nashcrof

Aug 20, 2009
Hello,

My first post!
I am moving to Bali early next year, and would like to bring our beloved labrador.
Can anyone tell us if this is possible? & what the costs, and requirements are?
She is a specially trained medical assistance dog, same training and as a guide dog, with public access in Australia. She usually comes in the plane to sit in the cabin with us in Aust!
I do realise this won't be accepted the same in Bali, but she will be happy with the freedom of a big yard & sunshine.
We will be coming from Perth, Australia.

Also what is the approx cost of a 2 /3 bedroom villa anywhere between Umalus & Canngu with pool, and good standards for bathroom / kitchen. Open plan would be preferred.
Where would you suggest looking for villa rentals? I've been suggested Bali advertiser, and notice boards around Bali - can people suggest the notice boards locations please?

Also what is a resonable amount to to live on in Bali per month? We will not start our business for few months & would like to irganize our savings to last. We would eat out moderatly - once a week or so & live simply. Can't wait!

Thank you all very much for your time :) it is very much appreciated as we embark on our new adventure! :D

Thanks,

Nashcrof

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
This subject has been discussed here extensively. Try typing "bringing a dog to Bali" (or something along these lines) in the advanced search option.

Here's the most recent thread about the subject:

possum

Jun 4, 2009
To my knowledge dogs at the present time cannot be taken in to Bali because of the recent Rabies epidemic,I hope I am wrong.No use looking at archive posts as most of them were posted before the outbreak of Rabies. Suggest you contact Indonesian Consul where you live.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
When I looked into the same question before the Rabies scare there were then only 3 places that were allowed to bring dogs from without problem and they were all Rabies free islands - The UK, Malta and I think it was Sicily or some such. The rest of the world could bring dogs but they had to stay in quarantine for at least 6 months.

Now if you are a dog love you just could not contemplate doing that to old Fido now could you? I for sure would not want him stuck in a nasty little cage amongst strangers for that length of time - who knows what you would get back?

What the situation is now I don't know - please say when you find out.

Gee

Jan 22, 2011
Dogs and Bali....

Looking to move from UK to Bali this year with a lap dog in tow.Doable??

Whats the method that keeps him away friom the cage?

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Not doable. All imports are banned because of the rabies epidemic. Any back door entery is illegal

I can't help but agree with you Jimbo. Although there always are ways of 'getting around the law' I believe to combat corruption it's best not to try.
However as to this law. Why would bringing dogs into an already rabies infested island be a problem? Surely exporting dogs from Bali is the big no no.
Just a thought.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
To jakarta no problem,..legal.
jakarta to banyuwangi no problem..legal.
getting aboard the ferry crossing to gillimanuk no problem,..but illegal.

Same thought, I also don't see the reasoning behind the law of the import being a problem,
indeed the exporting should be a no no.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Looking to move from UK to Bali this year with a lap dog in tow.Doable??

Whats the method that keeps him away friom the cage?

Gee, I understand your desire to bring your dog. We were in the same position of not leaving our pets behind. I was planning to stay in Australia until the ban was lifted while my husband moved to Bali to build our house. We moved to Bali with our pets and have since acquired two Bali dogs. I'm in danger of looking like the crazy pet woman.
And I completely agree that it makes no sense to ban vaccinated dogs from entering a rabies infected country.
The quarantine in Jakarta is two weeks. Our dogs stayed for the full two weeks because we were desperately trying to find a home for a year that would allow our pets. I have only heard good reports about the quarantine station there. Our dogs seem to have been very well treated and the worst problem was that they smelled to high heaven when they arrived.
You might want to talk to pet transport handlers in Jakarta to see what they recommend.

ali alavi

Aug 30, 2009
pet shops?

Are there any reliable pet shops in Bali? From posts I've read here, specially the article regarding the unfortunate murder of a lady I'm thinking about getting a rottweiler or a pitbull since most probably I'll be living on my own.

Cheers,

Ali

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
When purchasing a dog for Bali please remember that the locals prefer blond haired dogs - as they say that they taste far superior to the run of the mill Bali pooch.

It's the best way to endear yourself to the neighbours. :icon_biggrin:

Perhaps you can trade recipes too...?

yenny

Jan 30, 2011
i guess, the legal way is to bring the lap to jakarta.
and, probably road trip from jakarta to bali with the lap.

freetofly

Aug 30, 2010
Still will not be legal to take to Bali.

Hi everyone, we are now in bali, totally shell shocked and I miss my dogs like crazy, every time I see a street dog I realise how much I miss my doggies, but I hear they are happy with my inlaws back in perth, so time will tell I guess, hopefully they will lift the ban soon and I can do it all legal!!

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Hi everyone, we are now in bali, totally shell shocked and I miss my dogs like crazy, every time I see a street dog I realise how much I miss my doggies, but I hear they are happy with my inlaws back in perth, so time will tell I guess, hopefully they will lift the ban soon and I can do it all legal!!

Why not get a local dog. There are so many of them that require good treatment.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Actually Jimbo with that I can tell you haven't been to the island in a while :icon_wink:

There aren't nearly so many dogs around as there used to be.

May have already said this on the the forum but who cares?

Heard from a hotel manager friend that a french film crew came for a stay on the island to to take shots for their new upcoming documentary on "The Island of Dogs" (Bali) and had to leave again after 2 weeks because they couldn't find enough dogs....