meerkat

Nov 14, 2011
Ubud
DiJon

the owner of Dijon collects used books and donates them to causes around Bali

there is the Pondok Pecak - the library in Ubud too…

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is another great book by Aussie author.

Ooh! Thanks for this - I am going to look for it.

What about Aussie kids authors : Paul Jennings, John Marsden and the wonderful Mem Fox!

And dare I say, Helen Demidenko???? :icon_evil:

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Ipad

Just went home for Christmas and planned on downloading many books on my Ipad for my upcoming return to Bali. No dice! Sure, its me and my picky selections but just can't find much available from Itunes, Amazon or Barnes and Noble. They all seem to offer only current fiction, kiddy books or classics, and little selection in any category. Guess my only option is to upgrade my techie capabilities and try what has been previously offered on this thread. :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Just went home for Christmas and planned on downloading many books on my Ipad for my upcoming return to Bali. No dice! Sure, its me and my picky selections but just can't find much available from Itunes, Amazon or Barnes and Noble. They all seem to offer only current fiction, kiddy books or classics, and little selection in any category. Guess my only option is to upgrade my techie capabilities and try what has been previously offered on this thread. :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

That's interesting. By "home" do you mean the US? If you're using a US cc I would have thought you would have thousands of ebooks to choose from.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
ipad

That's interesting. By "home" do you mean the US? If you're using a US cc I would have thought you would have thousands of ebooks to choose from.

Yes, home is the US, and there are thousands of books. After you rule out romance, mystery, sci-fi, adventure, kiddy stuff and other categories of contemporary fiction plus celebrity biography, religion and right wing politics there is little left. What non fiction available is scanty. There would still be a lot left if the sources would include selections other than new releases, but except for the classics there isn't anything that isn't new.
My previous post admitted to my being picky, but I find myself again loaded down with used books from Half Priced book store. They weigh a ton but beat hell out of prices asked for the beat-up meager offerings at Ganesha in Ubud.
The readers are great for people with broader choices than myself, although I understand the sources are being investigated in the US for collusion in their attempts at keeping prices at or near those of paperbacks.:icon_rolleyes:

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
Where is the place on Double six that buys used books?

I have been purchasing used books from Better World Books with free shipping and have accumulated quite a few, would love to sell some to fund more purchases. Could you direct me to the store you mentioned that buys them, or if anyone else knows of a good purchaser. I don't buy used books locally because it is too much of a hit or miss prospect, it's much easier for me to pick out books I want to read on the computer and just wait about 3 weeks for them to arrive.

meerkat

Nov 14, 2011
Ubud
Ganesha Bookstore

main street of Ubud-coming in from the east (Peliatan) past BCA bank on opposite side of road on the corner of the street where the local Kantor Pos and Bali Buddha is.
they only buy titles that they are directed to…so don't expect to sell all you bring…

maybe donate the rest to Bumi Sehat:icon_mrgreen: in Nuh Kuning on your way home … or try Pondok Pekak -
library beside football field,although I'm not sure if the local library is still running since Laurie passed away

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
I have been purchasing used books from Better World Books with free shipping and have accumulated quite a few, would love to sell some to fund more purchases. Could you direct me to the store you mentioned that buys them, or if anyone else knows of a good purchaser. I don't buy used books locally because it is too much of a hit or miss prospect, it's much easier for me to pick out books I want to read on the computer and just wait about 3 weeks for them to arrive.

