calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I was skeptical of Diablo when I first saw it because it was brewed by Bali Hai which I think is awful. THey had a booth at the Kuta Karnival and one of my friends was working the booth so he supplied us with all of the free Diablos we could drink. I had no complaints. Of course I wouldn't rate it as a stellar beer but I thought it was decent for Bali for sure. Nice change from Bintang.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think it's till owned by Heineken. it (Bintang) uses the heineken star, but in the colors from amstel bier...wich is also dutch and owned by Heineken

Wikipedia describes it as a subsidiary of Heinekin. They also give some history.
Construction of the brewery began in Surabaya in 1929 during Dutch colonial rule of Indonesia.[2] In 1949, following Indonesian independence, the brewery was renamed 'Heineken's Indonesian Brewery Company'. In 1957 the Indonesian Government appropriated the brewery, and retained control for the next ten years. In 1967 Heineken resumed operations of the brewery, which was later renamed "Multi Bintang Indonesia".

See the full artlicle at Bintang Beer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zoyra

Jun 24, 2010
Bali
Stark wheat beer

Hi all !
I have had a new beer in Bali a few times at different restaurants, it's called Stark beer.
The beer is from North Bali from Lovina beach brewery.
There are one blond and one dark kind of beer.
I like this beer and would like to know if someone knows if it's possible to buy it from a supermarket ?
Best regards.

Andy

Hi Andy, just in case you are in Ubud area, you can get Stark Wheat Beer at Ubud Deli. Prost!

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
If you really want to experience angels pissing in your mouth.....go to the Czech Republic. They take pride in their product.
I really do not want anyone to piss in my mouth but I do like the expression. I might actually steal it and use it myself.

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
Since my post in February I have also tried the Stark beer. It is obviously made by someone who was involved with Storm. It is also a horrible drop.
I was in a hotel operated by a friend. The special of the day was buy 2 Stark beers for 80,000 and get the third free. I did not make it to the second or third bottle. In fact I did not make it to half way through the first bottle.
There were 8 males sitting at the table with me, they all laughed and all gave the same opinion of the beer. It was a unanimous thumbs down.

I believe Storm is an extract brewed beer (much like most peoples home brew) I might be wrong however. When I tried it last, it tasted thin and the hop flavours were subdued and all the beers are made with the same hop more or less, which I find quite strange. I might be wrong and it may indeed be all grain but I doubt it. All grain is how all "proper" beers are made. A good analogy to distinguish the difference is extract is more or less like instant coffee whereas all grain is more like Lavazza or lazumba coffee etc.

All grain gives the brewer total freedom to express his brewing skills and allows for far more creativity in the brewing process as well as providing the drinker with a superior product. Not saying you can't make a good beer with extrac, it's just simply not as good as all grain. Extract brewing is cheaper but none of the world class breweries use this method. In saying all this Bintang is an all grain brew ( Style: American light lager- sub style asian rice lager) and can sometimes be quite a good beer ( served draught within a 50km radius of the brewery) or if you like asian pilseners.

One thing not in Bintangs favour though is that bottles often sit on supermarket shelves for months on end and the bottles actually get skunked. To lesten the "skunkiness" the brewery uses chemical preservatives to extend shelf life - one of the contributors to giving the drinker a hangover. Personally I'm not a fan of the asian style lager rather I love my German style lagers which are full of the rich bready, doughy melanoiden character - see Paulaner, Hofbrau and the famous czech Pilsener Urquell. I also like hoppy Pale ales like Sierra nevada, Little creatures ( I know it brewed in Oz but it's a US Pale ale) as well as some of the great UK bitters like Fullers. None of those beers use preservatives as far as I know.
Stark is definitely not an extract brew and is quite a good representation of the style.

No idea, when you say you and your 8 mates gave it a thumbs down was it because you aren't a fan of wheat beers (Belgians, hefeweizens or even American wheats) or you just didn't like the beer itself? If so why not? lack of head retention, lack of banana clove esters or too much of those, overcarbed ( Wheats are genrally 3-3.5 vols)?

