Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hot off the presses I saw this and it occured to me that nowhere is it even hinted at in the article that there is any problem with foreigners owning property here on Bali.

Don't missunderstand me I know what is involved and all the possible pitfalls but nevertheless how is it possible to sue in Singapore or in front of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors for property ownership rights in Bali????

Bali News: C-151 Villa Management in the Spotlight

Anyone with more info or rumours about this is welcome to spout off, please.

Markit

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I would guess that these villa "owners" do not own any land but have a contract arrangement with the management company. So when things go pear shaped, they sue for breach of contract.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Of the villa owners, 13 have chosen to try to settle their claims abroad. However, one of the owners, John Mark Winders, has elected to bring his case before the Denpasar District Court.

You would think they have little hope of trying to settle anything outside of Bali.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
You would think they have little hope of trying to settle anything outside of Bali.

perhaps they thinking the same (ie; little hope), by trying to settle anything in bali ?

If they were marketed overseas , then its possible that that countries laws maybe applicable ..., but im only guessing ????

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks for your ideas guys. Contracts are usually only enforcable in the country named in the original contract as having jurisdiction (sp?) in case of a contest.

If anybody hears more then spout up please.

Markit

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
If the Maximus Bali is Singaporean

Basically, if the Managing Company is actually Singaporean they can be sued - PT Maximus Bali obviously is Indonesian but was the marketing company (or does PT Maximus Bali have a Singapore Holding company).

But, the article says some owners seeking settlement via the Singapore International Arbitrage Center (SIAC) - generally used by agreement of both parties.

I don't know where the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) come into the picture - I don't even think they'd get involved in a similar case in the UK - this seems to be a conflict between owner and managing agent. Sounds like the lawyer is blowing smoke

Baliblues

Jan 2, 2012
Maximus Bali is Hanno Soth

I know one of the owners of a C151 villa, the Management company are not paying the Villa owners 1 cent and the Management Company is not doing any maintenance. My friend is distraught as it was supposed to be his superanuation. The Management Company ran by Hanno Soth (search his name on the internet), has different agreements that no one was aware of, they also deliberately had different forms of mediation. This makes it easier to rip the owners off. Some owners including Hanno Soth don't contribute to the running of the place which effectively means they are being subsidised by the unsuspecting majority. It is obvious the way it was set up and sold that the Villa purchasers didn't have a hope. The President of the Company Hanno Soth doesn't even live in Indonesia and his Indonesian Direktor is happy to take money under false pretences.
The court action is ongoing and my friend hopes that justice will eventually prevail, fingers crossed.
Beware of buying Villas when the developer is involved in the running of the property, one would hope they are not all dodgy.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
An interesting TripAdvisor listing for C151 - a number of positive reviews over recent months with the management responding thankfully. Then this bummer of a review implying that guests who have paid are being evicted forcefully. Could be an interesting listing to watch - how does TripAdvisor manage things like this - not good for their image.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Trip Advisor is, was and always will be open to manipulation and abuse as long as they use their current structure.
How many times do you see a 'negative' report mentioning specific items then lo and behold followed by another 'positive' report mentioning those very items?
The star ratings are generated from 'reportees' and so it doesn't take much doing to get numerous gypsy email addresses to post five star ratings and glowing reports in every category ... the giveaway of course should be the same spelling and grammar mistakes repeated ... and repeated...

We gave a hotel at Johor Bahru, Malaysia a right blasting and the immediate response was over twenty 'comments' supposedly from satisfied customers suggesting we were Singaporean Chinese looking for a 'rebait' ... ?