Bringing in a Dog

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
I would be very interested to know, out of all the expats on here, who has actually managed to bring their beloved dog/s to Bali. I understand some people think this is not a good idea etc etc, but I would really like to know of those expats who have successfully done it, how they went about it, the timing involved and any information that could be useful. I understand that it can be a contenscious issue, however some people love their animals as much as others love their children - be it right or wrong, I would like to hear some actual experiences of expats.

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
have a look at this previous post.. . . .

Travel to Bali with Pets
by Dyah on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Anybody know about informations, how can we travel to Bali with pets?
Indonesian Embassy in Berlin tell my relative that she can not take her dog...

Regards,
Dyah

Re: Travel to Bali with Pets
by matsaleh on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi Dyah,
As you haven't received any replies to your question, I suggest you look at a previous thread discussing the import of dogs to Bali, particularly Ronb's comments (near the bottom of the page) regarding importing from "rabies-free" countries.

bali-expat-forum-f2/bringing-dog-bali-t19480.html#p45577

You could also try searching the forum with the key-words, "pets +dogs +import". This subject has been discussed at length previously

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
This shouldn’t be a contentious issue.

Anyway, just in case those who have gone through this process don’t spot your question, check the archives here because this has been discussed before…viz quarantine requirements at the airport, necessary vet papers, etc.

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
Many thanks Roy, I shall head towards the archives. I have previously read input from other's opinions, however I must admit I have not yet read of actual experiences. The one opinion I have read which has stuck in my mind is (and of course respected) that of your good friend Ibu Helen, although it may not have been on this particular forum. A good friend of mine who is now an expat has this dilemma, and I have to admit whereas before I was totally against the idea, I am now wavering considering the circumstances involved.

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
Ma'af Bolli, just realised you posted a helpful reply - should pay more attention shoundn't I? Thanks so much for the links, much appreciated.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
That's true Bolli, your post wasn't there when I posted either. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned the archives, as you already had.

Toucan, the one thing I have heard from folks who have gone through this experience is that the quarantine area at the airport was not bad, the animals were well looked after, and that the actual quarantine time (as required) could be reduced so long as there was complete paper work indicating required shots, vaccines, and such.

Also, those folks who have done this were very glad they did...i.e., NO regrets! Cheers!

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
My thanks to both Bolli and Roy. My good friend has already had her pet vaccinated against rabies as per requirements in Bali, and as far as I am lead to believe he (the dog involved), would now be required to have a blood test one week before he travels. He would then be put on a flight to Bali (from Australia), and then would need to undergo another blood test upon arrival, and then into quarantine for a couple of weeks. My biggest horror is that the flight arrives and some official says 'what dog? we don't know about any dog'. I am worried about the dog basically being held to ransom - does this happen?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I am worried about the dog basically being held to ransom - does this happen?

I've never heard of such a story, and given all the cargo paperwork involved, I think this would be hard to pull off since its arrival would be documented by the airlines.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
toucan said:
My biggest horror is that the flight arrives and some official says 'what dog? we don't know about any dog'. I am worried about the dog basically being held to ransom - does this happen?

We used an agent in Bali who cost a bit but was probably worth it. The flight bringing our dog arrived around 3pm, and the agent finally brought him to our hotel at 10pm same evening still in the same crate he travelled in. We were not present for any of the interactions between agent and government people.

Now, nearly 2 years on, our dog (a Maltese) is fine, has not suffered any of the skin troubles you see on local dogs and does not seem to get heat stressed. In Sydney, fleas were a worry and we had to keep using Frontline, here he has no fleas and needs nothing to combat them. In Sydney, ticks were a worry because if you did not find them quickly they can poison the dog. Here he has picked up ticks occasionally, but they are not so dangerous.
[attachment=0:1f5bzrk8]ChonkiCactusIMG_3301.jpg[/attachment:1f5bzrk8]

Attachments

• ChonkiCactusIMG_3301.jpg
    ChonkiCactusIMG_3301.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 130

toucan

Feb 24, 2008
Thanks for your help Ron, I am very relieved to hear all went so well and what a handsome little fellow you have there. By coincidence my friend's dog is also a Maltese and he is kept clipped and she has aircon so no issues with the heat for him. She also has a very good vet in Bali for ongoing vaccinations and other health care for him. Would you mind giving me the name of the agent you used, either by PM or on here? Again, many thanks for your help and advice.