tom

Sep 27, 2009
CA. USA
Please excuse my ignorance but would someone please give me a simple explanation of what kitap and kitas visas are and if you have heard of what charges are associated with the new foreigner married indonesian visa are. Also do you think it's possible to obtain said visa immediately prior to moving to Indonesia at my local embassy.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Kitas = 1 year visa
Kitap new rules for you, married to your Indonesia wife for 2years you can apply for a Kitap
Your new Kitap will last for as long as you live here, paper work every 5years
you will need to get the visa in Indonesia, I think that is the way it will work.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
Kitas = 1 year visa
Kitap new rules for you, married to your Indonesia wife for 2years you can apply for a Kitap
Your new Kitap will last for as long as you live here, paper work every 5years
you will need to get the visa in Indonesia, I think that is the way it will work.
Fred, the part about living here, is it "living here permanantly" ?

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Deal? If you want to make me happy, change the "tourist" by "kawanua". It will allow me to honour my adopted region, the land of the Minahasan. If you can't, no big deal.

Salam dari Manado. :icon_wink:

You have found a far-flung outpost on our planet Atlantis. I had to look at a map to know where Manado is located. Your posts are always useful and well written. How about a little Manado travelogue occasionally?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Almost 2 years ago we spent some time in Manado and the nearby island of Bunaken. We stayed in a 6 floor hotel beside the busy harbour, and there was a restaurant/bar on the 2nd top floor where we spent some time for sunset drinks. The photo I picked to attach is taken from there when a crowded boat (the furthest from us) arrived and could only dock by double or triple parking. The passengers had to cross the boat they were next to, then come down the narrow gang-plank (no hand rail) from the rusty white boat.

Downstairs on Sunday morning there was singing - really good so we went to look. A Pentecostal group were using the hotel's function room as their meeting place. They welcomed us and we stayed as long as the singing continued. So Manado has strong Christian communities.

It's well worth visiting, besides the island of Bunaken (a favorite place fro divers), the nearby hills and the coasts to the north have great spots. We went with Lion Air, stopping along the way in Makassar which suited us.

Makassar Boats

Last edited by a moderator:

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Fee?

Ok, not having the patience to read through 50 posts, do you still need to pay the USD 1,200 tax if you want to work as a foreigner (and have been maried for 2 yrs)?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I believe the law only covers immigration issues and how this will effect other government ministries has not been decided yet, like the ministry of Manpower. So, while I wouldn't expect that you need to pay the $1200 fee, nothing really is certain yet. I am sure Atlantis if he reads this, can explain the situation better.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Ok, not having the patience to read through 50 posts, do you still need to pay the USD 1,200 tax if you want to work as a foreigner (and have been maried for 2 yrs)?
From Atlantis' post:

Atlantis said:
I have read here and there that "foreigners married to an Indonesian will be authorised to work wherever they want in the archipelago". Nothing is more inexact in my opinion. The law states only that these foreigners married with an indonesian, former WNI, and kids having chosen a foreign citizenship and release their WNI status can be authorized to work. That's pretty much the terms of the article 61. It implies that further procedures, rules and limitations may (and will) occure. It is obviously not to an Immigration Act to clarify working issues. The immigration act can only categorize those eligible to work. That is a subsequent difference.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
i don't see any changes then??? if the foreigner still might have to pay to work...

the only thing i see that changes is for 'kids'...now they have till the age of 21 to make a choice between nationality either WNI or XXX

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
maybe somebody here who have interest to attending this invitation.
For mix marriage couple living in Jakarta, many question about new law can you ask directly:
on Saturday, 16 April 2011, 10.00 - 13.00 WIB
at Cafe Batik, Pasaraya Gran de Lt. 2, Blok M (tentative)
Speaker: TAPC-Tim Advokasi Perkawinan Campuran
PM me for telefonnumber from contactperson who have more information and for confirm for your attending.
I hope after the meeting they have some notice as answer for many question ... or we waiting until one month, we´ll be clever

-Dyah

Sorry guys to bump the thread.
The new immigration law has been legalized last week by Pak SBY and is called Undang Undang nomor 6 tahun 2011 tentang keimigrasian. It is possible to upload it on the SetNeg website.

If anyone has question, please fire them. I am at the moment in my home country but will try to log from time to time to comment or answer. This law is a HUGE step forward for many of us having settled in Indonesia.

Last edited by a moderator:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
@Atlantis no need to apologise. Thanks for updating us. The link unfortunately didn't work.

@Gilbert no change yet. People are saying some time in 2012 that the new law will come into affect.