JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
...not the fastest...

Hi JohnDean

You've got me drooling here (in Sanur).
Your connection may not be "the fastest", but it runs rings around mine (I'm jealous).

Which brings me to the obvious questions: how much does it cost to instal the tower/antenna, how much per month and reliability?

GMedia's website doesn't state their coverage areas, costs, etc (and their online help support was offline).

:icon_evil:

Last edited:
2mbps

Hey Steelersfan

Not sure if you are still following this thread, and whether you moved here (lots talk it few do it) but I work via Skype in entertainment, and need a seamless experience.

After a lot of research, am on GlobalXtreme 2MBPS (that is considered very fast here) with a SOHO connection (Small Office Home Office) which is very important, as it means you have a dedicated single user connection, rather than sharing, so your PING rate is always small and that translates into extremely stable 2MBPS vs a shared connection which means whatever your speed, it will fluctuate greatly.

Total Cost:
3,000,000 (or $330 US) install
2,500,000 (or $275) a month.
This is the harsh reality of Bali. Internet is way way more expensive and slower than in first world countries.

My uptime (so far knock on wood) has been 100% and if I have a problem, it comes with a dedicated tech guy who will come to the house same day or latest next day. You can only get this in South Bali, and I think I am at the edge of availability in Pererenan (west of Kuta about 10K).

Another option is Bali's brand new fiber line, running the main road (Jalan Canggu) and into Canggu as well as Seminyak (and I'd guess Kuta). If it runs your street, you can get it, but you'll pay $100 per 100 meters from the road to your house, and remember, this is Indonesia, early adopters be ware. I decided to wait on the fiber line as currently, your down times will run a week or more, and knowing Bali's ability to integrate new tech, you'll have plenty of down time. (and for me to get it in Pererenan, it will cost me about $1100+ in fiber line, plus a payment to the local ban jar as the road I am on is not yet "approved.")

That's about it. Hope it helps. -AB

Hi JohnDean

Your connection may not be "the fastest", but it runs rings around mine (I'm jealous).

Which brings me to the obvious questions: how much does it cost to instal the tower/antenna, how much per month and reliability?

GMedia's website doesn't state their coverage areas, costs, etc (and their online help support was offline).

I have a fiber line (installed by Lintasarta and now managed by Gmedia), I have 2 towers pointing to two different relays for redundancy on different routing then the fiber. Only use the wireless if issues with FO or the wife has 6+ friends over all individually watching youtube. Both wireless are 6MB up/down and the fiber is 6MB up/down. Cost has gone down year-to-year, started at 40mil back in 2008 with Lintasarta and lowered to 28mil/month with Gmedia. I'm negotiating a new contract this month, will let you know the results. I do provide free access via a separate fiber line installed by a 3rd a party to a villa complex across the street, so anyone around JL Nakula in Seminyak let me know.

I will be looking into Global Xtreme Monday, 2MB for $300 if true, with 1:1 with 99% SLA - it's sounds like a deal!

Blueline, Biznet both could not provide nor guarantee the speeds they were selling back in 2010, anyone using either of these companies now?

GlobalXtreme Soho appears not to be 1:1

Hey Steelersfan

Not sure if you are still following this thread, and whether you moved here (lots talk it few do it) but I work via Skype in entertainment, and need a seamless experience.

After a lot of research, am on GlobalXtreme 2MBPS (that is considered very fast here) with a SOHO connection (Small Office Home Office) which is very important, as it means you have a dedicated single user connection, rather than sharing, so your PING rate is always small and that translates into extremely stable 2MBPS vs a shared connection which means whatever your speed, it will fluctuate greatly.

Total Cost:
3,000,000 (or $330 US) install
2,500,000 (or $275) a month.
This is the harsh reality of Bali. Internet is way way more expensive and slower than in first world countries.

My uptime (so far knock on wood) has been 100% and if I have a problem, it comes with a dedicated tech guy who will come to the house same day or latest next day. You can only get this in South Bali, and I think I am at the edge of availability in Pererenan (west of Kuta about 10K).

Another option is Bali's brand new fiber line, running the main road (Jalan Canggu) and into Canggu as well as Seminyak (and I'd guess Kuta). If it runs your street, you can get it, but you'll pay $100 per 100 meters from the road to your house, and remember, this is Indonesia, early adopters be ware. I decided to wait on the fiber line as currently, your down times will run a week or more, and knowing Bali's ability to integrate new tech, you'll have plenty of down time. (and for me to get it in Pererenan, it will cost me about $1100+ in fiber line, plus a payment to the local ban jar as the road I am on is not yet "approved.")

