Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok just checked on pricing with my "pusher" and it's gone up (surprise, surprise) to 139k/bottle, since I'm not a wine drinker didn't keep track so sorry if you got all moist and tender for nothing.

ertert

Jul 24, 2010
I am feeling generous, therefore I will give you a very useful web site for buying good quality imported food in Bali. They deliver daily and their minimum order is 500,000 rupiah.
Alam Boga Indonesia Food Supplies - About Us
I have the current price list as well. For example half shell scallops for 90,000 a kilo and green lip mussels in the shell for 55,000 a kilo.

Alright got a chilled Aussie Rib Eye from here today (thanks no.idea) but it wasn't all Bintangs and sunshine...

After a couple of emails I got a price list (can't post coz it's a 2mb PDF just email them if interested)

Then looked them up on google maps which sent me to North Denpasar on a wild goose chase last week.

Emailed for directions. Take the turn opposite Bali Adventure Tours on By Pass Ngurah Rai then take the first
left and its 100m on the right.

It is a warehouse that delivers to restaurants etc. I went to the front desk and said I want to buy some meat
and was told to have a seat. After a few minutes a nice lady asked what I was after. I said Rib Eye Steak and
Lamb. The only Lamb available was shanks and rack of lamb. I said Rack of lamb.

Although the email price list is extensive what they have available may be more limited. A few minutes later
I was shown a 3.5 kilo Aussie Rib Eye @ 160,000 per kilo and a 1 kilo rack of Lamb @ 190,000.
I passed on the frozen Lamb rack as it was fully trimmed and had no fat on it but grabbed the chilled fatty
Rib Eye total 565,000. Great Value.

Then coming home on the Toll road got confused which road to take and chose poorly.............

Ended up on the car lane instead of the motorbike lane ending in a very expensive journey with toll + the
obligatory ticket to the Policemans ball...

The meat is good not going to win any awards for flavour but great value. The Darwin shopping run has been
dismissed.

Appreciate advice on any other good meat suppliers people can suggest. Thanks again No.Idea you sure got
a better idea than me!
IMG_20140910_193318.jpg
IMG_20140910_195949.jpg

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Your photo shows something that has always interested me in Indonesia. For some reason fry pans 'have' to be made with a base too small to sit evenly on a gas cooker.

ertert

Jul 24, 2010
The fat of the Lamb

Davita has suggested I try Raja meats.

They have a good website with prices.

I went to the Sanur shop there is also one in Kerobokan.

I picked up some Aussie Lamb chops and cutlets @ 265,000rp per kilo.

And some pork bones for the dogs @ 25,000 per kilo

I have seen lamb racks cheaper elsewhere but they have had no fat

on them at all which is no good to me.

The shop is just a bank of freezers with prepackaged meat.

After defrosting and cooking the lamb chops were delicious.

IMG_20141006_214556.jpg

IMG_20141006_230426.jpg

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
They are expensive.....their salmon also, but good...but, their lamb legs are very reasonably priced....their beef sausages are not much good though imho....pork very good and pies are great.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'll confess...I cannot cook!
So, when wifey is back in Jakarta I live on pub-grub or, occasionally, try to heat up a frozen Raja pie in an electric toaster-oven or our big gas oven, as we don't have a micro-wave. I've never had any success as the pie-crust is always stodgy. Is it possible those meat pies are designed for a micro-wave so the crust becomes ...well ...crusty?

I need help as she is going to Jakarta again, in a couple of weeks.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
We dont have an oven of any sorts...missus did it in the fying pan i think, keep it off the base and put a lid or pot over it...anyway, twas crusty as a fat mans crotch

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I'll confess...I cannot cook!
So, when wifey is back in Jakarta I live on pub-grub or, occasionally, try to heat up a frozen Raja pie in an electric toaster-oven or our big gas oven, as we don't have a micro-wave. I've never had any success as the pie-crust is always stodgy. Is it possible those meat pies are designed for a micro-wave so the crust becomes ...well ...crusty?

I need help as she is going to Jakarta again, in a couple of weeks.

I found the pies really hard to cook in those toaster ovens. It would burn on the outside before the inside was cooked. Microwaves are even worse. I suppose it is the low wattage of the appliances that make it difficult.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
We dont have an oven of any sorts...missus did it in the fying pan i think, keep it off the base and put a lid or pot over it...anyway, twas crusty as a fat mans crotch

Thanks for the info...I'm not sure it is useful however...the image you created of the crust has destroyed my appetite for pies...probably forever...:icon_e_biggrin:

edit: thanks spicy...I agree but I thought pies were pre-cooked and all I had to do was heat them up after thawing...seems I have a lot to learn.
I'll probably just go back to pub-grub!!!

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You all need to have adult supervision.

Pies in the microwave?

On the stove top?

Go to GOOGLE and type BAKE PIES IN THE OVEN.

Fecking clear why they all think Bule are idiots aint it?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Go to GOOGLE and type BAKE PIES IN THE OVEN.

I followed your order Sir and all I got was how to MAKE a pie...that is one step too far for me. All I asked was how to heat one-up without the crust tasting like wallpaper glue!
I know Peter, the owner of Raja meat...maybe he has some ideas.
Samsiam wife's concept has merit (thanks sam) but fried meat pie just doesn't sound kosher.....then I thought of the Korean 'HappyCall' closing frying pan, which is also a steamer, but the pie won't fit when closed....it's about 20 cm too tall...:icon_e_surprised:
I could buy a micro-wave...but the one we have in Jakarta cost an arm and a leg as it's built-in to match the oven...wtf was I thinkin'...it's just there to heat-up stuff from the freezer. It works but someone said here on this thread that a cheap one won't do the job either.

OH! woe is me... looks like I'll need to go to the pub for makan when my wife is away...they serve meat pies, bangers and mash, fish and chips, roast beef on Sundays...and now have Chinese take-away.
Who says I'm not cultured in Asian ways...:icon_e_biggrin:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
maybe cook the meat pie in the rice cooker on that top bowl ? be more steamed would that work ?

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Son had one last night...forgot to see how she did it....but its not fried....sit something like a cake rack or such in the pan, keep it up off the pan bottom....same same oven but different

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've never understood the depths of pie deprivation until now.

You all have my heartfelt sympathy and if they can spare people from the stupid Ebola plague MSF should send a mission here to support the needy pie-aholics.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Not necessary to implicate the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) on the meat pie issue markit...it's just a slight comic diversion to the usual grovelling cheese-chase we hear so much about. Now that plague needs some serious International intervention...:love_heart:

G

Gurkha

Not necessary to implicate the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) on the meat pie issue markit...it's just a slight comic diversion to the usual grovelling cheese-chase we hear so much about. Now that plague needs some serious International intervention...:love_heart:
Send Markit to NZ - they have Cheese and meat pies there!