hmbphd

Hello, Friends.

I had a package small package full of clothes and some small toiletry items sent to my address in Seminyak via US International Priority Mail. Last time I did this, I got a message on my door and picked it up at the post office in Kuta. This time, however, it seems to be "stuck" in customs somewhere since August 3rd. The USPS tracking information is not specific about where it's being held - just "Indonesia." Grrrr.

Where is the customs office in Bali where US Mail would be detained? Or would it be held up in Jakarta? Why doesn't someone send me a notification on this end if I do, in fact, need to pay customs (stupid question, I know!)?

I originally thought this holdup was due to the national holidays. Now I see it's just sitting somewhere.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Go to the main Denpasar Post office in Renon. Renon is basically a very big square one-way system. The Post Office is on the Southern part of this system.

When you get there and drive in don't park in the car park in the front but keep left and drive to the back area and park. There you will find the parcels department in front of you which is staffed by postal workers and Customs Inspectors. Either your parcel is there or, if not, they will be able to help suggest where next to inquire.

Thank you - someone else suggested this PO and I called and believe it or not the person on the phone told me they have it! I appreciate your advice for where to go at the PO. Hopefully I can find that. Always get lost in Denpasar!

Right before I moved here I sent myself my fishing reel and lures. It was supposed to take 7-10 days to get here it ended up taking about 1.5 months before my tracking information said delivered despite me never getting it or a notification that I needed to go get my package. When I went down there they wanted 650 USD as a customs fee. This story doesn't really help you but I remembered it and felt like sharing.

I retrieve my package full of clothing (worth less than $100) for 100,000 Rp. They wanted 285,000 for it at first! Thanks Alex for the map - definitely not easy to find. But the security guys at banks around the area were helpful!

Having been stung like that before on my packages to indonesia i now send them to singapore as most the time the return ticket is cheaper than the "tax" i have to pay for it

last year i bought an electronic dog collar online, it cost like 1.5jt for the collar and delivery charges. The mail office charged me 1.2jt in so called "tax" and they didnt even attempt to deliver it so i had to pay to get to the office also

What a racket! Well, I'm glad I know how it works now :) And yes, I did get a receipt for my "tax" LOL. Fun times in Indonesia ~ thanks, friends!!!

I always find putting my phone number on the envelop or parcel helps a lot, many times I've had the post office call me directly to come pick-up something and to even negotiate the 'tax' beforehand!

lol!
80% import duty on all items...... That is the rule here on imported goods in Indonesia because they want people to buy items bought that are produced in Indonesia. Makes sense unless of course it is an item that is not produced in Indonesia - but if I remember correctly there are some items that like phones and computers are taxed differently.
So if you want to import a t-shirt for example you will get charged 80% import duty because t-shirts are produced here - it is the t-shirt not the quality!
Fabrics will be taxed like this according to weight so it is always good to include a proforma invoice and then you might not even need to pay anything but the 6.000 processing fee. This is even valid if you want to import used goods.

And just to let you all know - I import and export from Indonesia and other countries as well. These customs people are really smart and if you don't have an invoice they will go online and look for the item being imported. The price listed in most cases will not be anywhere close to what you might have paid but then you will need to prove that to the customs office. AND this is not only the case in Indonesia. It happens all over the world!

My issue was with the fact that every single item was well used. It was at one time a 600 USD fishing reel but it had been purchased second hand then used for 2 years the lures were all also well used. They apparently do no depreciation on the value due to use and they should.

Rule #1 - make friends with the customs guy at the Renon PO.
I did this and they delivered 2 compound bows plus a lot of arrows to my house. No duty paid!

customs at a postoffice??
Gilbert, you really must try to be more observant!
At the international parcels section, on the East side of the post office ( I presume you know where East is?), there is a customs department office, staffed by 5 people.

Gurkha are you channelling for Henry Kissinger? Training to be a diplomat? A failed comedian with attitude? An asshole?
If people can't find the Customs Dept. at the Post Office, how can they be expected to know where east is?

On another matter, I will not engage in a battle of wits with you - I don't fight against unarmed people!
and I don't have to resort to crude language either! Judging from most of your posts, you are a master of persiflage and balderdash.

Dear Gurkha you burst upon the scene here on the forum and immediately offend anyone that comes in contact with you. Interesting modus operandi but I'm not clear what the purpose is - hence the question that so offended you - are you an asshole? Fairly simple to understand and answer I would have thought.

Question I have is: you seem to be reasonably well informed about things Bali and would, under normal circumstances, fit into the forum compost quite well, therefore why so full of piss and wind?

You say "you are a master of persiflage and balderdash" possibly true but I'm so pissed by all your stupid attitude I really can't be fucking bothered to look up what you are saying and it just aint part of my dick - tionary so if you want to communicate then, have at, but pissing on your evolutionary betters isn't the way.

But what do I know?

Back