I'm not involved with Stark but I'd be interested to know your reason/s for disliking the beer as I love a good beer discussion.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
I believe Storm is an extract brewed beer (much like most peoples home brew) I might be wrong however. When I tried it last, it tasted thin and the hop flavours were subdued and all the beers are made with the same hop more or less, which I find quite strange
Storm is not an extract brewed beer. I have seen the brewery and the process. It's an unfiltered real ale.

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
Storm is not an extract brewed beer. I have seen the brewery and the process. It's an unfiltered real ale.

I wasn't sure if it was or not. The golden ale??has that real thin taste that I associate with extract brew. Where are they brewing it, I'd like to check it out one day?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I respect no.idea's views as I think he's tried many beers. But I have to say I like Storm Pale Ale - I haven't tried the other Storms or Stark. I would have described the flavour as a bit yeasty (which I like), but a reviewer on Pale Ale - Bali Storm Brewing Company - Denpasar, Indonesia - BeerAdvocate from 2008 thought it's aromas were citrus, floral and earthy. So some people have a way with words.

While I enjoy it, I don't think it's worth almost double the price of Bintang. And then, Kudah Putih is even cheaper and is pretty good. I think it comes from the same brewery as Anker.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
No idea, when you say you and your 8 mates gave it a thumbs down was it because you aren't a fan of wheat beers (Belgians, hefeweizens or even American wheats) or you just didn't like the beer itself? If so why not? lack of head retention, lack of banana clove esters or too much of those, overcarbed ( Wheats are generally 3-3.5 vols)?
I'm not involved with Stark but I'd be interested to know your reason/s for disliking the beer as I love a good beer discussion.
Sadly my/our opinion of the beer did not get the chance to get into the flavours and and various brewing processes. It smells like perfume. When the beer is still 500 of 600 millimetres away it gives off this sweet perfume odour that is somewhat reminiscent of overdressed young maidens of the evening.

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
Compared to Sierra Nevada or Little Creatures Pale Ale, Storm's pale ale is a long way off the mark I think. This is all subjective though and I guess much like wine there is no right or wrong ( unless the beer is stale or is a Diacetyl bomb). Although I can't work out why Storm would try to brew a UK style Pale Ale in the tropics when a US style would be much more appealing. I remember talking to a restaurant owner in Sindhu that said he used to sell it but stopped because most of the customers said it was either cloyingly sweet and thin which I agree with. I don't get any of the citrusy flavours from it rather a herbal grassy taste synonmous with styrian goldings that lasts for the first sip and then dissipates quickly. I'd also prefer it more if they filtered out their primary yeast and then secondary ferment in the bottle with a lager yeast and control the amount in the bottle a little better so there is only a fine dusting left in the bottom. I don't mind a bit of yeast in a bottle of Saison but find the amount in a storm Pale Ale to be out of place. Again, these are my own opinions and based on my tastes.

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
Sadly my/our opinion of the beer did not get the chance to get into the flavours and and various brewing processes. It smells like perfume. When the beer is still 500 of 600 millimetres away it gives off this sweet perfume odour that is somewhat reminiscent of overdressed young maidens of the evening.

Sometimes that can be a good thing.:icon_twisted:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Last evening I was out with some friends who run a very popular micro brewery near Perth in Western Australia. I mentioned the Storm and Stark beers. They tried the Storm Pale Ale and had very positive comments to make about it.
They also mentioned that my taste buds are possibly located a tad lower than my palate.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Forget about Stark/Storm and head over to the Plumbers Arms on Jl Semer in Kerobokan.
He sells draft Kilkenny Irish beer...I had 4 pints on Saturday and it went down so well...I might try again tonight.
Nigel is also going to introduce it at his Beach Bar at the end of Echo beach.