I agree that color is acceptable for UK English - the Concise Oxford says so - or at least used to. But other American spellings like tire and plow probably don't make it as UK English.

Tyre or tire was common in England way way back! I think that the Brits have stuck to the tyre for the love of history....
Plough or plow.... two extra letters that make a difference and again the British trying to stick to old heritage.

As a teenager and thus in my rebellious years I was a big fan of GB Shaw. Shaw thought the English spelling a waste of time (re the extra letters) so would have loved these: nite, hiway, thru etc.....

Personally I think a language reform needs to make reading, writing (spelling) easier and more logical - which is why I have given up on the German language. Every time they have a language reform it gets more complicated.

So whether plough or plow, through or thru, as long as you understand what the writer is saying everything is fine!

I agree that color is acceptable for UK English - the Concise Oxford says so - or at least used to. But other American spellings like tire and plow probably don't make it as UK English.

We are up to "ports and harbors" ronb

:topsy_turvy::topsy_turvy:

Back