Dec 13, 2009
USA
We are happy but be cautious!

We are happy to have made an investment in land in Desa Kayuputih up from Lovina but I caution anybody about acting hurriedly or trusting anybody too much so. We were told horror stories about so-called realtors (really scam artists) even having storefronts in town. Anyway, whether this investment works out remains to be seen and remember things on the Island of the Gods take an eternity to prove themselves.

We agree with others when they suggest to try a place on for size and comfort before making such a purchase.

We spent a significant amount of time developing contacts/relationships before even traveling over there to go land shopping and it wound up that the kindness of the people was what saved the day, it wasn't the scam artists.

We were warned about some specific local areas in the North to avoid but we do not want to indict any area herein based on hearsay. Just be sure to make the right inquiries with the right people and move slowly and deliberately. An offering to the Gods will help too!

chrisco

Nov 28, 2010
Best for views - Kayuputih

We also bought land in Kayuputih over three years ago but didn't have many problems - in fact it was quite straight forward. Probably the thing that made the difference between looking for land in the South of Bali is the amount of good sized parcels of land available with spectacular views (read 180 degree sea views with a backdrop of the mountains in Java). We used to live in Sanur and gave up looking for land in the area, even village land some distance back from the main areas without any view at all in Sanur is now many times more expensive than land in the North. Anyone who hasn't been to Kayuputih but wants to know what to expect could probably google one of the hotels (maybe puri mangga or damai) as these have good photos of the scenery.

We also found living in North Bali much easier than the South - has just about everything we need but without the never ending Denpasar traffic jams. Lovina central itself has over thirty bars and restaurants, an immigration office which is usually empty (and takes a fraction of the time to extend visas) compared to the one in Denpasar and branches of most banks. For us, Kayuputih can feel a little cool at times being a few hundred metres above sea level with sea breezes but on the other hand we never feel the need to use air conditioning.

There is no international school in the area and the 2 - 3 hour trip back to the airport in Denpasar means the area may be more suitable for people wanting to retire earlier and make their money go further.

Dec 13, 2009
USA
hahaha, from kayuputih a backdrop view of mountains on Java??? That sounds like the central park apartment with view on the niagara falls...

Thanks Chrisco and Gilbert !! This is Maria, I went there in June and actually saw Java Island on one clear day. The sunset was amazing. Maybe because our land is way up high almost to Melake. The air is cool and clean. Love it there...

If you don't mind, I wish to ask few questions about immigration/paper work if you can kindly write to my e-mail mariaandrobert@msn.com and on the subject please write : from Chrisco-Bali Pod so I wont deleted it thinking it is a junk-mail. Thanks so much for all the repies.

Dec 13, 2009
USA
We bought 18 ARE in Kayuputih Lovina for the price of one ARE in Cangu. We are glad that we can one day build our house and pool and stll have lots of land for gardening and raising fish and chicken without having to see neighbor's roof and satelite tv. Our land is up high, so we have a cool mountain breeze, just 10 min from Lovina Center in case we want to go to the restaurants and the beach. Roads is great and well maintained in Kayuputih.

Water is calm without shark and stingrays like Tahiti (and don't have to pay Tahiti's price too) and we can actually swim peacefully without being told by the locals about few people just died lastnight dragged by the dangerous waves like in the south of Bali. Granted some of the south of Bali has A better looking beaches but what a good looking beaches for, if you can only look at them but worry to jump /swimming in it?

I am told that around my land, the clean water can be bouht for one USD per meter cubic, but if you want, you can easily go to so many springs and haul your own water cheaper. I’ve heard in the south of Bali is 3-3.50 USD per meter cubic. and soon to be even higher.

I was so happy to see many seafood vendors selling on the street on my recent trip and saw our driver bought 5 large fishes for 2 USD.

Love the nasi kuning on Jalan Rambutan at night (Lovina Center) at night for 30 cents ( I usually pay one dollar and the lady would give me lots of extra goodies), delicious !! Love the meatball soup by the beachh for 50 cents a bowl and 50 cent sprite and 10 cent pork rind crackers. Love the 10 USD spa at Jalan Rambutan.

Love the seeafood by the beach in Tanjung Alam, five minutes from Lovina Center. Watching sunset, jump to the water and enjoy the grill fish, deep fried tempura prawn, kangkung Plecing and young coconut when you are done! We ate like nuts and four of us spent less than 20 USD that night (guarantee it will cost 100 usd in the south).

Life is way cheaper, peaceful, more quiet, and the real Bali if I am alowed to say.