Ganesha will only pay meager sums for very good books, some (as has been mentioned before here) were purchased from Ganesha new.

meerkat

Nov 14, 2011
Ubud
"book swap meet"

Ganesha will only pay meager sums for very good books, some (as has been mentioned before here) were purchased from Ganesha new.

agreed- I buy there but do not sell due to that-I would rather donate somewhere worthy,my son's library helped flesh out the
Green School library for instance-that is a good repository for books of positive influence

apart from that with mouldy Bali issues,I mostly download kindle books nowadays - many good titles are available free

there is a niche for a good (better) used book store now - or we could arrange a "book swap meet" through this forum :eek:
meet somewhere possibly in Ubud at some venue like upstairs Kafe or upstairs Tutmak and bring a bunch of books to exchange

and one new bookshop opened up the road towards Nuri's-yoga books and the like I think that is

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
Titles of used books printed in English

Used books in English

The Girl with the Dagon Tattoo Stieg Larsson New York Times BS

The Girl Who Played with Fire “ “

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest “ International BS

The Lion Nelson DeMille NYTBS

The Lincoln Lawyer Michael Connelly “

Life Paulo Coelho

Brida “

Daughter of Fortune Isabel Allende Nat’l BS

Portrait in Sepia “

The Probable Future Alice Hoffman NYTBS

Love Medicine Louise Erdrich Nat’l BS

The Island Elin Hilderbrand “

Into the Wild Jon Krakauer “

The Bean Trees Barbara Kingsolver

Pigs in Heaven “ NYTBS

Animal Dreams “ Nat’l BS

Mind Hunter John Douglas NYTBS

Secrets in the Cellar John Glatt

The Shack Wm Paul Young NYTBS

90 Minutes in Heaven Don Piper NYTBS

The Things They Carried Tim O’Brien

Life of Pie Yann Martel Nat’l BS

The Catcher in the Rye J. D. Salinger

The Teaching of Buddha FREE

Sorry for the alignment the copy and paste didn't quite work. Willing to sell or trade.

Hi,

can you give me a few sample titles - might be interested.

cheers, phil

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I finally got my Kindle and I absolutely love it. Before I bought it I was buying ebooks from Amazon and reading them on my computer as I am sure it would take a long time to become available in Bali, like the Steve Jobs biography. I find that I have been reading a lot more than usual. I find it very easy to read on. I got the most basic model which works great, the only thing I don't really like are the buttons to turn a page. I am sure Steve Jobs would have done a much better job with the design. I wish they were available when I was traveling more. For some reason I thought it would have a back lit screen, but no it doesn't. Apparently you can get cases that have a light built in, which I will probably order. Obviously you wouldn't want to bury it in the sand, but I don't think I would have a problem taking it to the beach. Of course I am a little sad that paper books will go the way of CDs, but for anyone living in Bali who likes to read, I would say it is a must have gadget.

Last edited:

sjb1983

Sep 17, 2010
Book Swap @ Dijon Cafe, Kuta

I would recommend the second hand book swap at Dijon Cafe by Simpang Siur! It usually has some classics as well as some more modern stuff with kids books and lots of (trashy) romance novels to boot! I think you'd have the whole family covered by going there. It's on the last Saturday of every month from 12-3pm. Bring one book, take one book; bring 5 books, take 5 books - simple as that! Only English language books and totally free (you don't even have to buy a drink in the cafe as it is outside ;)

Hope it helps :)

Cheers,

Steve

hotrod58

Jan 22, 2012
Not sure you guys are for real Ill keep reading with interest.

:ico:icon_wink:n_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Downloadable....maybe....but for the moment want a real bookshop with lotsa old books in it, classics for kids hopefully.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I've just had returned my copy of 'Julia's Jihad' by Jakarta post columnist Julia Suryakusuma. It's an easy read as it's a compendium of many articles and essays she has had published separately so the book can be put down, and restarted, without missing any plot.
It's refreshing to read about the taboos of the Muslim world written by a modern Muslim with a sense of the ridiculous and humor. She even gets a bit risque....

An example...
'Ali, the driver looked depressed. "Aduh, Pak, I have 8 children and my wife is pregnant again...what can I do?"
Pak Paul suggested all sorts of contraceptive devices but, according to Ali...to no avail.
Paul then suggested the withdrawal method but Ali cringed as the best part of making love was to ejaculate inside his wife while she held him very tightly.
Paul had run out of ideas but noticed Ali now had a big smile...he had found a solution..."what's that?" asked Paul.

"I took a second wife!" Ali declared triumphantly.'