begonia

Oct 10, 2007
As to building standards - that's up to the builder I think. You get what you deserve. If you are an absentee builder your chances of getting a good build are minimal, if you go everyday and take part you will be part of the process and able to control what happens. Building anywhere is really not rocket science - putting one stone on another with a bit of "muck" in between, in a reasonably straight line is not hard and can be done even by none DPS Balinese.

Your maintenance costs are continuous and ongoing particularly in the tropics regardless of how well the initial build was completed. If you don't paint it it rots.

I'm noticing a lot more construction outside of the capital - was in Lovina over weekend and lots of new builds (unfortunately also more derelicts).

Ubud is insane busy and seems that nobody is bother (or has time) to build there - noticed that prices there for a home stay have gone from 300k/night to 800k so why build?

Markit, when have you been in Ubud for the last time? because there is going constructions all over around Ubud, Jalan Suweta, jalan sri wedari, junjungan, kutuh kajah, kutuh kelod, banjar taman, penestaran........in front of my house I can see two new buildings on construction and on the same street there is another one.
I haven't been around some of these streets for a while and I went to a villa the other night in Jalan Sri Wedari to meet some friends and I was shock to see the whole road full of villas, hotels and restaurants, I still remember when was full of ricefields not long ago.
I think land was so cheap, that is the only reason why there is so much construction going on or villas and hotels around.
For a owner villa charging 500 $ per a night, if they are good enough on marketing and getting bookings, in a few months they already got the money spend on the land.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Markit, when have you been in Ubud for the last time? because there is going constructions all over around Ubud, Jalan Suweta, jalan sri wedari, junjungan, kutuh kajah, kutuh kelod, banjar taman, penestaran........in front of my house I can see two new buildings on construction and on the same street there is another one.
I haven't been around some of these streets for a while and I went to a villa the other night in Jalan Sri Wedari to meet some friends and I was shock to see the whole road full of villas, hotels and restaurants, I still remember when was full of ricefields not long ago.
I think land was so cheap, that is the only reason why there is so much construction going on or villas and hotels around.
For a owner villa charging 500 $ per a night, if they are good enough on marketing and getting bookings, in a few months they already got the money spend on the land.

Hi Begonia, I was there last Saturday (21/01/17) and I'm sure you are right - I haven't had the nerve to go away from the main drag/Hanuman/Monkey in a while just for the reasons you give. I will never, ever understand why ... "there's a beautiful rice field" - "let's put a big fecking ugly villa right smack in the middle of it", but they surely do.

Ubud is awful during the day - but good at night when most of the bs can't be seen or is gone.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I will never, ever understand why ... "there's a beautiful rice field" - "let's put a big fecking ugly villa right smack in the middle of it", but they surely do

Why? To make money perhaps? :icon_rolleyes:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Why? To make money perhaps? :icon_rolleyes:

I would agree if they weren't mostly private builds done by a bule that intends to stay and wants a great view out his window(s) of untouched rice terraces. What I don't get is that after 5 / 6 years lots of others have the same idea and what was pristine emerald green is now full of fugley builds.

Everyone hating their neighbors for screwing up the view haha!

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
I would agree if they weren't mostly private builds done by a bule that intends to stay and wants a great view out his window(s) of untouched rice terraces. What I don't get is that after 5 / 6 years lots of others have the same idea and what was pristine emerald green is now full of fugley builds.

Everyone hating their neighbors for screwing up the view haha!

In my personal case is not as much as hate my neighbors for screwing up the view but making a complex villa next to my house with a 50 cm between our house wall, which are open villas of course, because they have staffs 24 hours, so very often we have very noisy people next to our house and we can hear usually their conversations or laugh or screaming children on the swimming pool.
I never though Australians speaks that loud!!! Last night a group of I bet australian ladies shouting and screaming at 10:30/11 pm, of course if you are on holiday that is not too late but if you are living a balinese life, we use to get up at 6 am, my child has to go to school so at 8;30/9 pm my husband and my child go to bed already.
In this case I guess what is the paradise for some people can be the nightmare for anothers!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Begonia I understand the situation but I would be interested in the process.

Do you not ask your Balinese husband to ask the owners of the villa to regulate the people that are staying in their villa?

If no, why?

If yes, and nothing happens again why?

Let me try and explain: many expats here in Bali presume/say that the local can do what they want without worrying about laws/bule. I think that is interesting that you are in a position of some "power" but is unable to make it work for you and him...?

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Markit got a point here. I can only assume that if the husband is balinese, the neighbor as well? Usually IF you don't sign the IMB papers the minimum gap has to be 200 cm and not 50 cm?

I know this "very narrow range" just from Nusa Lembongan. But it would drive me nuts too.

Begonia I understand the situation but I would be interested in the process.

Do you not ask your Balinese husband to ask the owners of the villa to regulate the people that are staying in their villa?

If no, why?

If yes, and nothing happens again why?

Let me try and explain: many expats here in Bali presume/say that the local can do what they want without worrying about laws/bule. I think that is interesting that you are in a position of some "power" but is unable to make it work for you and him...?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Markit got a point here. I can only assume that if the husband is balinese, the neighbor as well? Usually IF you don't sign the IMB papers the minimum gap has to be 200 cm and not 50 cm?

I thought if you don't get the neighbor's signature you can't get an IMB.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
oh you can but in that case you need to play by the rules ;) that is for example minimum 200 cm gap between the houses. I had once an evil witch as a neighbor at she refused to sign my IMB application (the reason was : she liked it better as a rice field) so we did it w/o her signature (I think they called it : denial w/o valid reason) and voilà we got it.
Funny was the agent of that woman came to us a year later because now she needed our signature! Guess what we did...

Last edited:

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
After having been here in Ubud for 7 months, our impression is that it is overbuilt and that there are lots of vacancies.

We are late-comers, and we rent not buy, so we don't suffer from a destroyed view and privacy, but I can sure see that others have. They are still building at an alarming rate, I have to wonder who will fill all those residences? People are always looking for something new. They don't want to live in an older villa.

It continues to amaze me how little income (relative to the West) people need to live. Seems like our Balinese masseuse or our Balinese driver is looking for a couple hundred K IDR's a day. So one or two clients a day seems fine for them - and not every day. Does this then extend to the (Western) owners of villas? It must, because there are MANY MANY days when the villas are vacant. Our owners are complaining that everyone wants a discount - a DEEP discount.

We spoke to the owner of lots of Ubud businesses who said she was quite worried over the lack of tourists. I could see why. Ubud has been selling itself as the "New Age" Bali. How long can such a trend last? Years, sure. More than a couple decades - not so sure. Other areas of Bali have obvious draws like beaches -- but Ubud? Not so obvious.

We really like our life here, and even more so when most of the tourists are gone. I now tell our friends that want to visit - come during the off-season!

- Bill

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Bill I've been here since 2002 (just escaped the Bali Bomb 1) and I always loved Ubud a lot. Had a company with an Ubud guy who later became sth like the head of it. Met the king and always wanted to invest / build there. Never happened. The family of my wife still live there & having hotels in the area. I had the chance to visit the marriage of the brother (? nephew?) of the king a couple of days ago but I didn't. Why? Traffic mostly, Ubud became a Disney Land. I still like it but I don't go anymore. Sad.