matf

just wondering if people have noticed how expensive it it to buy a 4 burner gas bbq, cheapest ones i can find are around 8-10 mil

im heading back to aus for a few weeks and i have a 70kg allowance flying back into bali.

im going to buy myself a simple little flat packed 2-4 burner bbq no gas bottle, juts wondering if it will be a problem through customs?

and if anyone else would be interested as i may be able to bring a few as they are only about 10 kg flat packed

unless anyone knows where i can get a cheapie in bali

I know they aren't cheap in Bali but do you expect it will be less expensive to buy one overseas and then go to the trouble of bringing it into Bali? We bought ours from Tropical Pools and we're happy with the quality of the grill. It was expensive but it would have also been expensive to buy it in Australia.

Have to agree with matf...BBQ's are ridiculously expensive in Bali or RI for that matter. The ones I saw in Tropical Pools and Ace are made in The Peoples Republic of China and identical to those sold in Costco in USA or Canada, at less than a quarter of the price in Indonesia.

Earlier this year I bought a S/S table-top gas BBQ, with extendible legs, in Costco, Vancouver and stuffed it into a giant suitcase and never got questioned at Jakarta. However, to get it to fit the Indonesian gas bottle needed a conversion which cost about the same as I paid for the bloody BBQ in the first place.
FWIW
For me (S+*%) like this always happens...sometimes it is best to bite the bullet and buy local....at least any problems can be dealt with locally.

Last edited:
In Oz the connectors for the gas bottles are different, so take a good look at gas bottles here before you go back.

thanks for the info guys i didnt even think to check the gas bottle connections ill be sure to take a photo before buying one in aus,

although i agree that it would be easier to buy in bali, i have looked at tropical pools and carrefour and mitra 10, but the Simple 2-3 burner bbq just insnt available in bali all they have are all too big and pricey ...and an $80 flat packed bbq put in my board bad wont be that much trouble....i hope

thanks for the info guys i didnt even think to check the gas bottle connections ill be sure to take a photo before buying one in aus,

although i agree that it would be easier to buy in bali, i have looked at tropical pools and carrefour and mitra 10, but the Simple 2-3 burner bbq just insnt available in bali all they have are all too big and pricey ...and an $80 flat packed bbq put in my board bad wont be that much trouble....i hope

@matf....Not only the connector but the pressure reducer (PR). The Indonesian connector to the bottle usually also houses the PR and on US/Canada BBQ's the PR is on the unit, not sure about Aussie ones. So it is a bit difficult (but not impossible) to change systems.
I did see a 'China made' simple stand BBQ in ACE but it was still around Rp4M. It wasn't S/S and looked like it could easily rust if not protected.

btw careful what goes into your 'board bag' .....remember SC, still in the big white house in Kerobokan. She said she didn't know how that stuff got into her 'board bag'..:icon_e_wink:

I'm a nut for stats so when reading this the following useless shite went throught what I laughingly call, my mind:

Price of a top of the line BBQ from Tropical Pools - 10,000,000 IDR (approximate)

Normal times a week you usually BBQ - once

For that price you could get a local to do all the work over a dried coconut husk and local BBQ for the next 8 years.

I'm a nut for stats so when reading this the following useless shite went throught what I laughingly call, my mind:

Price of a top of the line BBQ from Tropical Pools - 10,000,000 IDR (approximate)

For that price you could get a local to do all the work over a dried coconut husk and local BBQ for the next 8 years.

