Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
First, I want to say hello to all of you and commend you on your patience with all of the questions that have been asked over and over. I have read and reread most of your posts with amusement and I have taken in a lot of very useful information.

I have visited Bali a few times over the last few years and decided to put all of my belongings into storage and come to live on Bali for 2 or 3 months. I am very aware that it will be a huge change for me as it has been for almost all of you. So I want to take it slowly. I currently live on Kauai in Hawaii, one of the least populated islands in the chain. It is called the "Garden Island", and also the spot on the globe with the most rainfall, a small area way up in mountains, which creates almost constant waterfalls.

My problem is that I have been spoiled by very comfortable cool ocean breezes . . . and well it's HOT over there. But, as all of you well know there are locations in the higher elevations that are MUCH cooler. Many of the areas have very regular rainfall which I enjoy up to a certain point, and are heavily used for farming.

So back to my question, what areas would you each suggest that would have a pleasant climate? That's the easy part . . . that also has electricity and access to fairly good water, not for drinking of course, is relatively close to a place that I can obtain my basic needs, and not too far off a paved road, I'm not fond of donkeys. Most locations are fairly close, within 90 min., to larger cities which I would not travel to very often, maybe once every week or or two.

It would be great if the area had views of rice fields or something similar, and land that could be obtained and eventually built on, or perhaps land with an existing homes that might be for sale from time to time. So now it's up to you guys!! Your suggestions please.

Thank you again for your valuable guidance in the past and in the future.

Kauaiguy

PS I have learned that some of you seem to take joy in entering into . . . well "pissing" contests, please restrain yourself at least for a while.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
When were you planning to come to Bali? It is the end of the rainy season now. It starts again around December and temperatures are a little lower.

If you like to be in an area with lots of other tourists and expats, maybe Ubud. Bedugul is perhaps another option.

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
When were you planning to come to Bali? It is the end of the rainy season now. It starts again around December and temperatures are a little lower.

If you like to be in an area with lots of other tourists and expats, maybe Ubud. Bedugul is perhaps another option.

Spicyayam, thank you for your interest and responding to my post. I was just on Bali from about the 15th of February until March 5th. I've visited Ubud each time I have been to Bali and I am sure that I have driven through Bedugul. Ubud seemed a little warm to me but judging form the location of Bedugal it looks as though it should be cooler. I also think that Ubud had a little too many tourists, for my taste. Is Bedugul a little more off the beaten path? I am hoping to return Bali in May or June.
Could you elaborate a little about Bedugul?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't know Bedugul well at all. It's the kind of place I just stop for lunch on the way through or to go to the market. The market is great with lots of fresh produce. It seems to be popular with tourists, but most just pass through there. There does seem to be more development though now.

There are also a couple of lakes around there which I am sure would be a beautiful place to live. Of the few places I have eaten there, the food has been great. Lately when I pass through there, it is pretty much raining all of the time. There is also a golf course if you are into golf and a botanical garden.

You can find some good info on Bedugul on the wikitravel page. There's an Aussie sports bar there "Cracker's Bar" which might be a good place to visit for some first hand information on living in the area. I haven't been there but there is some info on the forum about the place.

Also it's not so far from Singaraja to the north. I think with accommodation though, you might only find either really cheap local houses or expensive villa style houses. Although I am not completely sure about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne

PS I have learned that some of you seem to take joy in entering into . . . well "pissing" contests, please restrain yourself at least for a while.

This statement really bug me. What do you mean by this, I'm sorry but I don't get what do you mean by pissing contest.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Lived a while in Ubud in the rainy season last year and I agree the daytime temps can be very pleasant I still found it mostly damned hot with very little of the breeze that you get on the coast and the other problem (for me anyway) was the damned mozzys. They seem to be a particularly virulent breed and raised horrible lumps with weeping blisters (sorry) that itched for weeks.

Didn't live in the mountains but having travelled thru often enough the problem there is rain and fog and believe it or not at night it can get damned cold up there with the fog.

Coolest place on the island is inside the villa with the AC on and a cold beer:icon_wink:

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
I don't know Bedugul well at all. It's the kind of place I just stop for lunch on the way through or to go to the market. The market is great with lots of fresh produce. It seems to be popular with tourists, but most just pass through there. There does seem to be more development though now.

There are also a couple of lakes around there which I am sure would be a beautiful place to live. Of the few places I have eaten there, the food has been great. Lately when I pass through there, it is pretty much raining all of the time. There is also a golf course if you are into golf and a botanical garden.

