meerkat

Nov 14, 2011
Ubud
The only way for me to get proper protective riding gear is from western foreigners leaving stuff behind. I found one gear shop called Contin on Java who appeared to sell my size and he refused to sell to me because he thought Indonesian sizing wouldn't fit me (He gave me chest and waist measurements but said they vary too widely for him to sell to me...I was pissed off about that). It took me 6 months to get a good quality helmet here, other than the $10 USD plastic helmets sold here. So I'm basically fucked.

If the jacket gets lost forever, it's still worth the risk. The other thing is I fly to New Zealand in December for 3 weeks of riding and I'd like to bring gear with me instead of spending time shopping and ordering there.
I found a good pair of boots on Tokopedia and they were a lot less than Amazon US search for <Forma Adventure High Boots Waterproof boots>
sizes are good too:Ukuran :
41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
https://www.tokopedia.com/kedaiparcel/sepatu-forma-adventure-high-boots

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
I found a good pair of boots on Tokopedia and they were a lot less than Amazon US search for <Forma Adventure High Boots Waterproof boots>
sizes are good too:Ukuran :
41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
https://www.tokopedia.com/kedaiparcel/sepatu-forma-adventure-high-boots
Thank you Meerkat, I was fortunate enough to find a pair of used (broken in) size 46 boots which fit my wide feet on Facebook Marketplace for 300.000 Rp, plus shipping, from an expat on Java. I also got a pair of terrific riding pants also from Java which were tossed in with my purchase of a riding jacket (non-Indonesian). Jacket was too small so I donated it to a local riders club. The pants were also too narrow in the waist so I spent 2 days contacting no less than 8 shops in Denpasar to tailor the pants to fit me....No one would touch them. Finally went to a tailor who has made me custom shirts and reminded her of my purchases from her during the pandemic. She finally agreed to tailor the pants to fit me which they do. I got my non-Indonesian XL, full face helmet from a woman in Canggu who's boyfriend had just left her (and apparently an item left behind) which I still use (2.2 Mill Rp.).she actually lowered the price after I agreed on the asking price, maybe for listening to her troubles.

Receiving my parcels (2 riding jackets, 4 shirts) from overseas (the point of my original post) is still on going. I'll post more when I know more. Suffice it to say, the Indonesian Customs situation for me has been very expensive and difficult.

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Receiving my parcels (2 riding jackets, 4 shirts) from overseas (the point of my original post) is still on going. I'll post more when I know more. Suffice it to say, the Indonesian Customs situation for me has been very expensive and difficult.
It is very expensive to import clothing and shoes. My family send me xmas gifts last year. Shoes/clothing valued at 5 Juta as written on declaration. I had to cough up 4 Juta having these "gifts" released from customs. A long list of of fees for bea masuk, PPN, PPh and adm costs.

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
It is very expensive to import clothing and shoes. My family send me xmas gifts last year. Shoes/clothing valued at 5 Juta as written on declaration. I had to cough up 4 Juta having these "gifts" released from customs. A long list of of fees for bea masuk, PPN, PPh and adm costs.
That really seems like punitive charging to me. I wonder where the Customs fees and taxes go. I did a Google search and came up with nothing.

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
Disorganisation. I went to pay Customs fees at BRI using BRIVA Payment System and the screen said..TRANSACTION DECLINED...PAYMENT ALREADY PAID. So I went home and a day later the package arrived and I had to pay 1.5 Juta to the delivery guy to get the package. I was just thankful to get the package and after digging into it found I did not double-pay for Customs fees.

A week later, I get a text saying 89.950 Rp is due to get another parcel. I went to pay Customs fees at BRI using BRIVA Payment System and, after payment, the screen said..TRANSACTION PAID...THANK YOU and I got the receipt. Later that day the package showed up and the delivery person demanded 89.950 Rp (that I had already paid) to give me the package. I showed her the receipt, she gave me the package.

o_O

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Disorganisation. I went to pay Customs fees at BRI using BRIVA Payment System and the screen said..TRANSACTION DECLINED...PAYMENT ALREADY PAID. So I went home and a day later the package arrived and I had to pay 1.5 Juta to the delivery guy to get the package. I was just thankful to get the package and after digging into it found I did not double-pay for Customs fees.