Hence why I want a cheapie just for the odd sausage sizzle

@matf....Not only the connector but the pressure reducer (PR). The Indonesian connector to the bottle usually also houses the PR and on US/Canada BBQ's the PR is on the unit, not sure about Aussie ones. So it is a bit difficult (but not impossible) to change systems.
I did see a 'China made' simple stand BBQ in ACE but it was still around Rp4M. It wasn't S/S and looked like it could easily rust if not protected.

btw careful what goes into your 'board bag' .....remember SC, still in the big white house in Kerobokan. She said she didn't know how that stuff got into her 'board bag'..:icon_e_wink:

Thanks for the tip,

And hopefully a BBQ in my board bag won't put me in a new house in Kerobokan, and if it does I hope they let me bring it inside for a inmate sausage sizzle

I Looked at all the BBQ options quite some time back and so did other I know of .
- I looked for parts (ie;Burners ) to get one built , and this is a good option, but I had trouble finding quality burners , but have since been told of somewher in denpasar (i forgot exactly where) that makes commercial grade stuff .
- Another option is to use wood /coconut husks like the locals ( as suggested it this thread ) - but this type of cooking enormously limits how and what you can cook plus lighting fires etc sucks over pushing a button and having exact instant flame controll.

....., Also hoods on BBQs are great and also turns the BBQ into a good oven .

- Webber type coal fed BBQs are a cheaper option also to gas , just not as conveinient and temperatures are not as controlled

I know of 2 cases where BBQs were bought into Bali via the airport ( 1 in a flatpack - the other in parts over a few different flights ) ..., and in both cases these individuals were extorted/charged high (and corrupt) import taxes from the customs people ( usually jakarta customs are not so blatantly rude and unjust as thier bali counterparts) and in both cases they eventuall wished they just bought the BBQ in bali to begin with (ie; after all their efforts )

I hung back and waited , and over the time I saw the quality of BBQs being imported to Indonesia greatly improve (although really expensive ) over the last 2 years .

The Tropical pools and spa BBQs are Ok , but not great ..., as firebox metal thickness is very thin (also unsure of what grade stainless steel they are also ) and the burners and gas valves etc look cheap . I found their 10 juta BBQs are worth about $300 in australia , therefore not good value , but we are not in Ausrtalia , so comparison is not warrented in this case )

Ace used to have gas webbers ,(they still stock the coal webbers) but have swiched to USA/Canada Made Broil kings .

I bit the bullet and bought a broil king , and also swallowed the bullet buy buying a top line broilking ( super expensive 17 juta , but a similar quality BBQ in Os would be $1200+ in Australia , so therefore better value IMHO , when comared to the tropical pools and spa BBQs ) ...., with a eastclean big deep and rustfree cast aluminium firebox as tough like an engine sump (everything else is Stailess steel , and for the extra few juta was a wise decision in getting the better model broil king . Another great thing with these broil kings ,is the burners are superb with even heat distribution (ie -no cool spots on the grill from front to back ) and High BTU gas output, and the adjusting valves/knobs work so precisely that I can bake etc by setting the initial temperature (with hood closed ) and easily maintain my set temperature once reached without contant checking or re adjusting , as I would need to do on all other BBQs in the past that ive used .

I can say that with this BBQ , I have no need for an oven, and our "kompor" is now mostly just used for boiling water for coffee or very small cooking tasks only .
Another advantage with Broil king (or webber) is parts shouldnt be a problem over the years like I imagine the chinese made imitations .
Its a pleasure to have a BBQ that works just right , and we use ours now almost every night of the week and I enjoy doing it also.
( ps- check out the BBQ pit boys on you tube for some great BBQ Ideas and recipes) :)

I've got a small and large local bbq. So far only used the small (weekly) with dried coconut husk. Anyone using the larger one? Wood? Coals? Just for barbequing chicken and steaks. Seems the way to go with the price of gas barbies!

I've also bought a grill plate to put on it for vegies. Hope to do some entertaining soon! All welcome! (once I get it right!) :)

I've got a small and large local bbq. So far only used the small (weekly) with dried coconut husk. Anyone using the larger one? Wood? Coals? Just for barbequing chicken and steaks. Seems the way to go with the price of gas barbies!

I've also bought a grill plate to put on it for vegies. Hope to do some entertaining soon! All welcome! (once I get it right!) :)

The ONLY reason a local would use that BBQ is the price (ie; a real BBQ is way beyond what they can afford ) We all know a grill plate or griddle perched on top of 2 bricks or rocks with a burning peice of wood beneath it for heat - will do the job of grilling (only just ) ...........,

The reality of those BBQs are they are a pain in the ass to cook on , and its very limited in what you can cook on them .