That's about it. Hope it helps. -AB

Hi andrewbaker77,

I contacted GlobalXtreme this morning. The service for SOHO is not 1:1 but bandwidth "up to" 2MB and it is a shared connection. Even on the GlobalXtreme website it is articulated "up to" Services which is code for shared.

The cost quoted on the phone for dedicated wireless (1:1) 2MB up/down & quoted on the attached flyer delivered to the villa today shows (attachment below) dedicated 1:1 2MB up/down is 16 million IDR. GlobalXtreme does not have a license to provide end-users any faster speeds then the 2MB.

I'm confused and would love to know how you managed to get a 1:1 Dedicated 2MB up/down for 2.5mil IDR from GlobalXtreme? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• GlobalXtremec.jpg
    GlobalXtremec.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 71

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
This emphasis on so-called "1:1 dedicated" link makes me smile. It's basically meaningless, and I don't know what the 1:1 stands for.

The whole Internet is a network of shared links. There is never a guaranteed throughput rate and almost never dedicated connections. There usually is an upper limit on the speed of one hop in the connection - bu there are many hops.

So my laptop connects to a wireless router at "up tp" 54 Mbs (note that is megabits/sec - not megabytes). Then this wireless router connects to a nearby Telkomsel tower at "up to" 7 Mbs. But if I am downloading a podcast from the ABC in Australia - the connection consists of about 30 hops. From the nearby Telkomsel tower, there are several hops in the Telkomsel backbone network until you get to one of their international gateways. Then there are several hops in Singapore, several in Los Angeles, Several in New Zealand, and a few more in Australia until we reach abc.net.au. Everything, other than that first hop into Telkomsel, is shared.

A speedtest tells me I get about 2 or 3 Mbs download speed from Jakarta - so while my local link (which is dedicated) is up to 7 Mbs, the Telkomsel backbone network to Jakarta can usually only manage 2 or 3. My podcast software tells me that a download from the ABC is rarely faster than about 1 Mbs, and at the same time other podcasts may be arriving and the total download speed of them all can be close to 3 Mbs

The bottom line is that in my case the speed of the dedicated link into the ISP is fast but is rarely supported by the rest of the network. On the other hand, when your ISP gives you a slow local link - like 0.5 Mbs or 1 Mbs, then that could be the slowest hop that throttles you whole experience.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
@so basically (in my language) it's paying for a ferrari that can do 350kmph, but while driving actually never ever reaching that speed? :unconscious:

Well, what RonB said sounds to me like paying for a Ferrari and then driving it only on the back roads of Bali. It'll never reach its potential.

To re-state something I said a few months back, we are still happy with our Blueline connection. It is still giving us around 1Mb as it stated in the "up to 1Mb" literature and, importantly, we aren't getting connection drop outs. They were daily occurrence, sometimes many times a day with Telkomsel.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
ADSL Connections

@ronb
This emphasis on so-called "1:1 dedicated" link makes me smile. It's basically meaningless, and I don't know what the 1:1 stands for...The bottom line is that in my case the speed of the dedicated link into the ISP is fast but is rarely supported by the rest of the network.
I understand what you're saying, but IMHO it's not quite as "simple", (straightforward), as you think.

I hope that the following is of some interest, and doesn't give people a headache.

One of the biggest factors affecting your connection speed to the internet is a thing called "contention ratio", the total (maximum) number of other people you have to share your connection with. Most ISPs, in my experience, rarely tell you what it is.
For example, if it's 100:1, you share with 99 others, 50:1 share with 49 others, 1:1 share with nobody else. Of course, it gets a lot more complicated than that.

"Sharing" is one way of putting it, but more accurately, you're competing with other customers to get onto the service you're paying for, and there are different "flavours" (home user, business user, etc).
The different prices should reflect what contention ratio (and "speed") you're paying for.

On an ADSL connection, there are several steps involved before you actually reach the internet:

1) Telephone line
2) Connecting via that to the phone exchange
3) The exchange assigns you a "Point of Presence" (POP)
4) Your "presence" gets notified to your ISP
5) ISPs usually have another (larger) network that they pay for to get you on the actual internet.
6) Finally, you're connected to the internet proper.

Apart from the phone line, every other step in the process can, (and is), impacted by the contention ratios along the way. (The phone line needs to be in good condition and not too far away physically from the exchange.)