A week later, I get a text saying 89.950 Rp is due to get another parcel. I went to pay Customs fees at BRI using BRIVA Payment System and, after payment, the screen said..TRANSACTION PAID...THANK YOU and I got the receipt. Later that day the package showed up and the delivery person demanded 89.950 Rp (that I had already paid) to give me the package. I showed her the receipt, she gave me the package.

o_O
As I said, when you receive the W.A. linking you to a page saying what you have to pay and how, just wait it out.
Next 24 or 48h the Postoffice guy will show up, you pay to him. All clear.
I always give him a nice tip, so he remembers my place.
Dozens and dozens of time over the past 4 years.

PS : The W.A. thing is rather rcent, maybe a year or so.

Reactions: Rellek

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
As I said, when you receive the W.A. linking you to a page saying what you have to pay and how, just wait it out.
Next 24 or 48h the Postoffice guy will show up, you pay to him. All clear.
I always give him a nice tip, so he remembers my place.
Dozens and dozens of time over the past 4 years.

PS : The W.A. thing is rather rcent, maybe a year or so.
Years ago I ordered a phone from China and after a suitable wait received an sms of an evening saying my phone was here and I could get it if I paid (bank transferred) money to the given account. Did what was asked and got my phone the next day. My point is, does it still work that way? I heard customs and excise have gotten really shirty and expensive. The expensive bit is clear as they've raised the rates considerably so is there any way to figure out how much?

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
Years ago I ordered a phone from China and after a suitable wait received an sms of an evening saying my phone was here and I could get it if I paid (bank transferred) money to the given account. Did what was asked and got my phone the next day. My point is, does it still work that way? I heard customs and excise have gotten really shirty and expensive. The expensive bit is clear as they've raised the rates considerably so is there any way to figure out how much?
Good question. When I buy something from ebay, the import costs are estimated. What follows below I cut and pasted.

To calculate the total import tax, you will first need to convert the total value of the goods to Indonesian Rupiah using the following formula:

TOTAL VALUE IN IDR= (Total Value in USD + Total CIF*) x IDR exchange rate

*CIF= (Freight on Board + Insurance + Freight Cost) x exchange rate

The calculation formula for total import tax and duty:

Import Duty + VAT + Income Tax where:

Type of TaxCalculation method
Import DutyTotal value in IDR x percentage of import duty
VAT(Total value in IDR + Import Duty) x 10%
Income Tax(Total value in IDR + Import Duty) x percentage of Income Tax
Import duty varies wildly depending on what is being imported.

https://emerhub.com/indonesia/calculate-your-import-tax-and-custom-duty/

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Good question. When I buy something from ebay, the import costs are estimated. What follows below I cut and pasted.

To calculate the total import tax, you will first need to convert the total value of the goods to Indonesian Rupiah using the following formula:

TOTAL VALUE IN IDR= (Total Value in USD + Total CIF*) x IDR exchange rate

*CIF= (Freight on Board + Insurance + Freight Cost) x exchange rate

The calculation formula for total import tax and duty:

Import Duty + VAT + Income Tax where:

Type of TaxCalculation method
Import DutyTotal value in IDR x percentage of import duty
VAT(Total value in IDR + Import Duty) x 10%
Income Tax(Total value in IDR + Import Duty) x percentage of Income Tax
Import duty varies wildly depending on what is being imported.

https://emerhub.com/indonesia/calculate-your-import-tax-and-custom-duty/
Wholey shit god bless Alzheimer's. won't even try to calculate this shite. Just do without I guess...

• Haha
Reactions: Rellek