Saci

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning to come to Bali on a social visit visa (renewable every 2 months) for a period of 6 months, arriving in mid March. We are both USA citizen. At that time I will be 7 months pregnant and plan to have the baby in Bali.

My question is, once the baby is born provided that I'm able to get a USA passport for the baby within the 60 days allotted by the Indonesian government, what do I then need to do about the baby's visa?

Can the baby be added to my social visit visa? Or can a separate visa be issued for the baby in Bali? Or we will have to go to Singapore and re-apply for a new social visit visa for all three of us?

Basically we want to have the baby in Bali, have an additional 4 months after that period without having to fly anywhere. Is that possible?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Saci

At 7 months pregnant with presumably your first child you want to come from America to a third world country to have a child?

Are you mad?

There are so many problems with your idea it's quite refreshing to see all the possibilities for disaster:

1) At 7/8 months preggers (hard to say for sure) most airlines will not be so cheerful letting you fly.
2) Presuming you get to fly - where will you have sprog? Local medical hut? Virus Heaven - Sangla Hospital?
3) Any medical problems what will you do - ask your local shaman? You won't get any medical insurance in USA with that belly.
4) Social visa is for 6 months, not 2
5) Leaving US with no kid and trying to come back with one is going to be such fun
6)....... I give up there are so many thing wrong with this idea - keep taking the drugs:icon_wink: or change your scrip.

Sorry to be so negative but IMHO this is a silly idea. Have your baby in America, leave it with your parents, then go to Bali.

Bali, pregnancy and delivery

OMG, are you crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes Markit, i totally agree with you. For a first time mum, and first time to Bali ( i presume) you have no idea what you are in for, where you will deliver etc etc etc....
stay home my dear, until cherub has been delivered safe, then decide what you will do.....
My mind boggles:icon_rolleyes:

Bintang

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning to come to Bali on a social visit visa (renewable every 2 months) for a period of 6 months, arriving in mid March. We are both USA citizen. At that time I will be 7 months pregnant and plan to have the baby in Bali.

My question is, once the baby is born provided that I'm able to get a USA passport for the baby within the 60 days allotted by the Indonesian government, what do I then need to do about the baby's visa?

Can the baby be added to my social visit visa? Or can a separate visa be issued for the baby in Bali? Or we will have to go to Singapore and re-apply for a new social visit visa for all three of us?

Basically we want to have the baby in Bali, have an additional 4 months after that period without having to fly anywhere. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Saci

Bintang is well priced in Bali to put into a baby bottle..........Thanx for the amusement in my day! Gotta luv utter stupidity

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Saci

Wow.. How unusual. No one would ever recommend you fly that pregnnant - even for short flights with family emergencies. I dont know how a doctor would approve you fly long haul that pregnant...

Just out of curiousity though why do you want to do this? Alot of people lie to go and have there children reap the benefits of a different world.. Id wait til Bub is old enough to walk and talk annd then come..

Hi everyone,

Can the baby be added to my social visit visa? Or can a separate visa be issued for the baby in Bali? Or we will have to go to Singapore and re-apply for a new social visit visa for all three of us

Thanks,
Saci

Don't let the others put you off. [ see my posts 'giving birth in Bali'] There are plenty of good doctors and post natal care available, with good clinics [I know probably spelt it wrong] as a back up for vitamins and jabs.
You will get a birth certificate here, mark the child down as American when asked [in reality it will have duel nationality] then apply to your consulate for a American birth certificate and passport. Visa for the baby not important, like I say it will have duel nationality. If you like you can get an Indonesian passport as well [considerably cheaper than the American one I suspect].
So born here, birth certificate from here. No need for visa.

I can speak from 1st hand experience. I'm U.S. (like Markit) and wife Indo. Our 2nd son is 7 months old. No ins. here so my wife went to Lombok at 5 months pregnant and delivered there, in Lombok. Hospital and Dr. was good and no complications so no issues.
I arrived for the birth and did 2 trips to Bali to get citizenship recorded and passport. There are some important things to touch on when it concerns the process. I would be happy to explain if you are still interested in your plan.
As for Mr. Markit I find many of your posts unnecessarily harsh, rude, and often opinionated. You make your points and they are usually valid. I just don't always agree with your methods.

As for Mr. Markit I find many of your posts unnecessarily harsh, rude, and often opinionated. You make your points and they are usually valid. I just don't always agree with your methods.

Pray tell which of my points do you find offensive?

Why should I prance around being extra nice to someone:
A) I don't know

B) Is just asking for it with a very ill thought out idea (personally, I believe forum tend to attract an extra portion of the terminally lonely and confused)

C) If she means what she says and is then encouraged to carry out her idiocy by the likes of people such as yourself it will be an absolute disaster and anything I can say to stop that is good, good and more good. Of maybe you would offer to take her in?

D) Your wife is Indonesian - if you don't see any difference in your situation to that of a young American coming over for the first time to have her first baby than you probably also belong to the terminally confused.

Oh, "harsh, rude and opinionated" - guilty as charged :icon_lol:

I have not given birth in Bali, but I have had an operation in Sanglah Hospital. I had absolutely no worries at all being in that hospital with Indonesian nurses and medical staff. They were very professional, the room was very clean and it was better than the public hospitals I have seen in Australia. The room was better than many hotels I have been in too!

I personally wouldn't be worried if I had to give birth in Bali, but my husband is Indonesian. I don't know how I would go if he was Western though, I would be worried about the language barrier...

I don't know about any visas, but if you decide to do it, I would recommend Sanglah. I have also been admitted to Prima Medika and would NOT recommend it.

Saci said:
...At that time I will be 7 months pregnant and plan to have the baby in Bali.
I'd suggest you check with the airlines first. Most airlines won't allow pregnant women to fly after the 6th month. I know this from experience.

I am not suggesting the lady goes or not. I am only sharing my experience and am specific in pointing out some differences in our situations. As you, Mr Markit were quick to make point of. No complications, wife is Indonesian with family in Lombok, no ins in the U.S. being the main motive for the decision, traveled at 5 months pregnant, not seven. From this and other insightful info. she can come to her own conclusion as what is best for herself and her family. I make no direct recomendations. Yes Mr. Markit I still find you offensive and also inaccurate about your accusations towards my post.

I am not suggesting the lady goes or not. I am only sharing my experience and am specific in pointing out some differences in our situations. As you, Mr Markit were quick to make point of. No complications, wife is Indonesian with family in Lombok, no ins in the U.S. being the main motive for the decision, traveled at 5 months pregnant, not seven. From this and other insightful info. she can come to her own conclusion as what is best for herself and her family. I make no direct recomendations. Yes Mr. Markit I still find you offensive and also inaccurate about your accusations towards my post.

An Indonesian being treated in an Indonesian hospital is rather different to a Westerner being treated in an Asian hospital. The standards expected from a Westerner is far higher than a local because we want we are used to and comfortable with, hence the reason why if we need surgery alot people will go to Darwin/Singapore.

Your wife is Indonesian and is comfortable with the medical system as this is all she may have known growing up. She can also understand the doctors and nurses quite well and if she doesnt understand a medical term they can break it down into a normal language for her. Im not sure if the drs/nurses are under pressure they would be fluent enough to a. speak in english and then make it basic English for someone to understand.

By the sounds of it this lady has never been to Bali and it may be her first child. Bali is an overwhelming place for alot of first timers and then to dive in and deliberately use the medical service which is not as advanced as a lot of places in the US seems a bit concerning.

If the baby is prem how good is the NICU?? If I have to use the medical system in Indonesia I will however I will not go out of my way to use this service.

Back