sonrisapt

Dec 19, 2009
My husband and I are living in Amed as scuba instructors and have only been here for a few months. I have recently found out that I am pregnant and am clueless as to where the best places may be and the costs. Obviously Denpasar is the best choice but with 3 hour car rides each way, I'm not sure it is practical. Does anyone have any advice on other areas in Bali that are reputable or any good programs in Denpasar? I am 33 years old and this is my first baby. I am 14 weeks so far so need to make an appointment soon. Does holding a kitas make it any more affordable or open up more options? Thanks again for any help offered out there. We don't have many expats in this area to ask.

Happy holidays everyone!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Holding a KITAS should make it cheaper. I generally find KITAS prices half the price of Tourist prices, though still a lot more than local prices.

However there is a water birth centre in Ubud that is run by donation. My friend had planned to have her recent birth their but ended up having a c-section in Denpasar.

http://www.bumisehatbali.org/

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
I am a trained nurse, and was impressed with the facilities at Puri Bunda. My wife gave birth to our second child there. It was a cesarean, 4 years abo the cost was 11juta, she tried a natural birth but after 24hrs of labour the dilation wasn't moving so the operation was the go. I know qiute a few expats who have given birth at puri bunda, oh I forgot, it is Jln Gatot Subroto Denpasar, just before Ace hardware if you are coming from the Sanur direction . My wife is Balinese, but I know the price there is the same for locals and for tourists/expats. They are a birthing hospital only, no other specialities ,just obstetrics and paediatrics.

joniscan

Mar 29, 2010
bumi sehat

I live in Yogya but spent the last few weeks of my pregnancy at Bumi Sehat. It is a very special place run by loving, caring people. If you haven't checked it out by now you definitely should.

I ended up having a cesarean section after over 30 hours in labor, but that was also a good experience with a very professional doctor (who works with the Bumi Sehat clinic and whom I'd met a couple times before giving birth). A C-section (twins) staying in the best private room cost about 8 million in 2007. Very affordable.

Yayasan Bumi Sehat

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Best place for giving birth in the North.

My wife is expecting our first child in December. The question is; Where is the best place/hospital and doctors in the north for my wife to have her first baby. We live in the Lovina / Singaraja area.
I have been shocked by some of the village doctors dangerous prescribing [drugs not suitable for pregnant woman] and dangerous village practices. The high cesarian rate worries me too. [the story is the doctors earn more for a cesarian.]
I would love to hear from anyone who has had experiance of a good maternity hospital in the north. Or even recommendations from friends. Thanks 'podders'.
Bit scary for both of us as it is all new to us. So i would like to find the best.

BaliChiro

Apr 28, 2010
Bali
Tough one in the north... In previous threads, Bumi Sehat in Ubud and Puri Bunda in Denpasar were mentioned. Both are great. I'd like to add Prima Medika that now has a maternity wing. Outside of these three, it's pretty much russian roulette..!

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Matt, would it be possible for the two of you to spend, say, the final three weeks of her pregnancy in Ubud in order to be close to Bumi Sahat? My understanding is that babies get a phenomenal start from there and that it may be worth travelling for.
Congratulations on the pregnancy! It's an exciting time.

sallymidwife

Oct 28, 2010
Rumah Sehat Madani

New Birth Centre now in Denpasar West. This is a clinic that is very similar to Bumi Sehat.

I'm an Australian Volunteer International staff member at this clinic and have more than 20 years experience as a midwife in Australia before coming to help establish this clinic.

Sally

Cliff & Wati

Dec 14, 2010
Hawaii
My husband and I are living in Amed as scuba instructors and have only been here for a few months. I have recently found out that I am pregnant and am clueless as to where the best places may be and the costs. Obviously Denpasar is the best choice but with 3 hour car rides each way, I'm not sure it is practical. Does anyone have any advice on other areas in Bali that are reputable or any good programs in Denpasar? I am 33 years old and this is my first baby. I am 14 weeks so far so need to make an appointment soon. Does holding a kitas make it any more affordable or open up more options? Thanks again for any help offered out there. We don't have many expats in this area to ask.

Happy holidays everyone!
Welcome to CHC Bali - Bali Community Mobile Health Care
I gave birth to my first son in 2007 in Prima Medika and with the help of our midwife (Kim A. Patra). She help with prenatal class and pregnancy check-up too.
Prima Medika cost Rp 8mil for normal birth & doctor plus executife room
Midwife cost Rp 5mil for assisting in delivery (including 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after delivery check-up)

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
In the end I used; Klinik Bersalin Anugerah, in Jln Wijaya Kusuma 3 Singaraja. Tel o362-31850. Well equipped clean and professional clinic with great pre and post natal care. I was very satisfied with them. Choice of Great air conditioned rooms with TV and en suite spare bed/beds so father can stay too while mother is recovering. Good food. All in all very satisfied.
The birth [with a very nice well competent Doctor] cost 1,950,000 IDR
Room 356,000 a night
Extras including food, room service, medicines, tests and check ups Brought it to a a grand total of 3,224,200 IDR
I highly recommend this place.
Followed by free immunisation.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Mat! Congratulations! Well done and best wishes to the wife. 3.4 kilos is a big kid for such a little woman - makes me wince just to think of it...:icon_surprised:

May we know the head of your new dynasty's name?

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Hey Mat! Congratulations! Well done and best wishes to the wife. 3.4 kilos is a big kid for such a little woman - makes me wince just to think of it...:icon_surprised:

May we know the head of your new dynasty's name?

Thanks Markit. Yes, We called him Edward Putu. His mother is brilliant and brave.. Natural birth 3 and a half hours from first hint something was going to happen to the end.

freetofly

Aug 30, 2010
congratulations!!!

Thanks Markit. Yes, We called him Edward Putu. His mother is brilliant and brave.. Natural birth 3 and a half hours from first hint something was going to happen to the end.

Hi Matt!!

congratulations on the safe arrival of your boy!! well done wife!! she now deserves a lifetime supply of massage!!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
"Edward" being a good regal British name, "Putu" being the first of the bunch one could almost consider him to be ...... Edward the First:icon_wink:

Well done, mate - we'll raise a Bintang to wet his head next time.

Mark