Markit

Coming to the most important part of my (endless!) building project now and would like to tap the advise of all you lovely people, that have been so much help to us, one more time...:icon_rolleyes:

We want to build a Bale Begong, Gazebo, Garden shed or nice place for the locals to enjoy the view from my property.

Now having investigated the breathtaking prices for the finished products around Denpasar and not seeing what I want anyway I thought I'd put it up to the forum for help.

I want to build the pillars/columns holding up the roof from concrete covered with stone and only buy in the wood roofing which I will then cover with the same ceramic tiles that are on the roof of the house.

Question is does anyone have any idea how much wood for a 2m square Bale (roof will be 3m square) I'm going to need or an idea where I can get a reasonable quote for same? (operative word being "reasonable" here, ok).

Have a quote already for 5 juta but this seems a little rich just for the fecking wood - I mean, it grows on trees don't it?

Alternatively if anyone out there has a decent plan they'll let me use I can buy the wood myself and my guys can put it together/carpent it themselves.

Much appreciative, your Markit

roofing to alang or not to alang

hello all my project is now up to roofing stage and asking help of people who have been tru it please
prices given are ridiculous just to put a lid on so here goes. any idea of prices
alang and timber needed as opposed to tiles and timber or any other suggestions for about 4 meters by 4 meters and daily wage for 1 man or is it by the total job? would like to buy materials first and then make a start thanks in advance

Thanks for the spelling lesson there Matsaleh, my mum thanks you too.

Google returns the same results however I spell it so they're primed for idiots too.

Speaking of idiots - Abbey if you want to highjack my thread for your own purposes kindly wait until I've gotten an answer first or POST YOUR OWN BLEEDING QUESTION!!:icon_biggrin:

gazebo

Thanks for the spelling lesson there Matsaleh, my mum thanks you too.

Google returns the same results however I spell it so they're primed for idiots too.

Speaking of idiots - Abbey if you want to highjack my thread for your own purposes kindly wait until I've gotten an answer first or POST YOUR OWN BLEEDING QUESTION!!:icon_biggrin:

sorry markit no intent to hijack or any other jack ,new user and your post reminded me i must try to get some info on roofing keep up the good posts

Wanted to give my 5¢ to Abbey's post but kinda scared of Markit.....

Alang2 would depend on where you are building?? Roof tiles are cheaper than alang2 but if you are in a earthquake prone area like we are then alang2 is the better choice. We have a good supplier but you have to be very particular about the quality.

sorry markit no intent to hijack or any other jack ,new user and your post reminded me i must try to get some info on roofing keep up the good posts

The gazebo I have has a roof area of 7.2 metres by 3.8 metres this is made from bamboo with alang alang roofing. This cost a total of 8.5 million.
This tends to make the price of 5 million for just the timber work seem a tad high.

Attachments

• looks okay.jpg
    looks okay.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 110
roofing alang or not to alang

Wanted to give my 5¢ to Abbey's post but kinda scared of Markit.....

Alang2 would depend on where you are building?? Roof tiles are cheaper than alang2 but if you are in a earthquake prone area like we are then alang2 is the better choice. We have a good supplier but you have to be very particular about the quality.

thanks claudia for advice that how can i contact you on return in a few months to get your supplier?
:icon_razz:

Yeah, noidea that's what I thought too. My guy (pool, garden, builder, etc) is firstly a builder so I'm sure he can put it together if I can just find a decent plan for the timber work. I'll just buy in the timber and let him get on with it - but I need a plan first - obviously none are on the web or I would have used those. Hence my request here on the forum - if worse comes to worst I'll put it together myself and live with the results.

It can't be that hard! Can it?

Markit

I could always call past with one deck chair and an esky full of beer. I could set myself up (in the shade) and give you advice on how to do it.
If this offer interests you, please feel free to PM me.

Gil thanks a bunch for that. I looked high and low and found nothing that was usable. My Bale will be square but I reckon with some minor changes this could be a big help.

I'll ask my guy and see if there's anything he can understand there - the problem is with so much of the stuff we build in the west it's like "take a router and..." well these lovely people wouldn't know a router if it went over their feet.

We will see.

Thanks Markit - keep them plans coming!:icon_biggrin:

at markit - router? They'll use a screw driver and hammer to achieve the same results.... Anyways most Balinese know how to build things or they know someone who knows.....
Or go visit people and secretly sketch the construction of their bale2...???

HEY and don't forget the termites that just love wood poles!!! Our palm wood poles had been kindly hollowed out by termites resulting in the whole bale sagging to one side after the earthquake two years ago. We now have iron wood poles - cost a fortune but the termites can't get through those!

at abbey - I'll be back home in Bali as of May 23 (ah three more weeks). Or PM me.... was it this forum where you could only post links and PM after "several" posts???

edit: please note that you can not have the at sign until you have added a few posts - my question is..... how many is a few???

Thanks Kayo but I'm intending to have cement covered in bali-greenstone for the pillars and the whole thing will be sittin atop my pump house (sounds a bit grand but it aint) which is also rendered cement with natural stone - hence my mentioning somewhere I only want the roof wood - can't be assed to look back and check but I think I did?

Anyway I'm only after the wooden roof assembly...:icon_rolleyes:

My bad Markit!
You did mention something somewhere about covered beton! But don't underestimate the termites! And the damp weather so look for good quality wood.
And as I mentioned your builder guy (going back to check now if that is what you said) - yes builder you said - should know how to construct a roof. Good luck with your contruction!

Thanks Kayo but I'm intending to have cement covered in bali-greenstone for the pillars and the whole thing will be sittin atop my pump house (sounds a bit grand but it aint) which is also rendered cement with natural stone - hence my mentioning somewhere I only want the roof wood - can't be assed to look back and check but I think I did?

Anyway I'm only after the wooden roof assembly...:icon_rolleyes:

Well Tonyworker thanks for giving me your first post and sharing that pearl of wisdom with us - I'll pop out and ask Alit if he can do a bit of comp programming or website construction - hell, he's a Balinese gardener he should be up to 120 words a minute too so he can then whip off a quick letter for me before I get him to change the carb on the Suzuki....? :icon_lol:

And when he's done with that can you send him over to build me a solar heater from scratch? I have a DIY booklet but don't understand the half of it!:icon_rolleyes:

Well Tonyworker thanks for giving me your first post and sharing that pearl of wisdom with us - I'll pop out and ask Alit if he can do a bit of comp programming or website construction - hell, he's a Balinese gardener he should be up to 120 words a minute too so he can then whip off a quick letter for me before I get him to change the carb on the Suzuki....? :icon_lol:

Back