freetofly

Aug 30, 2010
indirectly because of rabies, because of the gunslingers that shoot every dog without a collar :icon_rolleyes:

what!!! I have also noticed there are not as many dogs, personally I think it is great - I always felt so sorry for them. but the shooting thing is a worry!!

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
yeah...no joke, the kepala desa Panji even came to my house to warn me for it. It's ordered by the gov. they have formed some 'teams' who do rounds to neighboorhoods searching for dogs with no owners, who then could be shot as having rabies :icon_rolleyes:

I've got some Balidogs who consider my property as their home :icon_lol:...they are good dogs and are pretty obedient for a non trained dog..they all have a collar and their vaccinations are up2date, but when the kepala desa showed up they didn't have the gov.issued "red-Collar", so he warned that the risk could be that when the 'dogposse' are coming up the mountain they could be shot ..:icon_rolleyes:...
So I called my veterinarian and asked him about some red-collar, he immediatly said no problem they are issued free of charge when vaccinated against rabies...so I could drop by and just pick up some of those collars, so done that and now the doggies are wearing three collars...the leather/flee/red. They should be safe now...Because I would hate going to jail for shooting someone who shot my dog :icon_evil:

Gee

Jan 22, 2011
Dog in Bali....

To jakarta no problem,..legal.
jakarta to banyuwangi no problem..legal.
getting aboard the ferry crossing to gillimanuk no problem,..but illegal.

Thanks for that. I am looking to come there around May/June time and if i cannot assure my girfriend that we can get the dog in then it is a huge deal and possibly would stop me from coming to live...

..is the ban likely to be a long one?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Why bring your dog to Bali? It's like selling coal to Newcastle. Why not buy one of the pedegree ones available in Bali for a song, like my old friend here

Attachments

• img871 (Medium).jpg
    img871 (Medium).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 80

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
..is the ban likely to be a long one?

Yes.

Yesterday I listened to a report on the current vaccination program. They believe the dog population of Bali is 360,000, and that at the moment they have vaccinated 60%. They also believe they are on track to vaccinate 70% by end of March.

That figure, 70%, is the "magic" figure from experts that is supposed to arrest the epidemic.

Then they must start on a second round of vaccinations, and their hope is that this will lead to elimination fo rabies from Bali by 2012

Lots of these figures and estimates are rubbery, so it is likely that rabies could continue beyond 2012, and the ban on importing dogs is therefore likely to stay for years.

David W

Mar 12, 2011
HI guys Im new here but not new to Bali, I have been coming back and forward working in bali for a few years and going to make the relocation which I have been considering for a long time. I have always been told so many stories that you can and you cant do this and been reading over the forums to find some very relieving information. I simply cant leave my dog behind, she is 10 years old , staffordshire bullterrier cross but still fit as a fiddle although lazy like most of this breed and loves being around people. Obviously i will get all the right permits and vaccinations first and want to do it all by the book. I cant risk anything happening to her and would be the last thing in the world I could possibly wish for her. She is so dependent on me and knowing at a air conditioned villa with tiled floors she will be right at home.. The heat doesn't worry her at all being from Australia. I know I have read it but just looking for some reassurance and also some tips on some safe strategies getting her to Bali. I have got a few people who have told me she has to be 1 years old or younger and pure breed but after reading on these forums its not the case... I read about the pet shop store and the replacement dog scenerio and a few other situations but if you could kindly share some more stories or some pointers i owe you a night or 3 on the town where I work in the nightlife industry! ( No im not a gigaloo :p )

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi DavidW..
Welcome to the forum..
if you wanna do it by the book, you would get as far Banyuwangi (east-java) then to Bali is not by the book.
Safest what you can do is contact that petshop, they can do all the paperwork (importlicense) overhere..and transport to Bali. They have contacts on both sides of the ferry-crossing, wich makes entering easy.
Hope this helps you a bit..
friendly greetings, gilbert.

David W

Mar 12, 2011
Hi mate thanks for this! Its helped me lots.
I have contacted the pet store and awaiting a reply.
The prices quoted in some of the conversations here are they included the transport costs as well to Jakarta or just Jakarta to Bali?

Did you bring your dog from Australia or another country?

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Hi mate thanks for this! Its helped me lots.
I have contacted the pet store and awaiting a reply.
The prices quoted in some of the conversations here are they included the transport costs as well to Jakarta or just Jakarta to Bali?

Did you bring your dog from Australia or another country?

Hello David W,
I've sent you a PM about bringing your dog into Bali.

David W

Mar 12, 2011
thanks for the information Pollyanna - its really helpful. Im just trying to get some first hand experiences from people so this is great.
where in oz did you travel from and do you know the rough price it cost per dog?

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
thanks for the information Pollyanna - its really helpful. Im just trying to get some first hand experiences from people so this is great.
where in oz did you travel from and do you know the rough price it cost per dog?

David, I don't remember the cost. There was so much happening at the time. But all the pet transport companies will gladly give you quotes and explain what needs to happen for them to do the job.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Just be warned on the illegal route. It can be done I am sure all for a price which could vary as palms will have to be greased. You did however say you wanted to be legal.

The fact is imported dogs no matter what paper work are banned. Your choice:icon_sad:

David W

Mar 12, 2011
thanks guys, yeah its a big risk I know but I dont have a choice and got to remain positive it will all be ok .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Tie its front paws together, give it a sleeping pill and wear Fido over the border as a rucksack.

No one will notice unless he's full of contraband...:icon_biggrin:

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
Tie its front paws together, give it a sleeping pill and wear Fido over the border as a rucksack.

No one will notice unless he's full of contraband...:icon_biggrin:

This is almost how my wife got her puppy into bali a few years back. She came over by mini van from Surabaya, gave the puppy a lelap sleeping pill (which didn't work) and paid the driver an extra 50.000 RP for the trouble. Everything went fine.

I would recommend a muzzle if anyone has the balls to do this

Moster

Jan 19, 2011
Hello David W,
I've sent you a PM about bringing your dog into Bali.

Hi Pollyanna

I am also looking into ways to bring my dog to Bali - from Australia - can you send me a PM with any relevant info

Much appreciated.

Moster