alphonso

May 26, 2011
It also depends on what your home bank will let you do.

Like a daily withdrawal limit that your home bank has placed on your account? You're probably able to increase that just by asking them. If they don't increase it, and you're stuck with a paltry $100 per day or whatever, i'd be changing banks.

steelersman

Jul 3, 2011
alphonso,

It is not easy to change banks in America when you are not living in America. Eventually I will set up an account in Indonesia and have my montly budget transfered to Indonesia.

alphonso

May 26, 2011
alphonso,

It is not easy to change banks in America when you are not living in America. Eventually I will set up an account in Indonesia and have my montly budget transfered to Indonesia.

Fair enough, I didn't realise you were already outside your country.

LMM

Mar 6, 2008
Barcelona
Opening a Bank account without a KITAS

Hi everybody
I may be a little repetitive but the fact is that last August I tried to open an account at the BII and BCA without having a KITAS and in both cases I was told it was not possible. I am a spanish citizen visiting regularly Bali with the intentions of moving eventually and building a house in the near future. Having a bank account seems unavoidable. Any suggestions? I would not like transferring large amounts of money to a "friend's" account.
thanks
LM

f-one17

Jun 26, 2012
Bank Permata is not the only Bank to accept a new account. BII extends the same service, if you go with an Indonesian who has an account too, as I mentioned before.

Hello,
I would like to open an account in any bank in Bali. I do not have a kitas. I am french but i only have an account in ANZ Australia. At the moment, banks charge me something like 50$ for every 500$ i get from them...
Can someone help me and be my referee please ?
Thanks

Alezandra Jaraba

Nov 27, 2012
LMM,
i am spanish, with no Kitas and managed to open a bank account (RP currency) in Danamon (Jl Raya Ubud). The only thing they requested was to have a sponsor, meaning a person with an account in the same bank, which by the way...at the moment of opening the account, the clerk asked a guy that was sitting close to me, managing his account if he could be my sponsor. - Just formalitas...he said. He signed the paper and done. In 1 hour i had my bank account open, with ATM card (no name on it) and access to online banking. If you need any other details, please PM. I managed to transfer money from my bank account in Spain to Danamon without any problems...

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
LMM,
i am spanish, with no Kitas and managed to open a bank account (RP currency) in Danamon (Jl Raya Ubud). The only thing they requested was to have a sponsor, meaning a person with an account in the same bank, which by the way...at the moment of opening the account, the clerk asked a guy that was sitting close to me, managing his account if he could be my sponsor. - Just formalitas...he said. He signed the paper and done. In 1 hour i had my bank account open, with ATM card (no name on it) and access to online banking. If you need any other details, please PM. I managed to transfer money from my bank account in Spain to Danamon without any problems...

This is interesting. The banks I informed to open an account, all said they couldn't help me unless I was Indonesian or I had a KITAS. That's the reason I used a friend to open an account on his name.
Detailed information on how and where, more than welcome. If anyone has experience with BCA, this is my preferred bank. ;-)

Robsail

Jun 21, 2012
I recently opened a bank account at Danamon, Kerobokan. I just needed a sponsor , a local with an account at that branch. they could not have been more helpful , branch manager went out of her way to assist , and is very happy to assist foreigners with bank accounts. She speaks excellent English , and it is a taste of how banks used to be , friendly personal service , I even get greeted by guards on a first name basis now. If you put a minimum of $5000 AUD in their IDR premier account , these is a whole host of special benefits as well.

I G. A. N. Sulastrini
Branch Managar Badung Kerobokan|PT. Bank Danamon Indonesia, Tbk|Jl. Raya Kerobokan No.54 Kuta Badung|Phone: 0361-730084 ext.3110|Fax: 0361-731189|Mobile: 08174747452|Flexi: 0361-7928298|Email:[email protected]

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
I'm interested to know if anyone managed to open an account at BCA without having a KITAS?
I have an account there on name of a friend and it would be nice to have it on my name. Until now, all the time I asked them, the answer was it isn't possible.
After reading several having opened an account at other banks, I start thinking I should change bank, although I've always been happy with BCA so far.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Is there a reason most of the posters keep pounding away wanting to open an a/c with BCA..... the above answers seem to be pointing you at Danamon, so it seems logical to me to try them 1st.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Is there a reason most of the posters keep pounding away wanting to open an a/c with BCA..... the above answers seem to be pointing you at Danamon, so it seems logical to me to try them 1st.

I have no idea why those posting in this thread refer to BCA. But it does have some advantages.

For example, I was just buying Air Asia tickets and found that you can pay from your BCA account (if you have Internet banking enabled) instead of credit card. (For me paying with an Aussie credit card would mean a currency exchange plus an extra fee on foreign currency transactions.) BCA seem to be the only bank they have connected up for this right now - but I would guess more will be added soon.

hmbphd

Mar 31, 2012
I had the same experience with that Danamon branch - biggest problem is they didn't like how different my signature looked from in my 6 YO passport and I had a hard time duplicating it.

I don't believe any other local bank will do it without KITAS.

Didn't know about the added services for additional deposit - great to know.

hmbphd

Mar 31, 2012
Call (Skype) your US bank and ask for larger transaction limit. Mine is $1000 a day, with more if I need it. Most banks will at least allow $200.

Or, as stated, open a Danamon account. But then you will have to funnel money into it in $100 increments. Sounds like a pain and could be costly with fees, etc. from the US Bank.

Andrew

Mar 25, 2012
Sanur
Mandiri (Sanur branch) does it if you have a recommendation letter from an Indonesian citizen who has an account with Mandiri. Don´t know what the reco letter said as it was all done in the Mandiri office and I really didn´t care as I didn´t have to sign it.

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
BCA is my choice because I use them already for some years and know how their systems and online banking works as I already use it a lot. As someone said earlier, u can use the online banking to pay AirAsia tickets, I use it also for Citylink, Smart, XL, IM3 and other payments. I'm happy with this bank and if I could stay there, I would prefer that.

penyu

Oct 13, 2012
I opened a bank account with Danamon no problems at all and as noted on another post, they were very helpful. I just took my sponsor with me (who does not have a Danamon account) and it was still no problem.

Andrew

Mar 25, 2012
Sanur
Coming from Denpasar, at the traffic light at Sanur Paradise Plaza Hotel continue on the Ngurah Rai Bypass. About 30m after the traffic light there´s Mandiri on the right side of the road, you have to make a U-turn.

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Thanks for the directions Andrew, been thinking about changing from PT Commonwealth to Mandiri but only knew of the branch in Denpasar, Bonus :)