You can find some good info on Bedugul on the wikitravel page. There's an Aussie sports bar there "Cracker's Bar" which might be a good place to visit for some first hand information on living in the area. I haven't been there but there is some info on the forum about the place.

Also it's not so far from Singaraja to the north. I think with accommodation though, you might only find either really cheap local houses or expensive villa style houses. Although I am not completely sure about that.

Thank you for the added information, I will definitely look into Bedugul!

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
This statement really bug me. What do you mean by this, I'm sorry but I don't get what do you mean by pissing contest.

Jesse, the very last thing I was trying to do was to bug anyone. Perhaps it was that I have read so many of the recent and older posts in a short time that some things stuck out in my mind. This site is a credit to ALL involved, administration and every poster. A fantastic source for anyone with ANY interest in Bali.

I think the thing most evident to me is that a few of the senior members have opinions and are willing to state them but unwilling to "listen" to other views. Most retorts are made in a friendly, joking way discussion, but a few seem to border on being . . . unBali like.

Please excuse my words, because I have only respect for those who take their time to post on this site.

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
Lived a while in Ubud in the rainy season last year and I agree the daytime temps can be very pleasant I still found it mostly damned hot with very little of the breeze that you get on the coast and the other problem (for me anyway) was the damned mozzys. They seem to be a particularly virulent breed and raised horrible lumps with weeping blisters (sorry) that itched for weeks.

Didn't live in the mountains but having travelled thru often enough the problem there is rain and fog and believe it or not at night it can get damned cold up there with the fog.

Markit, I have read all of your posts I have come across, and your blog concerning building a "home", "villa", and they have been MOST useful to me.

Ah, yes the damned mozzys, even here on Kauai I was exploring near a river and discovered a few VERY nice homes by one of the rivers. I noticed that they all had enclosed lanais, patios, which is unusual for the islands, usually everything is very open to the outdoors. After a few minutes I discovered the reason, I was bit all to hell. I have been keeping the mozzy issue as a very large concern, rice paddys and all.

Yes, inside with the A/C on and of course with a beer in hand is the best way to stay cool. As I mentioned before I am spoiled, my house has no heater or A/C only ceiling fans which I don't use 90% of the time, I am located in a valley that has constant breezes, average temperature is about 78 degrees. I look forward to "picking" your brain on a regular basis, with hopefully some questions that haven't been asked before.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah same problem in Florida with the added pleasure of getting eaten by a crocodile/alligator (never know which is which and cant be assed to look it up:icon_rolleyes:) when presented with a beautiful, cool, inviting lake to jump into... None of those here on Bali

If you've read all the BS that I've written here then you are probably in need of some serious Bintang therapy so drop in when you're around for the first treatment.

Sully

Feb 3, 2010
Oz

Jesse

I think he means previously. If you read some of the posts in the archives you would certainly know what he meant.

Sully

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010

Hi Jesse

I think its also a language thing.

If English was your first language then you'd get it completely

Its colloquial slang and it perfectly describes what sometimes happens on this and many other forums

Regards
N

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
Hi Jesse

I think its also a language thing.

If English was your first language then you'd get it completely

Its colloquial slang and it perfectly describes what sometimes happens on this and many other forums

Regards
N

Sully and Blondie,

Thanks for coming to my defense! Sometimes a few members get a little to zealous in defending their point of view. Do either of you happen to have any knowledge concerning my original post?

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
Sully and Blondie,

Thanks for coming to my defense! Sometimes a few members get a little to zealous in defending their point of view. Do either of you happen to have any knowledge concerning my original post?

Hi Kauaiguy

Im probably not the one to ask about the best place to live in Bali.

I dont believe that the climate you're looking for is here (In my opinion, its bloody hot all year round no matter where you are.... its pure geography) and I think you already live in the best place on earth

Kauaii!

I'd love to live somewhere around Hanalei Bay... its simply gorgeous there and the climate in Hawaii with its consistency in the 70's most year round is something you just wont find in Bali. Again its pure geography, its where the Hawaiian Islands are positioned geographically that blesses them with such superb weather

I lived in Hawaii Kai (Oahu) for a while (was married to guy from Hawaii) and the climate is incredible. I loved that burst of rain at about 4.20pm that would last for 15 minutes and cleanse the air then everything would go back to normal.