Locals concentrate mostly on 2 dishes , ayam bakar and Ikan Bakar . When they cook Ayam bakar , it is first boiled (cooked) with spices , so The BBQ is only re-heating the chicken and charring up the outside , plus constant basting in a spice infused oil and turning of the chicken pieces is also required ( so much in fact , that they use a grilling basket with wooden handles to cook with ) . With Ikan Bakar , the fish is butterflied ( to speed up cooking without drying out the fish ) and again placed in the grilling basket , and coated in a spicy and very moist paste (bumbu) to stop it drying out,and also to add flavour... , and this fish is also constantly basted (non stop) (like the chicken) while it is being grilled ,to stop it drying out .

When you try to cook like this , you may find that your beer will get warm and you wont have much time to socialize with friend while cooking as the BBQ needs ALL your attention , or youll burn or dry out your food ..., ie; unless thin steaks and sausages are all you intend cooking , and in Bali these are expensive .

Also you'd want to make sure that your home or entertainment area is not upwind from these type of BBQs as they create a lot of smoke . Plus the effort and time taken to get the flame started , then more waiting for a desired temperate (ie; let the fire die down to coals etc ) thats difficult to near impossible to keep at a constant temperature ...., then get some guest turn up late ( get the fire going again to the right temperature ) , or you may want to fire up again later in the night ........., when at the push of a button and the turn of a knob has you perfectly sorted on a gas BBQ .

If you want to enjoy your beer / talk with friends / sort out the kids etc while cooking , then you can drop the temperature on the gas BBQ ( you cant on the fire ) and pull down the hood to slow up the cooking process , while retaining moisture..

Now the real beauty of the Hooded gas BBQ ( and also the hooded coal webber type) is the ability to slow cook meats without drying them out , by using INDIRECT heat , where meats can be first sealed and charred over direct heat then moved off to she indirect heat and the hood lowered to finish off cooking . You can also add flavoursome smoking chips , & water bowls (for added moisture ) to the mix also . Thick NY steaks , whole chickens , whole fish , Roasts , Pizzas ..., you name it can be done this way to perfection ...., including ayam and ikan bakar indo style , but without the constant and non-stop basting as with the hood down , you dont need to do it as often ( wheres that cold beer -ahhh ) and .... anything cooked on an open grill is even better if the lid can be lowered at times during the cooking process.

When some people think of a BBQ ..., its nothing more than a steak on a hotplate . In reality ...., A frypan on a kitchen hotplate will acheive exactly the same as this . Do you wrap your fish in foil ? , this is like baking it in the oven, as the foil stops grill marks and the desired BBQ flavor . A hooded BBQ gives you all these options and more . My BBQ gets used about 4-5 times a week , and the gas is cheap , and I have a good view from my balcony where I cook , and if it was a wood fired BBQ , id never be able to use it where I do.

Its true , Gas BBQ are awfully expensive , but - they are super conveinient ! . Are we talking price , or practicality ? , Can we really afford one ? ...., well many off us expats live here and manage to support ourselves in doing so, does a good BBQ fit in with "living the dream " ? .

Some will still argue that for the price , you can employ a local to cook for 8 years ....., You probably can , but can you also depend upon them to consistantly cook you up the delectable delights you desire , or even turn up when you require them ................., me - personally ..................., I dont want a local hanging around (invading my private & personal home space ) at dinner time ...., unless the locals (or anyone ) are invited guests of mine..., where Ill be the host and I will be cooking for them , while I show off my culinary skills for them (and myself ) to enjoy.

The other MAJOR reason why I cook , is I enjoy it , and my food turns out exactly how I like it , which very rarely ever happens when I eat out ................, and .............., I dont have to go out either .

