ertert

Jul 24, 2010
How much for this dusty 5 litre cask of californian red? 725000:icon_e_surprised::icon_e_surprised::icon_e_surprised:

Can't live without red wine and decent red meat (Aussie beef + lamb).

Fed up with the overpriced crap here in Bali.

I am thinking of flying to Darwin every 2 months. Staying overnight then bringing back 4 X 5 litres of red

and 10 Kgs of frozen meat ordered through an online butcher.

Getting a visa on arrival and extend that 30 days and repeat.

I should be able to do this for around $500aud all in including the customs "tax".

If you think I can get better value in Bali I am all ears my searching in Bali has ended only in frustration.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Your visa extension alone will cost you either 2 days of your work and 350K or 700k and an agent.

Stop eating all that red meat and begin to take part in your community foods - ever ask yourself why the SE Asians are so mellow and placid? Think red meat and possibly red wine!

Once you've been here a while you won't even miss it - I would go so far as to say you will look back in wonder and horror at all the bleeding dead meat you used to shovel in your face.

But if you do come back with some good steaks I'm willing to make a house call to check on quality.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
The Indonesian consulate in Darwin was one my all-time favourites. No hassles - no extra fees to get something done the same day. Of course, times, charges and personnel change. Who knows right now?

As Markit said, extending your VOA back in Bali will be a time-consuming process, unless you employ an "agent" to do it for you (and pray they don't fuck it up).

I'm no expert, but I doubt you'll "save" much, if anything, flying into Darwin picking up 20 litres of wine and flying back to Bali the same day.
The current duty-free limit for alcohol into Bali is one litre. Twenty litres will take some explaining, unless you declare it on the customs' form, (to avoid being arrested for smuggling or "breaking the law").
Declare it and hope you get a reasonable customs' official. Negotiate the amount of "duty" you're prepared to pay -you might get away with about $10. Or not, or a bit more.

Better, IMHO, to spend a few days in Darwin, sleep on a beach if you have to, (but watch out for crocodiles), and get a visa for 60 days and deal with Bali customs later with your wine casks.
It all adds up in the end, some call it pot luck. Horses for courses, etc. Or, go for the jugular and bring back 8x5 litres up-front, (confusion tactic).
Politely "argue" that four of them are for your Balinese landlord, his dying grandfather, whatever.

If the confusion works, up to a point, tell them you're prepared to sacrifice your own 4x5 litres because you love Balinese people.
"I'm confused - what should I do now"?

The trouble with that is you might strike a Javanese official who doesn't give a shit about Balinese.
Ask him/her how the family is doing, how's life in Bali, etc. The more "confusion"/uncertainty you can generate, the better.

Several years ago, I bought in a whole beer brewing kit from Darwin. Brewing barrel, bottle capper machine, many packets of unused bottle tops, thermometer, hydrometer, packs of beer ingredients, yeast, etc.

The first question I was asked in Bali was "What is all of this?"
I explained that it was stuff that I could make my own beer with.
Next question was "Don't you like Indonesian beer?"
My reply was something like "Yes/No - I don't "like" it, I love Indonesian beer"
"Why you want make beer in Bali?"

I told them that Bintang, Anker, White Horse, Heinneken, etc, were not the only beers on the planet, and sometimes I like to taste something different.
They shook their heads, couldn't decide if I needed to pay duty or not and waved me through.
Your mileage might be different.

Don't mention that you'e got a hidden camera and have been filming everything that's being said.

:icon_eek:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Just go and drink enough in 3 days to give warm fuzzy memories for the remaining 57 days.