I never bothered to get a green card in 12 years of marriage and I didnt want one as we lived in Australia, but now I regret that as I'd love to move to Kauaii. (Sigh)

Regards
N

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
Yeah same problem in Florida with the added pleasure of getting eaten by a crocodile/alligator (never know which is which and cant be assed to look it up:icon_rolleyes:) when presented with a beautiful, cool, inviting lake to jump into... None of those here on Bali

If you've read all the BS that I've written here then you are probably in need of some serious Bintang therapy so drop in when you're around for the first treatment.

I have a feeling that when a "big lizard" is eating you, you probably don't care if they get the right species for the newspaper the next day. Thank you for the invitation, I will definitely take you up on your offer.

I actually have another question concerning building a villa, I have read your posts and your website, you seem to state that building costs go for anywhere from $30. a square foot and up and perhaps WAY up depending on your taste. When I was in Bali last I saw a few minimalist villas that were basically concrete or block walls on three sides and one side glass windows and/or doors for all the bedrooms and a combination living room, dining room and kitchen in one large room completely open on to the backyard. Each of the bedrooms had a outside bathroom attached to it across from the glass side and that bathroom could be closed off to allow for air conditioning to cool each bedroom individually. Very simple finishing with concrete floors and counters, and the type of block that you are using for the walls in your villa only not plastered or anything on the inside. In your opinion could that type of structure be make for less money per square foot?

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
Hi Kauaiguy

Im probably not the one to ask about the best place to live in Bali.

I dont believe that the climate you're looking for is here (In my opinion, its bloody hot all year round no matter where you are.... its pure geography) and I think you already live in the best place on earth

Kauaii!

I'd love to live somewhere around Hanalei Bay... its simply gorgeous there and the climate in Hawaii with its consistency in the 70's most year round is something you just wont find in Bali. Again its pure geography, its where the Hawaiian Islands are positioned geographically that blesses them with such superb weather

I lived in Hawaii Kai (Oahu) for a while (was married to guy from Hawaii) and the climate is incredible. I loved that burst of rain at about 4.20pm that would last for 15 minutes and cleanse the air then everything would go back to normal.

I never bothered to get a green card in 12 years of marriage and I didnt want one as we lived in Australia, but now I regret that as I'd love to move to Kauaii. (Sigh)
Regards
N

Blondie, Yes Kauai if absolutely fantastic ... except for the fact that most of the residents have to work THREE jobs to make ends meet. And to retire there 1 million is not nearly enough. I agree about the weather, but I have gone up in a para glider with an engine around some of the mountains and it gets damn cold even with a flight suit on. I sure you know that Maui has a non active volcano that is covered all year round with snow.

On my last trip to Bali I went to Lovina, really hot, at least for me, and we passed through mountainous areas where the weather was very pleasant, I think very few people live there because of it's remoteness. But, I would rather travel a little bit farther than have to deal with the heat. Just my preference, but probably not everyone's. A big ALOHA. PS Hanalei IS wonderful, remember that is where Puff the magic dragon is from. But SOOO expensive.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That's a good question and I'm honestly not sure of the answer. Cement blocks are between 1200/1300 each, not much room for bargaining there.

Same with cement 51,000/bag (50kg).

You could use coconut wood but even that aint so cheap and it would get eaten in a year or max 2 so not a good choice either way.

You will need a roof that needs tiles - local cost about 1300 each but break if you look at them hard. Javanese ones will run you anywhere from 2500 to 9000 each but can handle the occasional coconut landing on them.

Electrics will be the same - do you really want to use cheap wire? Anyway now days PLN come and check the wire and will only OK (to my knowledge) wiring done with high standard wiring such as FOCUS or Supreme makes - no savings there.

If you want to live cheap on Bali - buy a locally build house (after very, very careful examination) and redo it to a higher standard - but don't be surprised what it costs in the end:icon_rolleyes:

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Kauaiguy, as to a possible location for you I am not knowledgeable enough to answer your question as well as many others on this forum but I would also suggest Bedugul or somewhere south of Bedugul but north of Ubud. Bedugul is quite beautiful, very popular and crowded with Balinese and tourists during any holiday season, and unlike much of Bali it is multi-religious. I have a photo of a Hindu temple juxtaposed with a Muslim mosque. Traffic is heavy and slow-moving during holiday times around Bedugul. It is green and quite cool. I know you said you don't mind isolation but I would find Bedugul too lacking in supplies and groceries for me.

You may be able to find a village you like north of Ubud that is cool enough for you. I'm assuming you don't mind the heat too much since you're considering living on the equator.