Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Admin after spending several generations of my life unlearning how Americans (mis)spell nearly everything would it be possible to have you instigate an English, as opposed to American spellcheck on the forum?

I have enough anger-management problems without the added cursing that happens on damned near every line I write here.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Admin....Markit has had me searching all over the Forum looking for this spell checker!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Duhhh please delete this thread as I feel more than usually stupid now.

No leave it, it proves my humanity.

Have now installed the UK English dictionary and will undoubtedly still have further serious anger management issues but largely with myself from now on.

Last edited:

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
wha ha ha........ when I moved from Jakarta to Singapore and was thus in a British school I refused to change my spelling ie the "-or" to "-our". After my British teachers repeatedly gave me bad grades for spelling I did a lot of research.

I won the case!

It is the British love of the French that made them change from the "-or" to "-our" for Latin borrowed words.....! So in effect color and colour are both correct! There is no right or wrong here..... In fact I once had my hands on a very old copy of a British short story where color was spelled with out the "u"....

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
... well I'm talking about way way back! The snobs of certain countries were Francophiles..... The Dutch upper class for example spoke French to each other, the British upper class sent their daughters to France to be educated (which I am sure was extended beyond just books, culture and food).....

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
Many years ago for a far off operating system called Windows 3.0 onwards I wrote an app to spell check anytime, everywhere, any program(me) as I was bugged by the same problem and the lack of spell checkers. The programs that did had one, were based on someone that could already spell quite good, so mine was quite impressive and yes real UK English all the time by default and US as well. Didn't do bad either.

Today my advice is if you are having this problem with this forum you then have also got it elsewhere, so the solution is to just buy a Mac, it's all there. I hated them and love them now after over a decade with the old windows. Can't knock it until u tried it.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Many years ago for a far off operating system called Windows 3.0 onwards I wrote an app to spell check anytime, everywhere, any program(me) as I was bugged by the same problem and the lack of spell checkers. The programs that did had one, were based on someone that could already spell quite good, so mine was quite impressive and yes real UK English all the time by default and US as well. Didn't do bad either.

Today my advice is if you are having this problem with this forum you then have also got it elsewhere, so the solution is to just buy a Mac, it's all there. I hated them and love them now after over a decade with the old windows. Can't knock it until u tried it.

You may have a spell checker, but now you need a grammar checker.:icon_mrgreen:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
No.idea is a sailor "any port in a storm" and in his world it's always stormy!

I know a wonderful Javanese port that was newly built 19 years ago, I dock there on a regular basis. I also know a well established port around the Kupang area.
I did have a very well built beautiful looking port from Sumatra until Goldminer came along and undid my bow ropes and anchor chains. (I was set adrift).

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
I know a wonderful Javanese port that was newly built 19 years ago, I dock there on a regular basis. I also know a well established port around the Kupang area.
I did have a very well built beautiful looking port from Sumatra until Goldminer came along and undid my bow ropes and anchor chains. (I was set adrift).
That is what mates are for, isn't it?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

Help me out here as Ozzy isn't my native tongue, does that mean he paid more? :greedy_dollars:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali

It is the British love of the French that made them change from the "-or" to "-our" for Latin borrowed words.....! So in effect color and colour are both correct! There is no right or wrong here..... In fact I once had my hands on a very old copy of a British short story where color was spelled with out the "u"....

I agree that color is acceptable for UK English - the Concise Oxford says so - or at least used to. But other American spellings like tire and plow probably don't make it as UK English.