kcooper1102

Jan 16, 2011
Hello
I am planning on coming to Bali whether through employment there or on my own...if I go the latter route, I might be able to get social visa sponsorship right off the bat, before leaving the states. I see they require proof of a leaving Indonesia through an airline ticket,etc...from what I have read on the forums, this requirement is not always enforced, depending on the embassy.

Anyone with experience doing this in the US, like from New York or Washington D.C.? I obviously will be buying a ticket there but would showing a ticket out of Indonesia to another country suffice? Based on my recent research, I can get a one way ticket for about half of a round trip and if I could buy that and then a cheaper ticket, like one to Singapore, that would be better. For me right now, it is better to do this and then worry about paying for my ticket home when I leave in a year.

Also, I know the visa is technically only good for 60 days but can be extended up to six months. Is it permissible to buy a ticket showing you will be in Indonesia for six months being that you can stay that long with renewals?

Or is it just easier for me to go on a tourist visa and obtain a social when I get there? Do I need to provide proof of a return flight when doing social visas when already in Indonesia? This option obviously seems better, particularly if I do not have to worry about showing a return flight.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
The first place to ask is your local Indonesian Embassy because every embassy you ask is different. I've just sent away for mine here in NZ and my return ticket to Singapore is in July which is more than 6 months away. I rang them before hand and they said this was ok, this may not be the case for you.

The first place to ask is your local Indonesian Embassy because every embassy you ask is different. I've just sent away for mine here in NZ and my return ticket to Singapore is in July which is more than 6 months away. I rang them before hand and they said this was ok, this may not be the case for you.

You can ring them or modify an eticket; which will do the job without the need of trying to purchase a ticket in advance at a hugely inflated rate. :icon_lol:

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
VOA - one way ticket

Hi...my brother is visiting us soon and doesn't know if he is going to travel further in Asia after his visit.

I've told him to just get a one way ticket but he is reluctant....I've done it without being asked any questions. I have also been given a social visas from the Embassy in Syd Aust without a return o onward ticket Embassy told me I needed one...but when I put in the application without it, I was granted the visa anyway.

Wondering if the general consensus is that this is really poor advice and that I have just been lucky. Does anyone know what the consequences would be if he were to be refused a VOA because of no onward ticket. He has an Iphone (with Indosat SIM)...do you think they would let him hop online and buy one?

This question is seeming stupider and stupider to me the more I write.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I suggest that he should have a printout of the flight details that he plans to use to leave Indonesia. If necessary, tell them that this is the flight and he will be paying for it while in Bali.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
No one will refuse to take 25us dollars off your brother for a VOA. The only problem is by Aviation law, when you are at check in he may be ask to see his out bound ticket. I have never been ask to show any air tickets coming to Indonesia. Ps I do not have a criminal record:icon_mrgreen:
You can always pay for Bali VIP services & he won't even have to line up for Immigration just come on in.:icon_mrgreen:

Last edited:

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
No one will refuse to take 25us dollars off your brother for a VOA. The only problem is by Aviation law, when you are at check in he may be ask to see his out bound ticket. I have never been ask to show any air tickets coming to Indonesia. Ps I do not have a criminal record:icon_mrgreen:
You can always pay for Bali VIP services & he won't even have to line up for Immigration just come on in.:icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for this...it hadn't occurred to me that his problem might be at check-in. I rarely have a return ticket to anywhere (bit of a commitment phobe) and never seem to have any problems. Having said that - these days I usually have a rather pleasant but extremely confusing 83 year old man with me at check-in (they just want us gone and fast).

Might be diff for my bro BUT if he has any real problems at check-in he could hop online and buy a tick and go back to check-in. I'll advise him to not buy beforehand but have an acceptable flight option at the ready, so he can buy it quick if he needs it.

BTW - Bali VIP services are fantastic! The absolutely wonderful owner of our villa arranged this for us the last time we came in (without telling me). It was like some sort of dream...I was incredibly sleep deprived and it was a surreal. Imagine a world in which all airport experiences were like that!

Does anyone know how much this costs and how to arrange it?

Thanks for the replies, Fred & Rob.