" this is my 2 cents worth "

One last comment on price ..., after shopping around , The Chinese made 10 juta BBQs ive seen (on close inspection ) at troppical pools and spas use cheap components , and would cost you about AUD$ 300.000 to buy in Australia ( about 3 juta ) but spare parts may not be an issue with these overprice chinese BBQs ,as the thin low grade stainless steel fireboxs may rust out before you need them.

.......... , On the other hand ......., I found an (expensive top of the line ) BBQ for 17 juta which are now being imported at ACE manufactured in the USA by an established American company of over 20 years , who are dedicated to after service sales and spare parts, would cost you AUD$1200.00 (1.2 Juta ) in Australia ...., so therefore the price paid in Bali for the top quality version gave me a better bang for the buck . The budget priced BBQ,s here are ridiculously priced here in Bali ..., so you need to be serious about your BBQing if your going to spend up .
- If I didnt have a lot of cash , but I wanted a good all round BBQ , Id go with the hooded webber coal fired BBQ ...., the gas only makes it faster , cleaner , far less smokey, and easier by being so much more conveinient ..., and the gas is less trouble to source .

Last edited:
Wow! That is very interesting. I can see why the Ozzies have a Phd in garden cooking. Many excellent points that should be considered carefully. You are absolutely correct about the difficulties with using local barbaristas (dibs!, my word) and you make it sound like quite an art. I guess for someone that uses it 3-4 times a week it isn't art anymore but "normal"?

Not sure I would want to go to this level of abuse but for them what like it, it's the best.

Have you seen any of those do-it-yourself barbys made from a split oil drum i.e. hooded? I wonder if the grade of steel used in those drums would hold out against the Balinese climate long enough to warrant using one in a constuction? I would guess that hooding it would extend the life considerable by keeping it out of the elements when not in use. Trouble is you have this ugly old half oil drum standing around (laying) and there's not much you can do to spruce it up as paint will come off after the 3rd or 4th barby.

Is it possible or feasable to have the drum construction with both coal and gas both? I can imagine the left hand side being done with just coal and the right with a gas burner in the bottom. The drum is big enough after all. How to Build Your Own BBQ Barrel

Wow! That is very interesting. I can see why the Ozzies have a Phd in garden cooking. Many excellent points that should be considered carefully. You are absolutely correct about the difficulties with using local barbaristas (dibs!, my word) and you make it sound like quite an art. I guess for someone that uses it 3-4 times a week it isn't art anymore but "normal"?

Not sure I would want to go to this level of abuse but for them what like it, it's the best.

Have you seen any of those do-it-yourself barbys made from a split oil drum i.e. hooded? I wonder if the grade of steel used in those drums would hold out against the Balinese climate long enough to warrant using one in a constuction? I would guess that hooding it would extend the life considerable by keeping it out of the elements when not in use. Trouble is you have this ugly old half oil drum standing around (laying) and there's not much you can do to spruce it up as paint will come off after the 3rd or 4th barby.

Is it possible or feasable to have the drum construction with both coal and gas both? I can imagine the left hand side being done with just coal and the right with a gas burner in the bottom. The drum is big enough after all. How to Build Your Own BBQ Barrel

Those steel drums make great BBQs and smokers and cost next to nothing ...., but they do rust out very quickly , but who cares ..., as when it does you get another . They are usually used with coals , but I wouldnt bother with gas unless you wanted it to be gas , therefore you wouldnt need the coals , the only negatives is the lid is awkward to handle

If you can get your hands on good quality burners , then any tukung las (metal worker) can make you up a good/ excellent bbq , but id also recomend that youd need to be there for quality controll and to check each stage during this one - off BBQ constuction ,and you also need to pay them a handsome hourly rate to have the job done to satisfaction ( those who have been here a while will understand as to Why ? ) ..., and most important is the pre - planning and design . There is also stainless steel supplies (like sinar Logan (jl sesetan raya) and workshops aroung Denpasar for stainless steel manufacturing .

