soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hey Guys,

My partner would like to marry in bali when I come back and we will just go to the office and do it in Denpasar (KUA?) what do we have to prepare prior to arriving there on the indonesian aspect of things or is it a bit like vegas - rock up and marry? I know about the consulate things but no idea on the indonesian things

What do we need to do, prepare??

Its aus - indo as a muslim ceremony

Last edited:

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
Hey Guys,

My partner would like to marry in bali when I come back and we will just go to the office and do it in Denpasar (KUA?) what do we have to prepare prior to arriving there on the indonesian aspect of things or is it a bit like vegas - rock up and marry? I know about the consulate things but no idea on the indonesian things

What do we need to do, prepare??

Its aus - indo as a muslim ceremony
have done this , but a while ago, and in Jakarta. First things first, you need to convert to islam.....
I think Gilbert has done the Islamic wedding in Bali, so perhaps he has more info on this. ( sorry Gil :highly_amused: )

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
For a start you will need a document from your consulate stating you are free to marry, ie; not already married. You will need to convert to Islam, [no mixed faith wedding allowed]. Then after that it's pretty much plain sailing.

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
A few friends have told me if the female is not Muslim she can convert during this ceremony but if the male isnt he must convert prior, dont know how true this is though again!!!:fatigue:

How did you convert?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Are you mad?

Eaten any prion beef burgers lately?

Why would you want to marry and convert to Islam?

Get a grip and think about it first, hell come to Old Markit and we'll sit down over some beers and whisky (you bring) and I will tell you a story about LIFE, LOVE AND THE PERSUITE OF HAPPINESS.

Over half the population is female, OVER so why would you want to take on the most difficult marriage you could possibly find? Why.

Marry a Mormon - if you decide you don't like the first one, get another!

Hey I'm holding back here so cut me some slack OK?

Last edited by a moderator:

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Are you mad?

Eaten any prion beef burgers lately?

Why would you want to marry and convert to Islam?

Get a grip and think about it first, hell come to Old Markit and we'll sit down over some beers and whisky (you bring) and I will tell you a story about LIFE, LOVE AND THE PERSUITE OF HAPPINESS.

Over half the population is female, OVER so why would you want to take on the most difficult marriage you could possibly find? Why.

Marry a Mormon - if you decide you don't like the first one, get another!

Hey I'm holding back here so cut me some slack OK?

Im a female.. he is male :)

We are both not religious and neither one practises a religion however for it to take place there we need to be the same religion..

and i dont like Whiskey.. Kahlua yes, Whiskey nope!

I am curious though why the outburst?

Last edited by a moderator:

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
We had to ring up the KUA recently for a muslim couple wanting to marry in Bali. Here is what they said you would need

Photocopies of

1. Birth Certificates
2. Passports
3. 4 Photos of both parties sizes 2cm x 3cm on blue background
4. 4 Photos of both parties sizes 3cm x 4cm on blue background
5. Letter of no impediment, to get this you will need to go to both your fiancee and your embassy in your own country, they will also need to be legally translated to Bahasa Indonesia. Your Embassy should be able to take care of this.

Also if the bride is born a muslim, she will need to have her mother present at the wedding, if she wasn't born muslim then someone from the KUA will be supplied.

Processing time takes 10 days

Not sure about converting, if you ring up the KUA in Denpasar they should be able to tell you.

Also if you're after discounts on wedding venues etc let me know, the wife can get most places slightly cheaper.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You're female!!

God that's even worse!

If you want to be someones slave than I'll pay for all the Kalua you can drink.

The outburst, if you can call it that is occasioned by all the "good" advice you have seemed to garner with your post. From my point of view of having seen many, many mixed marriages fail I feel that the only really good advice given was mine - irregardless of your gender. Examine what you are doing and if you still think its a good idea then go and find some western women that have gone into the same thing you are intending and simply ask em "would you do it agian, knowing what you know now?".

Care to wager a tenner what the answers are?

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
You're female!!

God that's even worse!

The outburst, if you can call it that is occasioned by all the "good" advice you have seemed to garner with your post. From my point of view of having seen many, many mixed marriages fail I feel that the only really good advice given was mine - irregardless of your gender. Examine what you are doing and if you still think its a good idea then go and find some western women that have gone into the same thing you are intending and simply ask em "would you do it agian, knowing what you know now?".

Markit, you are so full of sh*t!
I am in a mixed marriage, have converted to islam and would do it again in a second....you do not know what you are talking about (not for the first time i might add). There are also quite a few forum members who would agree with me i am sure....so just shut it!:icon_biggrin:

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Markit, you are so full of sh*t!
I am in a mixed marriage, have converted to islam and would do it again in a second....you do not know what you are talking about (not for the first time i might add). There are also quite a few forum members who would agree with me i am sure....so just shut it!:icon_biggrin:

Sounds like Markit has some regrets himself.

rasi

Aug 26, 2010
You're female!!

God that's even worse!

I've converted and don't regret it. Yes I would do it again and I am actually planning to 'renew my vows' (if there is such a thing) so my kids can be there.

