balinews

The resort island of Bali has become a "fabricated" paradise, where the tourism industry has implanted numerous non-indigenous elements into the local culture for the sake of enhancing the island's attractiveness and luring more visitors, a notable anthropologist stated.

"We are now living not in a paradise created, but in a paradise fabricated," anthropologist Jean Couteau said, referring to Bali: A Paradise Created, a critical book on the formation of images about Bali, written by Adrian Vickers, professor of Southeast Asian studies at the University of Sydney.

One example of that fabrication, the Sorbonne-educated scholar pointed out, is the elephant attractions offered by several zoos and animal parks in Bali.

"An increasing number of tourists now come to Bali to watch elephant attractions. Historically-speaking, the elephant has never been an endemic species of this island.

"However, for the sake of tourism, elephants were shipped into Bali, and the island's image has been readjusted to fit into the Southeast Asian image as a region of elephants," he said.

Another example is the "Indianization" of the local architecture, which is evident in many hotels in the island's cultural mecca of Ubud.

"When we enter the hotels in Ubud, what we see is not Balinese culture. We see a lot of Buddha statues and Indian ornaments. This is the process of Indianization, in which the island is being readjusted to suit the hopes and aspirations of the fans of yoga, who are the prospective patrons for those hotels," he stressed during a cultural discussion in Sanur.

This "fabrication" of images and representations, according to Couteau, is the price the island must pay as a tourist resort and destination.

Bali has become a fabricated paradise

polarbears, tigers, monkeys, etcetc...are all endemic species for the so many zoo's back in europe or US?

fabricated - created, tomatoe - tomato

"When we enter the hotels in Ubud, what we see is not Balinese culture. We see a lot of Buddha statues and Indian ornaments. This is the process of Indianization, in which the island is being readjusted to suit the hopes and aspirations of the fans of yoga, who are the prospective patrons for those hotels," he stressed during a cultural discussion in Sanur.

Bali has become a fabricated paradise

In The Hindu religion which we all know came from India with the [now] Balinese, Buddha is one of the 'avatars' of God. So what is unBalinese about having Indian decor or Buddha! So I conclude this guy does not know what he's talking about.

In The Hindu religion which we all know came from India with the [now] Balinese, Buddha is one of the 'avatars' of God. So what is unBalinese about having Indian decor or Buddha! So I conclude this guy does not know what he's talking about.

Of course, you are absolutely right with your first statement. However, "this guy" is also totally right: this particular use of all these Buddhas has nothing to do with Parisada Hindu Dharma Bali. One does not have to be a Bali expert of Jean Couteau's caliber to see that this particular "hotel iconography" (one of his examples) has NOTHING to do with Agama Hindu Bali. :icon_rolleyes:

Another lovely and agreeable girl/woman joins the forum - welcome and can you cook too?

I totally agree with the article!!!

"Hate" to see Ubud us the "centre of Yoga" when I think Ubud should be or was the Centre of ART, MUSEUMS, PAINTINGS, DANCES, HANDICRAFTS, look the kind of shops are opening new everyday in Ubud, Jalan Hanoman and Jalan Monkey Forrest are full of shops selling clothes, shops open 24 hours...............you have to go to the others small streets to see the entrance of a balinese house, a family temple, a local warung, children playing, to see the "real village of Ubud" ...............
I was shock the other night when after finish to watch legong dance at the Puri Ubud, walking on the mean street of Ubud and just two minutes from the Puri a bar was having salsa music and even there was two people dancing salsa music............................for my ears, my mind and my heart it was something terrible, something really sad...........
I know I have to deal with this but it is not easy for me to see daily how much Bali is changing, or the place I live, Ubud.

Last edited:
So what does everyone want? Should Bali now be like some museum display that portrays Balinese culture as it was at some point in the past? If one or two villages like Tenganan do this - that's fine, but you hardly want the whole tourist industry of the island working that way.

I admire the adaptability of the Balinese as they cater to tourist whims. European tourists think beach locations should have sun-lounges and beach umbrellas. Hardly a Balinese tradition, but no problem - local workshops create sun lounges of many styles and then they can create fixed umbrellas with alang-alang roofing materials. So then the visitors can bake themselves (Euro Bakar??)

When a trend for action/adventure holidays emerged, Bali could not only cater to the surfers, but also developed white-water rafting, elephant rides, tree-top adventures and more. None of this is part of Balinese history - but why worry.

Think of the agrowisata places offering, among other things, kopi luwak. Then, when you are there, just mention the Jack Nicholson & Morgan Freeman movie "The Bucket List" and watch them all smile. They know that many people, just because they have seen this movie then go in search of Kopi Luwak. This movie has done for agricultural tourism, what Eat, Pray, Love is doing for the healing and spiritual retreats.

So restaurant/bars in Ubud discover that live music brings in the visitors. Just walk by in the evenings and see which ones have crowds and which are empty and see if you can figure out why. They have been through the Bob Marley phase, and now if Salsa is working - then they can do it as good as anyone. And while jazz is not a Balinese tradition, the music at The Jazz Cafe is world class (in my opinion).

Ron, hat off and well said.

Begonia - you have the age old problem of all people that go and live somewhere their heart tells them to.

The place changes and the heart doesn't.

My 2 newest neighbours have run away from Ubud after living there for years and years.

Might be time for you too?

Last edited:
Back