Trish

Mar 18, 2013
Ubud
I doubt that there are any laws about black magic or cohabitation in the countries mentioned. Back to the Middle Ages indeed!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
For Fecks Sake - who voted for these idiots?

Maybe we could get an English witch to cast a spell on them to wake, the feck up!

These guys make American politicos look like Mensa candidates.

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
I doubt that there are any laws about black magic or cohabitation in the countries mentioned. Back to the Middle Ages indeed!

There are laws on cohabitation in Belgium. Cohabitation is living together without being married. One can draw up a contract (to enjoy the same fiscal advantages as married people and to allocate funds and goods in case of a break-up). Cohabitation is legally recognized in Belgium for men and women living together, but also for gay and lesbian couples. All these non-married couples may also adopt children.

Witchcraft and black magic is nowhere mentioned in any law.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
if witchcraft,voodoo,black magic, etcetc is considered to be an religion, then they are some laws applicable..
middle ages - witch hunt - catholic church, rings a bell...just change the middle ages to the present and catholic church into Islamic fanatics

Trish

Mar 18, 2013
Ubud
cohabitation in this instance I suspect has nothing to do with 'common law' relationships which are protected by legislation in most/many western countries but rather an even more punitive approach to stopping unmarried couples of any gender living together in Indonesia......

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
“Black magic is a part of witchcraft, which has existed everywhere, including in Europe, for a long time,” lawmaker Achmad Dimyati Natakusumah from the United Development Party (PPP) said on Friday.

Actually, Achmad is right, but that was in the Middle Ages.:icon_lol:

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
1928 A family of Hungarian peasants were acquitted of beating an old woman to death whom they thought was a witch. The court used as an excuse the argument that the family acted out of "irresistible compulsion."
1976 A poor woman in Germany was suspect of keeping dogs as familiars (devil's agents). Neighbors ostracized her, threw rocks at her, threatened to beat her to death, and finally burned down her house, badly burning her and killing all the animals.
1977 In France, a mob killed an old man suspected of sorcery.

" @ tintin Actually, Achmad is right, but that was in the Middle Ages." Back to the future?

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Cohabitation?
That probably means a side-trip to Nevada, I hear the Mormons have views on that, I hear the Sands @ Las Vegas does a good group rate & an even better one for groups of parliamentarians

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
The problem is that these 52 Indonesian members of parliament (http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...an-european-junket-study-black-magic-laws.htm) REALLY BELIEVE in black magic and that they will spend close to 700,000 US dollars on their trip to France, The Netherlands, Russia and the UK.

I assume that the Indonesian embassies in France, The Netherlands, Russia and the UK will have to take care of these Indonesian politicians, i.e. organizing appointments with local politicians, NGOs, etc.

I wonder how countries like Holland, the UK, and France will react to the sudden appearance of 52 Indonesian politicians who want to study the laws on witchcraft and black magic.

Indonesian members of parliament could have avoided spending 700,000 USD by surfing on the internet. It is very easy to find the non-existent laws on witchcraft of all the countries mentioned above.

In Africa, one third of the population believes in witchcraft and black magic, but the Indonesian politicians do not want to investigate Africa. It is much more interesting to enjoy a free trip to Europe where they and their wives can go shopping.

What a bunch of vampires, sucking the country dry with their expense accounts.

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
" @ tintin Actually, Achmad is right, but that was in the Middle Ages." Back to the future?

You mention rare occurrences of superstitious and backward European villagers. In Indonesia, the Al Qur'an readers, i.e. these members of parliament, really believe in black magic, djins, ghosts, curses and other medieval shit.

Thirty years ago, before I moved to the island of Bali, I lived in a house in West Java, in a suburb of the city of Bandung. I used their belief in black magic to my advantage. When a servant I had fired for theft didn't want to leave my house, I put some rice and a piece of paper with some Greek letters under his pillow - and also the tail of a dead rat. The next day he left my house, telling me that someone had put a curse on him.

It is very easy to use their beliefs in order to get something done....

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
By the way, it is easy to scare the shit out of Indonesians by pretending to know black magic.
Thirty years ago in Bandung (West Java) I put the tail of a dead rat and a piece of paper on which I had written in Latin Veni Vidi Vici under the pillow of my male servant, and he immediately left my house, believing that somebody had put a curse on him. Good riddance, because he was a stealing bastard.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
justinbali said:
You mention rare occurrences of superstitious and backward European villagers. In Indonesia, the Al Qur'an readers, i.e. these members of parliament, really believe in black magic, djins, ghosts, curses and other medieval shit.

You mean like christian religions belief in exorcism and possession etc. (catholics and orthodox etc).

Last edited by a moderator:

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013

YES. Catholics believe that a cracker biscuit krupuk becomes the body of Jesus and that wine becomes his blood. They also believe that a virgin gave birth to Jesus. Islam believes that their prophet traveled to Jerusalem on a flying horse called Bouraq.

Christians believe that Jesus was the son of God, but that he and God are the same person. More absurd is impossible. A guy who died on the cross, but knew that he would not die because he was God ?

And many people believe in praying to their God, the one who created microbes, viruses and earthquakes. And they thank him for that ? And adore him ? How stupid can one be ?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Last edited:

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
Give us a break - they are politicians being offered a junket. So, why oh why would you say REALLY BELIEVE? Very few politicians really believe anything.

I wonder how long you have been living in Indonesia. Most Indonesian politicians (and the people) believe in magic, white or black.

The third president of Indonesia Habibie even said on TV that his wife had written a verse from the Al Qur'an on a piece of paper that he put under his hat when he was sworn in, so that there wouldn't be any problems.

President Suharto never slept in the presidential palace in Jakarta because he was afraid of the ghost of his predecessor President Sukarno. Suharto preferred to sleep in his own villa in Jalan Cendana in Jakarta.

The current president never sleeps in the presidential palace because of the ghost of Sukarno, and I can go on and on about their superstitions.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Give us a break - they are politicians being offered a junket. So, why oh why would you say REALLY BELIEVE? Very few politicians really believe anything.

A perfect and succinct statement of the reality ronb!