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
Fred 2; I stand by my words sir.
Your arrogant, cynical tone is uncalled for. I hope others can be more civil.
Good day.

Hi Tokyo, if you don't like arrogant cynical tones this isn't the forum for you. And I'm only new here and I figured that out in about.....45 seconds. But guys are there business's out there that do this ? If not why not? A legitimate company you pay say a % of the purchase price to be the nominee with a legal contract that that has that many clauses in it, not only would the foreigner need to die but for example so would 20 more people that person nominates. Or would the government say no way hozay! And Markits not Indonesian citizen??? WOWEE!! :D

bjbjrowe

Apr 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
I think I just found a line of business for my Balinese son-in-law that will need a way to make a living once he returns to Bali... Any takers? Mother-in-law needs nice place with A/C and other western amenities like a refrigerator with lots of ice and diet coke.

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Good day.

Well looking at the times you post vs. time in Tokyo, you are very dedicated replying so early in your morning.
But what he said is true...
tell you what, give me 20000 USD and I will invest it for you in US real estate and charge you only 1% for my effort. I have many contacts in U.S. mortgage industry and can help you with how the system works. We buy property and rent it out to govt. assisted persons.

Wondering what time you reply to this one.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Good day.

I'm sorry you think this way, For a Indonesian person to post things that are illegal, and misleading dose not give me confidence in you.
As you know the nominee system is illegal & will not hold up in a court in Indonesia or my home country.
As a foreigner in this country I can not get a credit card let alone a bank loan.
As I don't know who you are, but I would spend hundreds of thousand of dollars on land & put the titles in your name. You must think I'm @$#% in the head.

So lets look at this: You get into debt & the bank, police or loan shark finds you have land titles & what do I do??? Bend Over.
You take a loan out against my property & I don't find out till the for sale sign is on my front wall. Hang on I have a paper that said you can't. Bend Over
I sign a paper that said I loan you money to buy land, shit now I have admitted that it is your land. Bend over
I could go on all day, Mister Hypertokyo (5 post in 8 years) if you think this post is arrogant, cynical tone you can ring me on 1300 IDONTGIVEA@#$%
Have a nice day in paradise

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
So why would you pay a nominee anything? If it is someone you trust and they also trust you, I would assume that this is called a friendship.
My Indonesian wife has happily taken on the role of nominee for friends of mine and not expected money in return.
I have one Kiwi and two Australian friends who have become Indonesian citizens. They are also happy to help people without expecting money in return.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I think lots of people pay there nominee yearly. If you don't mine me asking why would a Australian citizen change to Indonesian? I have only heard of one Kiwi changing & the Indonesia immigration couldn't understand why, it took years to do.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
If you don't mine me asking why would a Australian citizen change to Indonesian?

The reason is primarily about buying land in their own name. The Kiwi has many millions of dollars worth of property in Indonesia. He had dual Australian and Kiwi citizenship. He surrendered his Australian passport and citizenship. By retaining his Kiwi citizenship he can still enter Australia so nothing has changed except he can own land in his own name. Due to the normal bureaucratic mix up both Australians have also retained there Australian passports so nothing has changed for them except they could purchase their hotels in their own names.
To be honest I would happily give away my Australian citizenship. That country has nothing to offer me. Look at their ridiculous rules. In my case if I wished to apply for an Aged Pension when I reach 66, I would have to return to Australia and live there for two years. I can not imagine wanting to do that after living out of the country for 21 years.
However they are quite happy to tax me on investments I have there.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
The reason is primarily about buying land in their own name. The Kiwi has many millions of dollars worth of property in Indonesia. He had dual Australian and Kiwi citizenship. He surrendered his Australian passport and citizenship. By retaining his Kiwi citizenship he can still enter Australia so nothing has changed except he can own land in his own name. Due to the normal bureaucratic mix up both Australians have also retained there Australian passports so nothing has changed for them except they could purchase their hotels in their own names

Unless I was wrongly informed, Indonesia does not recognise dual citizenship, except for children of mixed Indonesian-foreign marriages and thats until the children get to 18 yrs of age, and then they must choose.
If the NZ guy became Indonesian, he would have to relinquish his NZ citizenship.
If you have information to the contrary it would be interesting to know.

Last edited:

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
I think I just found a line of business for my Balinese son-in-law that will need a way to make a living once he returns to Bali... Any takers? Mother-in-law needs nice place with A/C and other western amenities like a refrigerator with lots of ice and diet coke.
I think Mr Hyper is expecting a package of all paid in vacations from Tokyo to Bali and a hefty percentage of the sales,
you might beat him and made a new corporation to fulfill your daughter and son in law dreams:icon_e_biggrin:

Unless I was wrongly informed, Indonesia does not recognise dual citizenship, except for children of mixed Indonesian-foreign marriages and thats until the children get to 18 yrs of age, and then they must choose.
If the NZ guy became Indonesian, he would have to relinquish his NZ citizenship.
If you have information to the contrary it would be interesting to know.
The law states it like that, but the truth is there's a number of Indonesian people hold a dual citizenship and a long as they don't get caught or published, they can sleep soundly at night and go on with their life.