My husband is one of the nicest men I have ever met (oh and he's from Java too!)

For the record, he is MY slave :)

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
have done this , but a while ago, and in Jakarta. First things first, you need to convert to islam.....
I think Gilbert has done the Islamic wedding in Bali, so perhaps he has more info on this. ( sorry Gil :highly_amused: )

:highly_amused: no problemo goldminer...nah I haven't converted,
if god/allah wanted me to be born without a foreskin, then why didn't he create me like that? :icon_wink:

but jokes aside, I did a selamatan in Java, for her family. just a sit down kinda ceremonie/reception sort a thing.

but as far as the marriage on Bali, we did it the protestant way.
called a priest/pastor to ask the ins and outs about how to get married, easy as 1,2,3,
within 10 days she came,she baptist us,she wed us..all in under an hour. got all certificated after the ceremonie.
as for the price..if I remember right 5jt or 8 jt.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Whooooah Bessi!

Light blue touch paper and stand well back! Thanks for your correction there Goldy but I stick by what I said and would also point out that there is literally a world of difference between being the man in a mixed muslim marriage and being the woman. Added to the fact that you live in a liberal western country which prides itself on accepting people from different walks of life - this generally isn't the case in Muslim countries. If you don't believe this then ask the Saudi woman you meet if she pops out for a drive to the shops now and then at home. Don't see too many men running around in a full Burkah/Chador or having to stay in with the partner's family in the evenings because that's just the way it's done... I could go on and on.

Believe it or not I'm really not trying to pick a fight here it's just that I am sick and tired of seeing so many young and not so young people that should know better blinded by their own hopes/stupidity and absolutely none of their "friends" willing to risk telling them the truth of what they (and society to be blunt) thinks about what they are proposing, all because love is such many splendored thing.

It aint all it's cracked up to be.

I've run afowl of this subject here on the forum in the past and will do, no doubt, in the future. There are probably some happy and successful mixed marriages (Muslim/Christian) out there but they are the exception, not the rule - unfortunately.

Insallah Markit

C

CanonMan

Im a female.. he is male :)

We are both not religious and neither one practises a religion however for it to take place there we need to be the same religion..

and i dont like Whiskey.. Kahlua yes, Whiskey nope!

I am curious though why the outburst?

Don't worry about Markit, he's a sad old man who spends too much time on internet forums wallowing in his own failures, correcting the world through tunnel vision with copious narcissistic undertones.

I got married outside of Bali but to a Japanese not local. All I can say is that there would probably be the same requirement from your country as much as from the UK insofar as the Certificate of Non Impediment. I had to apply for this through the consulate and then it had to hang there, in the consulate here in Bali, for three weeks prior to me getting the all clear certificate. This was then given to the authorities in Japan and everything was cool. I then had to register my marriage to the consulate when I got back into Indo after the ceremony in Japan. All told cost wise it came to about 2.4jt.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mark.

Tango67

Jan 28, 2011
Macau
i married my wife (she is balinese) she is Hindu and i am Anglican (aussie) in Hong Kong at a registry 2 months go, we are going to Bali in December to have a spiritual ceremony at her temple at her mothers village with both our families followed by a western reception in Seminyak.

No issues with religion, or paperwork.

enjoy

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
My wife & I were going to marry in anther country to save all the hassle, but the mother in-law wanted the big day.
I went to the Australian embassyy in Jakarta & pick up a letter of no impediments, it took longer to get into the embassy than to get the letter.
I became Muslim for the day, cost 10kgs of rice & took 30 minutes.
On the big day it was great had no idea what happened but my wife & I had a good time.
Street was blocked off everyone turned up, no idea who they were.
now we have a blue book & everyones happy:icon_mrgreen:.

So its easy to get married here & you will have fun.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
i married my wife (she is balinese) she is Hindu and i am Anglican (aussie) in Hong Kong at a registry 2 months go, we are going to Bali in December to have a spiritual ceremony at her temple at her mothers village with both our families followed by a western reception in Seminyak.

No issues with religion, or paperwork.

enjoy

so I am guessing you are not going to register your marriage in Indonesia..

alphonso

May 26, 2011
So its easy to get married here & you will have fun.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Easy peasey balinesey. Anyone could be the most hideous creature back home, no one gives you a first look let alone second, but score yourself the most gorgeous wife here. Wonder why :icon_cool:

Last edited:

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Thank you to everyone responding, Its giving me so much thought and information - including Markit.

This relationship has been fine - ups and downs. A normal relationship. However I have experienced so much negativity towards the relationship Markit that you arent the first and you wont be the last. Youve not been the rudest either.

I have tolerated this for a fair few years and any relationship is about accomodating both beliefs. No 2 people will ever be the same, the same morals and beliefs and things but it just about acceptance. Yes, this relationship has more obstacles than some but also this relationship is far more rewarding than others.

I will continue to think this over and if it feels right, it usually is right.

Nothing in this world is forever without hard work, not even the love from your kids the moment you give up you are doomed for failure however that can usually be prevented with comprimise and work. My culture is no more right than his and his isnt more right than mine. Its about meeting half way and so far we have been pretty good at it