A friend argued (on my recent June trip) that people on the south is friendlier. So we did our experiment, we asked every friendly people we’ve met on the SOUTH, where they are from. We asked the manager, the custodian, all the hotel workers, the spa worker, the vendors, and 100% said they came from the north of Bali. I am sure some of them might be from Tabanan, or Negara areas, etc., but on our recent trip, that was not the case. My friend finally shut-up !

We experienced though that local people are a way better realtor than the speaking English or even foreigner-realtor. The price are way cheaper because they are not the middle person, they let you talk directly with the land-owners. At the end I was so glad to give them one percent commision and they almost kissed me for that. I can introduce you to the one who helped me since 2007 if you want. He is to us like my own brother now.

Notary Rina in Singaraja is a great Atorney to use. She took care of me like her own sister and we now become a great friend. Her Atorney husband Putu will be the greatest friend who speaks English well and will help you with so many thing you need. I surely owe this people a lot…

There is certain area on the North you might want to avoid but I certainly happy with Kayuputih. Btw, one fact I love is, guarantee the north of Bali would never attract the local Jakarta people, Thanks GOD for that. So, stay away you new Int’l airport ! I would rather not to have you around the North. And another BTW, I am a liccense Teacher, just got an offer from High Scope Indonesia ( Int’t School, has 17 branches in Jakarta and one in Denpasar) on my recent math seminar I gave at their main branch in Jakarta. I have to refuse because it means living in Jakarta.

I am debating on the offer from some good friend who want to finance me to buy a franchise of HSI and open one on the North? What do you guys think? My husband disagree since our plan there is to retired…

donfuego

Apr 20, 2009
Denpasar, Bali
Very interesting reading, Maria&Robert. I've been staying in southern Bali for 6 months and 12 months in Java and have been looking around for land in southern Bali. The prices are getting really steep, starting at 150 Jt. /are for basic land plots. The intention is to build a place for my family and I would like to get at least 3 are, but our budget is small and at current rates it would not leave much to start construction in this time. Me and my wife are approaching the age of 40 and have left the club years behind us but enjoy a good restaurant or an occational evening out. Activities and school for the kids are our main concerns. Also I need to be in the south for business every now and then. It's been 10 years since I visited Lovina and from what I hear there's been some real development in the area. If I was going to explore Lovina what areas would you recommend us looking at first?

By the way I don't know what HSI is so can't help you there :)

Dec 13, 2009
USA
good morning donfuego. I am not sure if I am the right person to give advice. There are plenty expats that live in Lovina Areas that might answer your question better.

When we were looking for a land, we went to Kaliasem, Seririt, Anturan, Kalibukbuk, Tukad Mangga and even Kalipakse and Tigawasa and I dont remember where else. We found a great place in Tigawasa but our friends told us not to buy in that area. We personally like Kayuputih area, around Hotel Damai for the road is well mantained (so far so good) and the view, the price, the surrounding, the expat's neighbors, the distance to the beach and restaurant, etc. We love it too because it is far to the cemetary, and you cannot see the electric power or nearby one, and the view is also important to us. We also prefer the land that is not too small, affordable, fertile, nearby water source, has the asphalt road access. Don't forget to visit Hotel Damai when you go to Kayuputih-Lovina to see some ideas.

If you want I can give you the local friend's number that can take you around. He is such a good person to us and since he is not a realtor, you will talk directly to the land owner. I think you need to make a detail list of what is your priority/ must have and email him in advance so he can start looking for one. My email is mariaandrobert@msn.com Please write a clear subject so I will not think it's a junk mail.

As you already know, there is no International School around the north of Bali yet so that's surely a main concern. I've heard lately though that home schooling is more common nowadays. When I left Indonesia almost 20 years ago, I never hear such thing. HSI is High Scope Indonesia, an international school in Denpasar. They have 17 branches, mostly in Jakarta.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I am debating on the offer from some good friend who want to finance me to buy a franchise of HSI and open one on the North? What do you guys think? My husband disagree since our plan there is to retired

I think one of the reasons why more expats don't move to the area is because of a lack of an international school. So while it might take some time to build enrolment, I am sure there is a market.

Dec 13, 2009
USA
I think one of the reasons why more expats don't move to the area is because of a lack of an international school. So while it might take some time to build enrolment, I am sure there is a market.

Thanks for the input Spicyayam.... something to think about....

donfuego

Apr 20, 2009
Denpasar, Bali
You expat guys who live up north, is there anything you're missing that you can find in the south but not in the north (western food, appliances, services, etc) ?

How about internet for instance?

Dec 13, 2009
USA
I can't think of anything we haven't got apart from an airport and good surfing waves.

I consider that as a blessing. Otherwise we will have all the Jakarta people and Japanese Tourist ruining the serenity of the north. Prices will go nuts, and it will take two hours to go accross the road like in Legian.