Manny

Sep 20, 2009
Dear Friends,

Where can I obtain a GPS device (including the chip for Bali) ? What is the price range. Many thanks.

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
Bali navigator for Iphone?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has ever tried using Bali Navigator for smart phones? More specifically has anyone ever tried to install it on an iphone? The Iphone4 is not on the list of compatible phones and the installation instructions seem to require the use of internet explorer (which I don't think I can use).

I've sent an email inquiry to their tech support address but am curious if anyone has ever had first hand experience with using Bali Navigator on an Iphone?

Welcome to Balinavigator

Cheers

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
the only gps worth buying for indo is the garmin , they invented the things and garmin are in use on ships , aircraft etc .

you can buy garmin in bali at the GARMIN shop . Its on sunset road kuta , on the carrefour side of the road and about 500 mtrs north , next door to rip curl .

the basic car model is about 1.3 juta rupiah , and most models are available including waterproof and vibration proof motorcycle gps,s .

but if you get the opportunity to buy os , like singapore etc they are cheaper but dont come with the indo map pre installed like the garmin indo shop sells .

You can buy the sd card with an indo map or download a free map thats better than the garmin one from navigasi.net .

alphonso

May 26, 2011
the only gps worth buying for indo is the garmin

Don't know about that. I have a TomTom, have used it in 3 continents and lots more countries. Whenever I need to i just download the map and save it to the SD card.

Currently I have the S.E. Asia map on it and it works flawlessly for here in Bali. It picks up all the roads and gangs, points of interest (banks, shops, temples, touristy things, whatever!), and does a bunch of other stuff. When I was in S'pore the other week it did the same, off the same map. Am thinking about going to Thailand in a few weeks and it'll just auto-detect there too without me having to do a thing.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
Currently I have the S.E. Asia map on it and it works flawlessly for here in Bali. It picks up all the roads and gangs, points of interest (banks, shops, temples, touristy things, whatever!),

"ALL" the gangs and roads , Really ??? , I dont know how you ever got to find the time to travel down all 40,000km+ of roads and gangs to test out that claim..., and "ALL" the shops ,.... and whatever also ??? Sounds like they have the market totally stitched up lol

alphonso

May 26, 2011
Settle down, Dave! I merely took a cue from your post where you just made stuff up, like...

the only gps worth buying for indo is the garmin

garmin , they invented the things

[Bali has] 40,000km+ of roads and gangs

if you get the opportunity to buy os , like singapore etc they are cheaper but dont come with the indo map pre installed

places "LIKE" singapore , Really ??? and all those other "ETC" places too? , Really ??? , I dont know how you ever got to find the time to travel to "ALL" those places to test out that claim..., and whatever also ??? Sounds like you have the world totally stitched up lol :highly_amused:

Last edited:

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
Settle down, Dave! I merely took a cue from your post where you just made stuff up, like...places "LIKE" singapore , Really ??? and all those other "ETC" places too? , Really ??? , I dont know how you ever got to find the time to travel to "ALL" those places to test out that claim..., and whatever also ??? Sounds like you have the world totally stitched up lol :highly_amused:

Im very settled , cheers and thanks for the concern :icon_biggrin: , but im not being rediculous though with what I posted .

FYI ,just to avoid any confusion..., "os" means overseas ok , and "etc" ( that you quoted from me ) means other countries that are overseas also , I thought that was obvious if you read the quote within its context to the topic .

I will also respond to the other quotes you highlighted as fair enough , you do deserve an expanation, and I love a debate .

The fact is Alfonso , is that GPS's are cheaper to buy overseas than they are in Indonesia. A search on ebay will confirm that for you . Singapore usually has the cheapest and most recent models as they become available on the market , as does the USA, Australia , and much of Europe
..., which im sure many tourist and expats who would be the majority of readers of this site, are either from or probably visit from time to time, and they could pick up a bargain on them while they are there. But the advantage of buying a gps in indonesia is it is pre loaded with an indonesian map , so you do not have to buy extra maps , although you can get a free indo map for garmins from [navigasi.net] GPS dan Informasi Wisata Indonesia with free regular updates .

Indonesia charges a high tax on items like GPS's and items like computers that hikes up the price here , plus a GPS is also not a high selling item here , so its also unlikely youll see a price war on them here ..., therefore I dont need to travel to all those places to know their going price, although I have been to a few .