When your initial phone data goes to the exchange in the first place, it gets transferred to the exchange's network using "backhaul links". The size and type of connection you're shunted to depends on the size of the actual exchange, the number of other customers trying to reach it, how many others are already on it, etc. How much you're paying your ADSL telkom matters, too.

ISPs often provide a certain size of "backhaul", eg, 4 Mb.
4Mb/s = 4 * 1024 Kb = 4096 Kb/s
An ADSL line running at 512 Kb/s can supply 8 users at a contention ratio of 1:1 (meaning all 8 people are getting the same speed).
(4096 divided by 512 = 8)

There's lots more, but I think this is more than enough for the moment. Just keep in mind that what I've said so far refers to before you're on the internet.

I suggest those interested in more details search google for "contention ratio".

:indecisiveness:

meerkat

Nov 14, 2011
Ubud
willing to pay 800,000 a month if necessary for good internet.

for that budget Speedy ADSL unlimited is your best bet- you need to enquire if there are available phone lines for that service wherever you rent.
type of phone line is a potential bottleneck that you must have checked by Speedy installer-try Untung 081-139-7721-he's reliable and straightforward
there was a plan to upgrade cables (phone) Denpasar area was supposed to get the better cable upgrade first,although I'm not sure where after that
of course all the services get oversold so bandwidth becomes an issue everywhere in time-depends when the load times are and some days are worse
than others

yes old question…but "ageless" in that it's always relevant now:icon_wink:

Last edited:

JonasandJoan

Jun 4, 2011
Hi JohnDean

We mailed the head office since the Bali office email bounced (good first impression, not), and here's the answer we got:

Bandwith Dedicated
Guarantee
UP TO Ratio
Installation Cost
(one time)
Monthly Cost
128 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 1.000.000,-
256 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 2.000.000,-
384 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 3.000.000,-
512 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 4.000.000,-
768 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 5.000.000,-
Bandwith Dedicated
Guarantee
Ratio
Installation Cost
(one time)
Monthly Cost
1024 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp. 6,000,000
2048 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp. 11,000,000

Nowhere there I see the 5mb/s like JohnDean states that he has, and the prices are REALLY not very attractive.... 11jt for 2mbps... Yeah, I don't think so.... :livid:

JonasandJoan

Jun 4, 2011
We mailed the head office since the Bali office email bounced (good first impression, not), and here's the answer we got:

Bandwith Dedicated
Guarantee
UP TO Ratio
Installation Cost
(one time)
Monthly Cost
128 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 1.000.000,-
256 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 2.000.000,-
384 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 3.000.000,-
512 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 4.000.000,-
768 Kbps 3072 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp 5.000.000,-
Bandwith Dedicated
Guarantee
Ratio
Installation Cost
(one time)
Monthly Cost
1024 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp. 6,000,000
2048 Kbps 1:1 Rp. 2.000.000,- Rp. 11,000,000

Nowhere there I see the 5mb/s like JohnDean states that he has, and the prices are REALLY not very attractive.... 11jt for 2mbps... Yeah, I don't think so.... :livid:

And the Rp. 2.000.000 is the installation fee, the other amount is the monthly cost....

hans121

Feb 16, 2010
My experience:
Telkom Speedy is reliable and fast enough for skype calls.
2 mbps (~ 1 million RP) is good enough for decent video calls,
1 mbps (~700.000 RP) is still okay for video calls most of the time, but don't expect high qaulity.

Hardly ever goes down and if it does they fix it quickly (within a day or two, probably faster if you pay ;-).

just my experience, might be different in other areas.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I have Smartfren (CDMA USB Modem).

I pay Rp 150,000 per month (pulsa) - I have a 12 GB (!) quota - my speed is "up to" 12Mbps (which is unlikely although I have peaks of 2Mbps which is still pretty darn good).

The quality of the Smartfren connection highly depends on where you live and what the coverage or strength of signal is.

Very happy with this.

hotlazydaze

Jun 7, 2012
Smartfren USB dongle

I have Smartfren (CDMA USB Modem).

I pay Rp 150,000 per month (pulsa) - I have a 12 GB (!) quota - my speed is "up to" 12Mbps (which is unlikely although I have peaks of 2Mbps which is still pretty darn good).

The quality of the Smartfren connection highly depends on where you live and what the coverage or strength of signal is.

Very happy with this.

That sounds ideal. Can you let me know where you bought it from and how much the modem cost? Also, is it on a contract or pay as you go?

Thanks

Dkny888

May 4, 2011
I skype internationally regularly out of Seminyak, works pretty well.....I'd be cautious though if my livlihood depenended upon it!