G

Gurkha

A hint: When bringing back wine in a box, remove the box and put the mylar bag in your checked baggage. That way, when your bags are x-rayed at Bali customs, it just appears as a squarish lump. Also, have a 'sacrificial' bottle of cheap booze ( i use water in a Stoli bottle) to distract the customs personnel

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
There are many Aussie butchers in southern Bali. look around find a shop you like and enjoy.

if your looking for cheap wine try arak in the baggie from local places.

it tricky to bring in booze in quantity but very possible with some ingenuity .i usually bring in 8 or 9 liters each visa run or vacation i take with out any problems or " coffee money" at customs

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Another tip: Carry a "wet wipe" in your pocket...... why?
To wipe off all the chalk marks on your check-in suitcase & try to get a place where the belt comes out the wall & go 'tisk tisk.... so dirty!'
At customs they only ask you to put your hand carry through the scanner... unless, of course your check through has chalk marks on it (they scan before going onto the belt!)

A friend in Singapore advised me to do that, I half believed him.... But last week I flew into Jakarta with an electric drill and a complete gps navigation/echo sounder system for my boat distributed around my check-through (for extra 'pleading rights' - just in case - I gift wrapped the drill in green&gold paper & stuck a Salamat Hari Raya sticker on the top .... 'gift for my friend'!)

When the suitcase emerged there were lots of chalk marks, which quickly got wiped off - I wasn't the only one cleaning their bag! Anyway I sailed through customs, while some others were made to put their chalk marked bags through the scanner & face some difficult questions.

The plastic cases are easier to wipe than the cloth ones.... don't forget to clean the underneath (where the wheels are!)

- This has been a Public Service Announcement -

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Problem is in Bali all luggage is scanned upon leaving airport and there are so many Stazi immi officers running around one of them sees you cleaning their chalk marks then prepare your body orifices for boarders.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Problem is in Bali all luggage is scanned upon leaving airport and there are so many Stazi immi officers running around one of them sees you cleaning their chalk marks then prepare your body orifices for boarders.

are you offering your "muling" services hoping to get a gratis body cavity search ?

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I am feeling generous, therefore I will give you a very useful web site for buying good quality imported food in Bali. They deliver daily and their minimum order is 500,000 rupiah.
Alam Boga Indonesia Food Supplies - About Us
I have the current price list as well. For example half shell scallops for 90,000 a kilo and green lip mussels in the shell for 55,000 a kilo.

modelt1826

Apr 25, 2010
Wilverhampton UK
I had the misfortune to pack too much wine a few years ago and declared the wine as a good citizen. However the nice customs officer on this paticuler night was not washing any excuse and wanted to charge a mountain of Rp. I kindly told him to re think but no matter what i tried to bargain for. he was not having it so i told to put the wine where the sun doe not shine (in the customs lock up). When you come through customs i have rubbed out the marks but because the xray machine is straight in front of the custom officer now its rare to see any chalk its a nod or a point. For a decent steak or ribs washed down with a decent red try the Fly Cafe Ubud (even better in happy hour)

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
If you are ever in the mood to waste half a day, try bringing in a few flagons of Merrydown Vintage 8.2% Cider and telling the chaps who matter that its 'Apple Juice' ... ended up kicking a match winning goal but making the fatal mistake of inviting a few Australian mates around to sample the 'winnings' ...

ertert

Jul 24, 2010
I brought in 2 x 2 litres in May, declared it on the customs form and told the officer about it. I showed him the wine and the receipt from the grog shop. I was taken into a side room then told the limit was one litre or whatever and I had to pay
200,000 which I got down to 150,000. Will update when I bring back 18 Litres from Thailand next week. A reasonable 4.5 litre Aussie cask in Thailand is about 300,000 rupiah equivalent. Not great but better than Bali.

ertert

Jul 24, 2010
I am feeling generous, therefore I will give you a very useful web site for buying good quality imported food in Bali. They deliver daily and their minimum order is 500,000 rupiah.
Alam Boga Indonesia Food Supplies - About Us
I have the current price list as well. For example half shell scallops for 90,000 a kilo and green lip mussels in the shell for 55,000 a kilo.

Thanks for that looks good. Will be checking them out for sure.

ertert

Jul 24, 2010
Brought in my 18 litres of cask wine today. Customs tax 1000000rp hooray!
the casks (reasonable Aussie blend) cost 1200000rp in Thailand so one bottle would be about 92000rp
so not miles infront...