Why I gave garmin a good wrap; My Garmin Zumo GPS , is waterproof ( garmin claims up to 30 mins in a bucket of water) which is encouraging to know in the wet season , even just for the humidity here if used in a car ..., and it can take a good beating too , and it surely has over the years . Its very robust , its the top choice for paris to dakar racers, and the screen is twice as bright as anything else on the market , something you need on a motorcycle . It also leaves a track ( snail trail to show where youve been ) , for when you go off road or cross country . Is there a comparable product to match this in another brand I ask ? This is good enough reason for me to give them a good wrap.:icon_wink:

Alfonso , If Garmin didnt come out with the 1st commercially available gps , then who did ?

..., and If Bali doesnt have 40000km+ of roads and gangs , then how many does Kilometres does it have ?
- surely you must know ,as you would have been down all of them to know that they are ALL included on your tom-tom and it would have left you a log, so please correct me on this as you seem to dissagree.
Im really glad you love your gps and that it has been trouble free for you, as they are marvelous inventions , even though they dont have every road, gang,shop, and ...., whatever.
salamat jalan .....................

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
balidavo has shares in Garmin
alphonso has shares in Tom2

I have shares in Blackberry, can hook it up via USB to my LCD screen in the car, and just get the BB maps with navigation.
don't ask me how it works, it does...but never use it :highly_amused:
Bali is not that big so how lost can one get :icon_wink:

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
balidavo has shares in Garmin
alphonso has shares in Tom2

ha ha ha thats funny :highly_amused:
before the gps , I had shares in garam ciggarettes , as that what I used to hand out when I stopped to ask for directions in hope that they gave me the right answer lol.

They are not just for finding your way , but also for storing your own favorites , and you can concentrate on surviving the mayhem on the road instead of looking for a turnoff, etc - thats their greatest advantage for here IMO
- another advantage , if a friend asks " wheres the blah blah blah" , If they have a gps , then just give them the co-ordinates , or swap favorites of the sd cards into each others gps's

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010

It's easy Gilbert....I do it all the time. All I have to do is; say ok, I'll meet you there in 20 mins...jump in the car, drive a little and abracadbra I'm lost. Heaps of fun, unless of course you are waiting for me.

alphonso

May 26, 2011
No problem balidavo, good to see we can have a debate with a sense of humour. I was just trying to point out that there are other manufacturers besides Garmin.

The fact is Alfonso , is that GPS's are cheaper to buy overseas than they are in Indonesia. ....... But the advantage of buying a gps in indonesia is it is pre loaded with an indonesian map

You are probably right there about it being cheaper overseas, and i agree it's a big advantage when coming to Indo to have the local map preinstalled.

It also leaves a track ( snail trail to show where youve been ) , for when you go off road or cross country . Is there a comparable product to match this in another brand I ask ? This is good enough reason for me to give them a good wrap.:icon_wink:

My TomTom doesn't do this, though it's a few years old now so maybe the newer ones do? Not sure. Good to have if you need it, but i can't say i've missed not having this feature.

Alfonso , If Garmin didnt come out with the 1st commercially available gps , then who did ?

Ahhh, you've now added "1st commercially available" whereas in your original post you wrote they "invented the things" which they didn't. There's some info on wikipedia about the first car GPS... looks like there are two companies that claim to be the first. From wikipedia: "Mitsubishi Electric and Pioneer claim to be the first with a GPS-based auto navigation system, in 1990". Lots of history in that webpage before that time too where they weren't using GPS. No mention of Garmin though.

Automotive navigation system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and If Bali doesnt have 40000km+ of roads and gangs , then how many does Kilometres does it have ?

I have no idea! But i thought your number seemed pretty big for this little island. Looking on the internets: "Bali has an area of only 5,632 square kilometers (2,175 square miles) and measures just 55 miles (90 kilometers) along the north-south axis and less than about 90 miles (140 kilometers) from East to West." So your 40,000+ kms would seem to be waaaay too much for only 5000 sq km of land? That's 8km of road for every 1 sq. km of rice paddy! :icon_biggrin:

- surely you must know ,as you would have been down all of them to know that they are ALL included on your tom-tom and it would have left you a log, so please correct me on this as you seem to dissagree.

Yes yes, ok, i get it, i used the word "all" instead of "most". Apologies all round. But your posts had many errors which i thought only fair to point out to you. But you know what? Maybe my TomTom DOES have all Bali roads in it!! Highly unlikely, but prove me wrong! :icon_mrgreen:

Im really glad you love your gps and that it has been trouble free for you, as they are marvelous inventions , even though they dont have every road, gang,shop, and ...., whatever.