One last word about the coals ( **** ie; baked coal ) ...., the **** used here can be of a very cheap low grade (ie; impurities that release ash and other gasses ) that when slow cooking over a long period with a lid closed may produse undesirable results ( but a 2 minute use on your sate's , or ayam bakar from the kaki lima would be fine ) ..., but ace does sell bags of high quality coals ( for use in their webber type coal fired bbqs) but you do pay for it.

Sounds like a plan - now if I could only find a steel drum that was used in food transport not for chemicals or petroleum.

Sounds like a plan - now if I could only find a steel drum that was used in food transport not for chemicals or petroleum.

Any drum will do ,
If you build a roaring fire inside of the drum (without cooking anything of course ) then that'll burn off any chemical residue , then the next day give it a good scrub ...., if your still paranoid after that ...., then repeat the process once more ..., "she'll B right mate "

cooking fuels - coal, charcoal,c-oke ...., what are we really getting here in indonesia ???????????? find out & know what your using beforehand

Charcoal Types (from wikipedia) Charcoal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Binchōtan, Japanese high grade charcoal made from ubame oak
Ogatan, Charcoal briquettes made from sawdustBurning OgatanCommercial charcoal is found in either lump, briquette, or extruded forms:

Lump charcoal is made directly from hardwood material and usually produces far less ash than briquettes.

Pillow Shaped Briquettes are made by compressing charcoal, typically made from sawdust and other wood by-products, with a binder and other additives. The binder is usually starch. Some briquettes may also include brown coal (heat source), mineral carbon (heat source), borax, sodium nitrate (ignition aid), limestone (ash-whitening agent), raw sawdust (ignition aid), and other additives.

Hexagonal Sawdust Briquette Charcoal are made by compressing sawdust without binders or additives, making it completely natural. Hexagonal Sawdust Briquette Charcoal is the preferred charcoal in countries like Taiwan, Korea, Middle East, Greece. It has a round hole through the center, with a hexagonal intersection. Mainly for BBQ uses as it does not emit odor, no smoke, little ash, high heat, and long burning hours (exceeding 4 hours). Just pure wood aroma for the bbq meat.

Extruded charcoal is made by extruding either raw ground wood or carbonized wood into logs without the use of a binder. The heat and pressure of the extruding process hold the charcoal together. If the extrusion is made from raw wood material, the extruded logs are then subsequently carbonized.[citation needed]
Japanese charcoal removes pyroligneous acid during the charcoal making. Therefore when burning, there are almost no stimulating smells or smoke. The charcoal of Japan is classified into three kinds.

White charcoal (Binchōtan), It is very hard and having a metallic sound.

Black charcoal
Ogatan, Black charcoal that is made from hardened sawdust. Used in the Izakaya or Yakiniku restaurant.
The characteristics of charcoal products (lump, briquette, or extruded forms) vary widely from product to product. Thus it is a common misconception to stereotype any kind of charcoal, saying which burns hotter, etc.

Bamboo charcoal
Activated carbon

****/Koke (fuel)From Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_(fuel)
the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search This article is about fuel **** derived from coal. For fuel **** derived from petroleum, see Petroleum ****.
For other uses, see ****.

Raw ******** is a fuel with few impurities and a high carbon content. It is the solid carbonaceous material derived from destructive distillation of low-ash, low-sulfur bituminous coal. ****s from coal are grey, hard, and porous. While **** can be formed naturally, the commonly used form is man-made.

Black belt in barbecue cooking if I ever saw one!

Perhaps you can recommend what you are using here (other than from Ace please) and which gives the best results for which food. I find you can get most anything here if you look hard enough - once you've found it then you can relax.

By the way am going to make the barby as part of a pizza oven - there's fun in that too - finding the correct bricks/ceramic/stone for the oven as here there are no "fire bricks" and the normal red bricks just don't do the job of holding and distributing the heat correctly. Finally investigated my way to using the 15 x 15 ceramic tiles for the oven inside as the best option according to experts. Know someone who is importing their bricks from Switzerland to make the oven - ddddeeeeppp pockets.

Back