hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Theres apparently a program running on the Australia Network channel atm highlighting the plight of the beaches / surfing in Bali now and also about the rampant development.

I'm told it was aired last night in Vietnam. The Australia channel broadcast in Indo shouldn't be too different to that (unless it wasnt played in Indo).

I havent seen it yet. Am searching for info about it online but cant find anything.

Anyone seen it?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Mats,

Righty o, I'll keep it civil and limit my reply to the above. I'll also call truce for the moment and ignore said poster. Hopefully said poster can figure out in time he's not half as funny or learned as what he thinks he is, though, sadly, I sincerely doubt it.

Have a good day folks,
Adam

I've read some of your posts, Adam, and frankly, your superior attitude, what you think of your "wisdom" or "sophistication," is actually the rambling of an old fart, an old fart before having reach the age of an old fart.

PS. Sorry But I had this opinion for several years now, and some good Polish vodka helping, it had to come out. :unconscious:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
@sakumabali...just in the researching stages now, and honestly I have no idea if I will stay there longer then I have been on Bali, or USA or Spain or Suisse...
looking back there is a pattern though of 4 to 6 years before I move to a new adventure.

@Canonman...thanks. legally speaking Cuba has many similarities with Bali..for example, the maze of laws regarding Imigration/Visa's and also the purchase of property (nominee-system) is basically the same.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
@sakumabali...just in the researching stages now, and honestly I have no idea if I will stay there longer then I have been on Bali, or USA or Spain or Suisse...
looking back there is a pattern though of 4 to 6 years before I move to a new adventure.

To be honest I'm jealous, your missus ok with that? All the sexy senoritas etc? Don't be able to speak spanish & communicate? I'm kind of sick of Bali too, it was a hell of a trip for almost 10 years but these days....

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
It's not like I am abandoning Bali, sell everything and never will come back,
but to life here fulltime, till I die sort o speak was never my intention.
The why Cuba, was a matter of eliminating other countries in SA...
Missus doesn't know yet, hahaha..but I don't foresee any problems.
Spanish will come back to me ones there, and she just needs to learn it from scratch.

Why don't you move on too? seems like more people on the forum are having plans to leave bali and call another country Home.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
yeah I want to sell my car hell stuck in traffic anyway .-( and sell my house in Nusa2, just building a couple of houses in kerobokan and thinking about to keep one of these, bought an apartment in germany some months ago...I really liked Antigua in Guatemala in 2000 but I guess it has changed as well....Costa Rica: I have some friends there :) maybe?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
yeah I want to sell my car hell stuck in traffic anyway .-( and sell my house in Nusa2, just building a couple of houses in kerobokan and thinking about to keep one of these, bought an apartment in germany some months ago...I really liked Antigua in Guatemala in 2000 but I guess it has changed as well....Costa Rica: I have some friends there :) maybe?
Costa Rica has a lot to offer: Stable political situation, stable economy, friendly to foreigners, good cuisine and perhaps the most sophisticated of the Central American countries, plus two coasts for fishing.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Panama is now a very popular destination for retirees from the U.S. and Canada. Their welcome visa is easy to obtain and has many benefits, particularly in taxation.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Whoooaaa there folks!! My intention really wasn't to drive you all out.

But honestly what's the point of trading one tropical island for another?

If you guys really want to experience a contrast in your lives move to fucking Kansas or North Dakota. If you have a lobotomy first Alabama is a good option.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Theres apparently a program running on the Australia Network channel atm highlighting the plight of the beaches / surfing in Bali now and also about the rampant development.

I'm told it was aired last night in Vietnam. The Australia channel broadcast in Indo shouldn't be too different to that (unless it wasnt played in Indo).

I havent seen it yet. Am searching for info about it online but cant find anything.

Anyone seen it?

It aired on Wednesday (in Singapore, not sure about VietNam or the rest of SE Asia).

Its a re-run, I saw it about six months ago, but worth watching again.

Its called "They Paved Paradise", after the line in Joni Mitchell's song Big Yellow Taxi, with is the intro and outro music... nice to hear her again
Some info here: They Paved Paradise - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan

If you guys really want to experience a contrast in your lives move to fucking Kansas or North Dakota. If you have a lobotomy first Alabama is a good option.
Your intentions were one thing, but the evolution of the thread led to the growing frustration that many of us feel with what is developing here and the transformation taking place that is so distasteful compared to our earlier experiences. The expat pubs in Sanur seem to contain conversations dwelling on the same growing dissatisfaction with what is taking place.
Your post just opened the door to the general unnerving wariness that haunt a goodly portion of expats living here.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm the biggest believer in "grass is greener over there" and sometimes it is and I really did not suppose to have the powers of persuasion that I appologized for but my original reply stands - all the places listed, be they Cuba, the wayward or windward islands of the Carribean or mainland Costa Rica have equal or worse problems.

I'm also a firm believer in not "running away" but "running toward". We all tend to trash the place we want to leave and "big" up the new destination.

My complaints here are neither but more a call to arms and maybe a warning to those that live and love Bali to avoid the hype and BS that surround us all and see it for what it is - good and bad.

As an eternal pessimist I actually believe that Bali is getting better, truly. I could list a hundred things that have improved in just the 5 years that I've been here.

Cheer up and have a cold Bintang at the Duckz Nutz free beer Friday night tonight.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
I've read some of your posts, Adam, and frankly, your superior attitude, what you think of your "wisdom" or "sophistication," is actually the rambling of an old fart, an old fart before having reach the age of an old fart.

PS. Sorry But I had this opinion for several years now, and some good Polish vodka helping, it had to come out. :unconscious:

No worries Tintin, thanks for your opinion. I guess you'd know first hand what it takes to be an old fart, so i'll trust you on that one. If nothing else, I've still got plenty of time up my sleeve to be an old fart.

Anyways, I'll leave you to get back to your Lonely Planet guides and Google searches to Bali trivia up. Hope you can actually visit one day.

;)

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia

Anyone seen it?

Hi Hinakos,

I don't think it's a new programme. I think this might be what you're referring to:

Regards,
Adz

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore

bjbjrowe

Apr 13, 2012
Kansas, USA

Hey, don't pick on Kansas. Ask my son-in-law that was born and raised in Pemuteran area but has been in Kansas for last 6 years. At least he is able to have a job that pays enough (barely) to support his family in Kansas. He learned the hard way that not all "westerners" were rich when he met and married my daughter. He certainly didn't marry a trust-fund baby like all the expats in Bali seem to be. He would love to return to Bali but to be able to make a descent living on the island seems a far-fetched dream.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Hey, don't pick on Kansas. Ask my son-in-law that was born and raised in Pemuteran area but has been in Kansas for last 6 years. At least he is able to have a job that pays enough (barely) to support his family in Kansas. He learned the hard way that not all "westerners" were rich when he met and married my daughter. He certainly didn't marry a trust-fund baby like all the expats in Bali seem to be. He would love to return to Bali but to be able to make a descent living on the island seems a far-fetched dream.

hahaha you're right Markit, you do seem to piss a lot of people off! Even I thought you'd be safe on the Kansas call ;) gotta laugh

As for us all being trust fund babies.......capek dehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja

Hey bjbjrowe, I didn't read that post as picking on Kansas, but he certainly was picking on Alabama. Also I have never had a trust fund or a free ride in my life coming from a working class family. I worked hard [same as your son in law is doing now] to try to achieve my dream.