Feb 7, 2011
what did you fill out on your green immigration card? wich is being given to you on the plane..

Not really quite sure which part you are talking about. The best thing to do is

1) always be honest
2) help them read and hear what they need to make life easy for the both of you

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
when you're on the plane...the flight-attendants hand out two forms, one is imigration the other is customs..imigration is green color the customs is yellow.
the green imigration form is made out of two pieces, one piece will be torn of by the immigration officer who gives you your VOA, the other piece is for you. This piece is what you give to the imgration-offier when leaving the country. Know what I mean now?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
when you're on the plane...the flight-attendants hand out two forms, one is imigration the other is customs..imigration is green color the customs is yellow.
the green imigration form is made out of two pieces, one piece will be torn of by the immigration officer who gives you your VOA, the other piece is for you. This piece is what you give to the imgration-offier when leaving the country. Know what I mean now?
Gil, I never fill out the "departure" part on my immigration card. I leave it blank because I never know when my next departure will be. On the "arrival" section, I write 180 days. Is this what you mean?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
yep that's what I mean matsaleh..
It's no big problem if one doesn't fill it out coming to Bali, since they don't even glance at it...just wondering what would happen if they would.
I'm just guessing that someone on a VOA, has some kind of travelplan/schedule..and it would be 'strange' when a tourist doesn't know when he leaves...hope that what I write makes some kinda sense/understandable..

Feb 7, 2011
yep that's what I mean matsaleh..
It's no big problem if one doesn't fill it out coming to Bali, since they don't even glance at it...just wondering what would happen if they would.
I'm just guessing that someone on a VOA, has some kind of travelplan/schedule..and it would be 'strange' when a tourist doesn't know when he leaves...hope that what I write makes some kinda sense/understandable..

If this helps -

When flying in I already planned to purchase a 30 day VOA extension, so on that card I put my staying in Bali time as 54 days, which was not a problem at all.

Also, just make the departure date exactly the number of days out from your arrival day.

Utnapischtim

Apr 25, 2012
Helsinki
Hello everyone,

A new poster here, although a lurker for some time. I have a question I thought is at least loosely related to this thread (the latest messages at any rate).
I took a six week vacation in order to travel "somewhere around Indonesia and possibly some other SE-Asia country". Now I've been in Bali for two days and have not really yet decided whether I will at some point fly to somewhere outside of Indonesia for a week or two and get another 30 day VOA for Indonesia upon returning. The alternative of course is to just stay in Indonesia for the extent of my trip and extend my current 30-day VOA here.

Now the question is: When I was filling my departure card on the plane arriving here, I filled the "immediate destination" and "flight number" according to my return flight from Bali six weeks from now. Will this possibly be a problem if I now decide to leave to somewhere completely different? (Meaning that my departure card will not match my destination when I'm departing for that 1-2 week trip to some other SE-Asia country.) Reading this thread I realize I could probably have left the departure card empty, but I wasn't exactly in the most alert state of mind while filling it, after two plane transfers and more than 24 hours of traveling.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
you can throw the old one away, and when leaving you can fill out a new departure-card. before the passportcheck there's like an octagonal wooden desk with cards.
if it's empty there then there's like a box on the wall opposite of the passportcheck next to the office of immigrasi.

Utnapischtim

Apr 25, 2012
Helsinki
you can throw the old one away, and when leaving you can fill out a new departure-card. before the passportcheck there's like an octagonal wooden desk with cards.

Excellent, thank you very much for the quick and detailed answer. I assumed that since my departure card was stamped when I arrived (the stamp includes the date of arrival) and it says that it "has to be retained in the passport and submitted to the Immigration Officer on departure", that means that I will need that very card when departing. But I guess that's not the case then.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
If you do as Gil says, they may try to charge you a fee because you "lost" your original departure card.

Last time I flew out, I forgot to take the departure card to the airport so I filled in a substitute card, as Gil suggested. I then had to argue for 10 minutes with the immigration official who wanted Rp200.000 because the substitute card wasn't stamped with my arrival date. Eventually, I asked to see his supervisor and he begrudgingly backed off.