I agree, they are a great invention, very very helpful. Beats stressing at the missus while she's in the passenger seat trying to read me directions from an upside down map :highly_amused:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
The Balinavigator map has 10,000 kilometres of road mapped on the island of Bali. This was all mapped with a crew of guys in cars and on motor bikes.
It is impossible to have every shop or warung recorded because these are constantly opening or closing.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
The Balinavigator map has 10,000 kilometres of road mapped on the island of Bali. This was all mapped with a crew of guys in cars and on motor bikes.
It is impossible to have every shop or warung recorded because these are constantly opening or closing.

they must have updated the map , as they are now claiming 15000km ;http://www.balinavigator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=59

I wonder how many dirt roads and trails add to this figure , I know there are a huge amount of them , I cant wait to get a quality trail bike (husqvarva maybe ?) as Im surprised I havent already rattled every nut and bolt loose on my current bike going up the hundreds ive explored so far.

Another thing worth mentioning , is the satelite sensor in the gps units ...,

They are not all the same ......, some are far more sensitive than others . For example ..., I also own a navman , it has issues in heavy cloud cover(rain) and in the city around high rise buildings etc , whereas my garmin sh*ts all over the navman . My garmin zumo will continue to have full bars of coverage in these situations . Dont ask me how but it even works inside my house 95% of the time , and thats in the centre of the room away from the windows. Of course you get what you pay for , as my garmin zumo was also 6 times the price of my navman .

and .... experiment with the type of transport function , eg; (hypethetically speaking) ...,
Imagine a trip from kuta to ubud ; a setting of car will take you zig zagging through denpasar . If I change this to taxi setting it will take me on the bypass via sanur and through gianyar - big difference

nyamabalisoho

Mar 12, 2011
Bali
www.NyamaBali.com
Where can I obtain a GPS device (including the chip for Bali) ? What is the price range. Many thanks.

Hi Manny, I stumbled upon your post during googling around and I guess you already bought one at this time.

There are many GPS brand with different operating system installed. Specific in Bali, I see TomTom, Mio, and Garmin; also China quality GPS Super Spring + some other funny names. I've used and tested some of each above brands. During last 6 years working with GPS, I learnt that built quality of device is crucial to withstand typical usage of GPS unit and for better signal reception. Whereas operating system and map database quality ensure you to get around efficiently during driving. Price will come with quality and brand it carries so you'll need to adjust your need and budget.

We are authorized retailer of TomTom car navigation since mid 2012 as can be seen at Di mana dapat dibeli - TomTom We previously sold Mio brand until it stopped their supports 2 years ago. I have some TomTom GPS here ready in stock and love to help others new to GPS. I've been updating map for Garmin users as well and looking forward to have other brands here to learn how they performance in Bali.

Looking forward to see you or other GPS drop by at my office :)
Our detail is at https://plus.google.com/111886998164640974216/about

Teabag

May 23, 2013
I'm just back from Bali and I used my iPhone with the 'Google Maps' application. Worked wonderful, if you have enough data available on you SIM-Card.

Cheers

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
Here is an excerpt from an email I sent to BaliNavigator 2 years ago after using it for 2 months. I was quite disappointed with it at $100 retail.

I have a (paper) Bali map which has over 3 times as many town names on it than BaliNavigator does. Can you not plot these onto your existing map?
Even well know places like Campuan, Penelokan and Penestanan are not on BN!
It appears to me that BN is fine if you are looking for a hotel, shop or a street address but I have no need for these. I DO need to know how to get to Lungsiakan, Mumbul, Sedang, Laplapan, Penglipuran and Leg.
I can’t find the well-known “Stiff Chilli” restaurant at Sanur Beach or “The Melting Pot”, Ubud.
BN has an index of thousands of Town names OUTSIDE of Indonesia. What for????!!!?? Are there really 13,500 Points of Interest or does this figure include those unnecessary town names?
I have certainly found BN useful in getting to larger destinations faster than by map-reading, even more so at night where many roads look even more the same than they do in daylight. However, I still have to pull over and ask a local in order to find the smaller locations.
Using co-ordinates has worked every time for me however this is time consuming as I need to go to Google Earth and Google maps to find the correct numbers.

BN recently started to give away the regular Java/Bali map from their website. I installed it but found the unit sending me via unusual routes to reach my destination so went back to the original BN map which I had got used to. I have a very cheap Garmin GPS as I wanted to learn what to look for in a better quality unit at a later date.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The GPS units that I've seen so far are completely fecking useless.

After seeing the same warung go by for the 3rd time I took it upon myself to tell the Swiss driver to turn the fecking thing off. Problem is when you are used to only using a GPS then if you turn it off or it dies you are completely lost since you've spent your time relying on the beast - right or wrong and not learning the landmarks and roads.