taymana337

Aug 9, 2011
Did a search but found information from 2006-2009.
Any information on how to obtain an international driving license? Went to immigration at the airport, only to be shuffled back and forth between various locations.

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
Just present your licence at you local driver licence department hand over cash and you have an international licence:icon_wink:
You have to be in your own country to do so

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
yup BKT is right, you can buy an international driving license only in your homecountry.
but if I remember right there was some online application or extension for australians...not entirely sure though

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

taymana337

Aug 9, 2011
Noooo! I am American, and already in Bali for a while!!! There is no other way, but to apply from your home country? Absolutely no other way?

taymana337

Aug 9, 2011
Did some research and found what i was looking for.
Since I am not permantly here, a tourist driving license would be perfect.
Here is the information i found on where to go. Others may find this useful.
Is this valid? Has anyone done this?

How to Get License

Driving License : An international driving license is a must. if you do not posses it, a Tourist driving License in Bali can be obtained at Denpasar - Bali. The office is in the police office at Denpasar.

We are offer the best service for our customer, Our company help any customer for make the licence during staying in Bali.

We are experience to get license, don't worry just sit down on the back of the car or motorcycles.

Requirements :
- one copy of passport (photo and identification pages and entry visa page.
- One copy of valid home country driving license.

A car or motorcylces license will cost about USD 45 each and are valid for one month. Obtain and complete the application form, pay the fee and have your photograph taken on the spot. The license are ready in ten minutes.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Yes, if you don't have an IDP, then this is the way to go. I had a tourist license previously, but found it very tedious because I had to renew it at Poltabes EVERY month... what a pain!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
How to get an International Driving License for Bali:

!) Get a piece of dark A4 paper.
2) Print any bullshit on it you want
3) Cut to half size.
4) Attach a picture (must not be of you, for a laugh do your dog)

Presto!! You now have an International Driving License good for all roads and traffic police in Bali.

Daughter is now travelling the island with friend and rental car. She went to all the trouble to get IDL, her friend not. Both got stopped with friend driving by 3 police on motorbikes. When friend was asked for license Daughter threw hers across car to friend who handed it to police man. Police looked and then said have a nice day... drove off.

Don't you just love this island?

Apr 26, 2011
How to get an International Driving License for Bali:

!) Get a piece of dark A4 paper.
2) Print any bullshit on it you want
3) Cut to half size.
4) Attach a picture (must not be of you, for a laugh do your dog)

Presto!! You now have an International Driving License good for all roads and traffic police in Bali.

Daughter is now travelling the island with friend and rental car. She went to all the trouble to get IDL, her friend not. Both got stopped with friend driving by 3 police on motorbikes. When friend was asked for license Daughter threw hers across car to friend who handed it to police man. Police looked and then said have a nice day... drove off.

Don't you just love this island?

keep them rolling!! your funny!!! :)

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
Don't bother with one..nobody here has a licence anyway..well truth be known, a recent article said that 30% don't have one.
I haven't bothered for about 3 years.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Everything is possible

Everything is possible, motormouth, and as a bule, driving without an IDL is one them. Obviously, so far, you've been lucky, and if you have been stopped by the police, I wonder how much you had to shell out unnecessarily just to save the louzy US$10 that the IDL cost. As a bule, if you were involved in any accident resulting in bodily injury of some kind, you would soon see that driving without the IDL was a serious mistake on your part.:icon_rolleyes:

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
Tintin, driving here everyday is the mistake.If l was unfortunate enough to hit anybody it wouldn't make any difference if l had a licence or not.You would have to pay the others expenses regardless.
An International licence expects one to adhere to the rules of the country where they drive...well here there are no rules...try and get a rule book in Indonesia and l'll give you $1000.000

alan mcneish

Jul 14, 2011
Driving and Indo

I am an australian living half my time in Jogja with my own company there, kitas etc, For the last 6 years I havent bothered about an indonesian driving licence and even last month someone crashed into the back of me and i just gave the police my australian licence! Most of the expats I know havent got licences however i could buy one for about 300,000 rp but just have never got round to it! Mind you Jogja is pretty relaxed maybe compared to bali where they stop our driver nearly every time I am there things are more strict?

kanginkauh

Dec 6, 2008
Driving Rules AND BOOK ON IT

Tintin, driving here everyday is the mistake.If l was unfortunate enough to hit anybody it wouldn't make any difference if l had a licence or not.You would have to pay the others expenses regardless.
An International licence expects one to adhere to the rules of the country where they drive...well here there are no rules...try and get a rule book in Indonesia and l'll give you $1000.000

This is my official notification to claim the $ 1000.-. Please let me know when and where I can deliver the official DRIVING RULES BOOK TO YOU.

KANGINKAUH

zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
Applying for international driving license in Indonesia (International SIM)

Noooo! I am American, and already in Bali for a while!!! There is no other way, but to apply from your home country? Absolutely no other way?

Hi, not sure if you have found out by now, as you've posted this for quite some time. Tryi this one - yes, it's an agent. INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT - ONLINE APPLICATION | SIM INTERNASIONAL or if you want to do it yourself, go to the traffic police station. Do note that you have to be a resident here for at least 5 years, and of course holding a valid Indonesian SIM (Surat Ijin Mengemudi). I am assuming that you need the international license for driving outside of Indonesia.

The Australian Embassy website has a detailed information with regards to the above -
Driving Licence Information - Australian Embassy
Hope this helps.