Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
hello all. I am hoping there is somebody out there that can suggest a DECENT IT providor.
I am currently connected to Speedy...that's a laugh for a start!!....bloody awful mob, forever cutting out at the first raindrop...constant disconnection.

I am connected via the internet cafe operated by the homestay i am living in..seems to me to be a modem problem but not really knowing and getting even more frustrated by the hour.

I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Thankyou.

bunyan

Jan 4, 2011
Jimbaran, Bali
cribungra.ru
Hi!

We are using SmartFren's mobile broadband service. Probably the only provider with unlimited packages available in our area (Lovina), though the service quality is sometimes frustrating. The device we bought (AC30 MiFi router) overheats while charging and loses the signal so now it's working from inside a freezer :) It also seems to be weather-dependent as the internet speed drops to minimum when there's rain, lightnings and all the stuff outside. Anyway, most of the time we have the connection that suits our needs.

Smart gives 3 months of free unlimited internet when you buy a router, either AC30 or RE251, the more advanced model. I think the latter is a better option as some people had good experience with the RE251, but it wasn't available in Denpasar office at the time we were there.

HTH

moccasine

Jul 15, 2010
Ubud
mobile internet

Hi,

I am also looking for some kind of better solution for internet access. I currently live at a villa complex where I share wifi connection with the other guests. Most of the time it is ok speed for download, but sending files is so slow. Of course sometimes when more guests are on the net it gets really slow.

One of the other guests here told me about some mobile internet solution from XL where you have a modem and you can access internet where ever you are through the mobile network. I have tried to figure out how this works, but their web page doesn't seem to switch to english even though there is a "English" button. Anyway it should cost about 100k RP a month and the modem is 600k RP. The guy I met said that it was pretty ok speed. Though I'm not sure what his idea of ok speed is =)

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Tamispecial, there was a discussion recently about mobile modems that I found really useful. Do a BaliPod search for "mobile usb modem" to see if that helps.
As a result of that discussion I bought a mobile modem. It sure isn't anything like the great service we had in Australia but it is better than the dialup at our homestay.

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
Tamispecial, there was a discussion recently about mobile modems that I found really useful. Do a BaliPod search for "mobile usb modem" to see if that helps.
As a result of that discussion I bought a mobile modem. It sure isn't anything like the great service we had in Australia but it is better than the dialup at our homestay.

i found out today the whole speedy network is down....then up....then down!!! frustrating isn't the word i would use!

I did once have a usb modem using Indosat which was absolutely hopeless...was told not to use the internet between certain hours because mobile phone traffic would slow the internet service down!

I might wait and see what "speedy" do to improve the service...I might even suggest they change their name :icon_razz:

Thankyou all for your replies.

Cliff & Wati

Dec 14, 2010
Hawaii
Looking to get internet connection for our house in Blahbatu, Gianyar, called telkom but all phone line were full in this area, so no speedy for us, unless we are willing to pay for 4 pole to get our own line (each pole cost Rp 1.5 -2 mil) I thought this is radicalious!
Does anyone use globalxtreme here? would like to know how does it work?
thx in advance

Ron

Jan 8, 2011
Denpasar
I live close to denpasar and i,m using im2 with a mobil modem. Hardly ever get cut off. Speed is also ok. I pay rp 200,000 a month for unlimited access. MUCH better than it use to be.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
If you don't have a telephone line, you will have to use an ISP that will install a radio transmitter on the roof of your house. I haven't used Globalxtreme but I have used a similar set up.

I also recently bought a Telekom USB modem and was pretty surprised with the coverage. Great for travel and as a backup.

Cliff & Wati

Dec 14, 2010
Hawaii
If you don't have a telephone line, you will have to use an ISP that will install a radio transmitter on the roof of your house. I haven't used Globalxtreme but I have used a similar set up.

I also recently bought a Telekom USB modem and was pretty surprised with the coverage. Great for travel and as a backup.

I wish we could find an ISP that just use a radio transmitter from our roof, we were told by the surveyor from GlobalXtreme that we need to put 32 meter triangle tower in our property to get this connection :icon_rolleyes:
The reason is because there are many high trees around.

Spicyayam...may I know which ISP do you use? How much they charge?

Anyone knows Planetbroadband (internet over powerlines?

Thx again,
Wati

Cliff & Wati

Dec 14, 2010
Hawaii
I live close to denpasar and i,m using im2 with a mobil modem. Hardly ever get cut off. Speed is also ok. I pay rp 200,000 a month for unlimited access. MUCH better than it use to be.

I looked at their website, it only cover Badung & Denpasar. Our house is in Blahbatu, Gianyar.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
hello all. I am hoping there is somebody out there that can suggest a DECENT IT providor.
I am currently connected to Speedy...that's a laugh for a start!!....bloody awful mob, forever cutting out at the first raindrop...constant disconnection.

From previous threads on this forum, you will find that Telkom Speedy is about the best service around. Of course it depends on the quality of the phone wire connection from you to your local exchange. If you are having wet weather problems it suggests a problem somewhere on that local line to the exchange. I think it is not so easy to get this fixed (also true in other countries).

So, the most discussed alternatives (on this forum anyway) are the USB modems that connect via a mobile phone network, costs about Rp400,000 for the modem, and about Rp200,000/month for a plan with Telkomsel or one of the other networks. Check out the recent discussions.