Euc-

Nov 28, 2012
No one mentioned BNI. Same deal, your Indonesian friend who has an account and known you for over a year comes with you to set it up.
My card works in Australia to boot.

Indeed, when I just arrived and my KITAS was under processing my company set-up the BNI account for me actually, I haven't been to a branch even once so far. They told me they just told the bank that I work here, my KITAS is being processed and I had an atm card 4 weeks (don't ask..) later.

Probably helped that my company does all their banking with them so they aren't that strict, but nevertheless it is possible to do it without a KITAS.

I have however not managed to obtain an Indonesian credit-card without being told to put a hefty deposit for the same amount as the credit limit, despite my salary being well over their minimum requirements. Anyone any ideas?

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I have however not managed to obtain an Indonesian credit-card without being told to put a hefty deposit for the same amount as the credit limit, despite my salary being well over their minimum requirements. Anyone any ideas?

Many financial institutions are wary of doing business in Indonesia and the Indonesian banks seem to be wary of credit cards. Why not just get a debit card and use it just like a credit card? Easy done.

Euc-

Nov 28, 2012
Many financial institutions are wary of doing business in Indonesia and the Indonesian banks seem to be wary of credit cards. Why not just get a debit card and use it just like a credit card? Easy done.

Because you can't book flights, rent cars or check-in to hotels with a debit card, specially with a lot of international travel life is just much easier with a credit-card. (Yes, I could use a travel agent, take a taxi and deposit a large amount of cash as guarantee for my hotel, but why would I when it's much less hassle with a credit-card?).

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Agree with euc post #45 above.

I have HSBC premium in 4 countries but live in Bali where they do not even have an ATM. I asked an HSBC Director of Operations and he said that getting a permit from Indonesia to open a foreign bank outlet is almost impossible.
My friends from USA tried to book a flight on Lion Air from Bali to JKT by using Mastercard and Visa issued by different US banks and was rejected. They bought from Air Asia.
Last week I tried to book Lion Air from JKT to Bali with Mastercard issued in HSBC JKT and was rejected as they do not permit purchase by C/C within 48 hours of a flight. I also bought from Air Asia.

Last week my wife applied for a Carrefour C/C (issued by Bank Mega) as we use Carrefour a lot for groceries and can get a discount. Yesterday we went to Bank Mega and within 30 mins. walked out with an account and a Bank Mega C/C which gives big discounts at many shopping outlets and restaurants. We were impressed by the service and will be using Bank Mega a lot in future.

However, this does not address the OP question as we both have retirement Kitas. I was told by HSBC that it is a Bank of Indonesia (BI) requirement to have a Kitas, at minimum, to open a bank account in Indonesia.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Update to my previous post #46
Seems I was a bit premature in writing #46. I really meant we were accepted for a Bank Mega/Carrefour C/C.
We have now been told that our C/C will not be forthcoming as we are both on a Kitas Visa. They say we need to have a fixed deposit around double the maximum permitted on their credit card to have one issued.
I'm very disappointed and have cancelled our account with Bank Mega and also do more grocery shopping in Tiara Gatsu than Carrefour....it is considerably cheaper!

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I was offered C/C by some banks, they come in to work & i fill the form out & they go off happy. Next week they come back & say I have to deposit the amount of the C/C into a account. I tell them that I now don't want there swipe machine!!! But my wife has 5 C/C from anywhere. They worry I may do a runner & leave my house behind. No logic

surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
No one mentioned BNI. Same deal, your Indonesian friend who has an account and known you for over a year comes with you to set it up.
My card works in Australia to boot.

We just arrived in Bali with no KITAS, and have no intention of getting one if it's not necessary. I have an online business and real estate in Canada, and generate all of my income outside of Indonesia. My revenue is deposited into a Canadian bank account.

I've read on this forum that it's possible to get an account at an Indonesian bank if an Indonesian accompanies me to the bank and has an account at the bank. In the past day I've been told at two separate banks (BCA and BNI) that this is not possible. At both banks I was told that I need a KITAS in order to open an account. Upon being told this, I asked if it was possible to open an account without a KITAS, as long as an Indonesian friend had an account at the bank and could vouch for me. I was told - firmly and repeatedly - that this is not the case.

What am I doing wrong? Is it just a matter of not talking to the right person at these banks?

Moe

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Moe I have a sosbud and have my own accounts at a few indo banks . basically your indo Friend( who must have an account for over 1 yr at that branch) can basically "sponsor" your non kitas bank account .

Robsail

Jun 21, 2012
I cannot speak highly enough of Danamon bank , Kerobokan. You need somebody with an account at Danamon to sponsor you , not necessarily a local.

Bank manager is very helpful and speaks great English, in fact they all do

I WAYAN SUKARMA

Branch Managar Badung Kerobokan|PT. Bank Danamon Indonesia, Tbk
Jl. Raya Kerobokan No.54 Kuta Badung
Phone: 0361-730084 ext.3110
Fax: 0361-731189|Mobile: 087860819735
Email:[email protected]

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
Just last week I managed to open two accounts at Permata bank in Ubud, IDR and AUD accounts. I don't have a KITAS and didn't need an introduction from an account holder. Just walked in and a couple of hours later had the accounts. Very good service also. So the closest Permata bank branch to you might be worth a try.

QuestionMark

Feb 11, 2012
do they have online banking? I see something about http://permatanet.com/ but that website is down right now which isn't very assuring.

Edit: Works now.

I was recommended Permata or BII for ease of setting up without a KITAS, anyone here experiences with BII? Seems to be owned by Maybank and their website looks a little bit better imo.
Permate owned by Standard Chartered, so I guess both are pretty safe.

Last edited:

gsw_76

Jun 11, 2012
Bowral, Australia
do they have online banking? I see something about http://permatanet.com/ but that website is down right now which isn't very assuring.

Edit: Works now.

I was recommended Permata or BII for ease of setting up without a KITAS, anyone here experiences with BII? Seems to be owned by Maybank and their website looks a little bit better imo.
Permate owned by Standard Chartered, so I guess both are pretty safe.

Hi QuestionMark, yes Permata has Internet banking and I've been quite impressed by it. All in English and some good features. They also have a good mobile phone app for apple or android if needed. I have been in the branch a few times over the last few days and the service continues to be very good.

acidsun

Aug 29, 2013
Thank u for posting. I'll be moving in Bali soon so it's very helpful. Can u also open account in USD or EUR? And can u get atm card with that which u can also use to set up paypal? Thanks.

hmbphd

Mar 31, 2012
Thank u for posting. I'll be moving in Bali soon so it's very helpful. Can u also open account in USD or EUR? And can u get atm card with that which u can also use to set up paypal? Thanks.
The Danamon account is Rupiah only. Yes, you will get a debit/ ATM card, but it doesn't not work as a visa or with PayPal. I have not figured out how to open an Indonesia PayPal account. Looks likeit's not possible without KITAS which can lead to BNI or BCA bank account and/ or Indonesian credit card. AND it can be difficult to use the US Paypal account from here - almost always gets flagged as fraud.

This is one of the biggest headaches about living here. Better to open an account in your home country that has no fees for international ATM withdrawal.

And in terms of the above about air travel - you cannot pay for LionAir online with a US credit card. Have to have an Indinesian friend pay for it with their bank account or go to travel agent. I also get around this by using AirAsia which is usually similar in price, and has better safety record.