Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
That's a good question and I'm honestly not sure of the answer. Cement blocks are between 1200/1300 each, not much room for bargaining there.

Same with cement 51,000/bag (50kg).

You could use coconut wood but even that aint so cheap and it would get eaten in a year or max 2 so not a good choice either way.

You will need a roof that needs tiles - local cost about 1300 each but break if you look at them hard. Javanese ones will run you anywhere from 2500 to 9000 each but can handle the occasional coconut landing on them.

Electrics will be the same - do you really want to use cheap wire? Anyway now days PLN come and check the wire and will only OK (to my knowledge) wiring done with high standard wiring such as FOCUS or Supreme makes - no savings there.

If you want to live cheap on Bali - buy a locally build house (after very, very careful examination) and redo it to a higher standard - but don't be surprised what it costs in the end:icon_rolleyes:
Markit,

I guess I might be splitting hairs, I was not so much looking for cheap but inexpensive. I still want quality but without all the bells and whistles. Concrete finishes instead of marble, simple design with quality but plain appearance. I would not want to skimp on electrical or plumbing, but I do not need expensive bathroom fixtures or finish materials. All good quality but inexpensive materials.

Perhaps it is not possible to save much in building costs by cutting out the " bells and whistles ", I guess that was what I was asking. If you can build for X $ per square meter, could you build with quality but without expensive finishing and reduce the cost by 10%, 20%, 30%? Many of the features you have added to your villa are above and beyond, very desirable but added expense, the fish pond the finish designs in the pool the plaster finish on the interior walls, etc.

If the difference only comes out to 10 or 15% lower, I don't consider that a significant amount but if it was 20% or more it might be worth considering. To equate it to ordering a new car, you would consider air conditioning a necessity, but leather interior, a sports package, fancy wheels, 6 way adjustable seats are really what I would consider " bells and whistles".

By the way your villa is beautiful, when is all said and done I would probably opt for something similar but much smaller, I have no wives or ex wives living with me and my kids now have kids of there own. Although I have read with great interest about the wonderful and beautiful Bali ladies, on this site as well as many others, my ex had over 300 pairs of shoes when we divorced!

I am hoping for a much more simple and meaningful life.

Olsig

Mar 14, 2010
Candidasa
Hey,

Kauaiguy.
Zes it is cheaper her to build something - whatever, a villa or wooden house. But idnt expect that anything is working byself and be aware for someone how ask for the double or more price .... Be carefull with everything what you do and you will have fun in the end. But be sure, the way to the end will be coming hard :)
Its another kind of living and workinge here ...... but lovely !!!!!
Good luck !!!!

Sully

Feb 3, 2010
Oz
Sully and Blondie,

Thanks for coming to my defense! Sometimes a few members get a little to zealous in defending their point of view. Do either of you happen to have any knowledge concerning my original post?

Kauaiguy

My opinion would be Bedugal. That area is beautiful. If I was to retire in Bali that is where I would go.

Good luck.

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
Kauaiguy

My opinion would be Bedugal. That area is beautiful. If I was to retire in Bali that is where I would go.

Good luck.

Thanks, Sully! I think that my search will center around the Bedugul area, I've been to the south and north and east, and passed through Bedugul on my way from south to north. And, found the weather quite pleasant. Thanks for sharing your opinion!!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Markit,
Perhaps it is not possible to save much in building costs by cutting out the " bells and whistles ", I guess that was what I was asking. If you can build for X $ per square meter, could you build with quality but without expensive finishing and reduce the cost by 10%, 20%, 30%? Many of the features you have added to your villa are above and beyond, very desirable but added expense, the fish pond the finish designs in the pool the plaster finish on the interior walls, etc.

"my ex had over 300 pairs of shoes when we divorced!"

You aren't Ferdinand Marcos by any chance?:icon_biggrin:

To try and answer your question: bare concrete costs what the concrete cost - duhh, I know. To improve on that a little - to cover it in gypsum cost 55,000 sq/mtr, for pebble dash (don't know what it's called, but when you spray a textured plaster mixture on) cost 85,000 sq/mtr, to cover it in a natural stone costs 75 - 110 sq/mtr + application cost, in marble 175 - 220 sq/mtr + application costs. The choice for using stone becomes a bit clearer then, don't you think?

When you build anywhere there are more considerations than just initial cost, or there should be ...how can I live in a concrete box? Can I sell it again when I'm ready to move on? Can I improve it myself over time? etc. Simply put, I looked at the economics of the situation and, at that time, went for the middle way - not massive luxury but sturdy (earthquake proof) stability - that cost the money- the fish pond was purely to see what my guys where up to - building wise. After they managed that I let them have at the pig pool. Remember that personnel cost are negligible here. You can throw a lot of people at something for very little cost:icon_wink:

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
You aren't Ferdinand Marcos by any chance?:icon_biggrin:

To try and answer your question: bare concrete costs what the concrete cost - duhh, I know. To improve on that a little - to cover it in gypsum cost 55,000 sq/mtr, for pebble dash (don't know what it's called, but when you spray a textured plaster mixture on) cost 85,000 sq/mtr, to cover it in a natural stone costs 75 - 110 sq/mtr + application cost, in marble 175 - 220 sq/mtr + application costs. The choice for using stone becomes a bit clearer then, don't you think?

When you build anywhere there are more considerations than just initial cost, or there should be ...how can I live in a concrete box? Can I sell it again when I'm ready to move on? Can I improve it myself over time? etc. Simply put, I looked at the economics of the situation and, at that time, went for the middle way - not massive luxury but sturdy (earthquake proof) stability - that cost the money- the fish pond was purely to see what my guys where up to - building wise. After they managed that I let them have at the pig pool. Remember that personnel cost are negligible here. You can throw a lot of people at something for very little cost:icon_wink:

Your points are well taken, there are many things to consider when approaching a project like this, and you have pointed out some of the most important ones. I guess right now I am on a "fact finding" mission. Your experience is invaluable, not only have you learned a lot about construction in Bali . . . but you have documented it all. I guess simply put construction headaches are about the same as in the US, you need to have a VERY hands on involvement with every aspect of the build.

The question of resale value is very difficult to estimate, much depends on when you are going to resell the villa. If you built it with the intent of turning around and selling is, that is a pretty straight forward proposition. But, if you are planning to occupy it for a number of years, so many things come into play. I think your approach towards the cost and quality aspects makes sense, at least to me. And your villa is and will be beautiful when you are done!!!