I gotta say as usual the advertisement does not inspire much confidence does it? I will probably go along anyway and do my best to support them (drink lashings of Bintang at extortionate prices).

So it probably won't matter if there's a race on or not as I tend to find drunken people to keep me company regardless of the occasion. Birds of a feather....

Well, Markit, did you get run over by one of the jukungs, or was it too many bintangs?:concern:

Damn those moving datelines again.

Today is someone elses tomorrow and that other guys yesterday.

I'll let you know about it Tin.

Why don't you join me?

My dear Markit, I really wish I could join you, but I can't, being stuck in Boston. So, I, and the rest of the unluckies, will rely on you for a nice blow-by-blow, or as they say in Bali, langkah demi langkah.:icon_cool:

Kuta Karnival Oct 10-14

Kuta Karnival X will be held from October 10 to 14, 2012, and is an excellent community event of artistic creativity. The event was started in 2003 to help Bali tourism revive after the first Bali Bomb and still has the same format as years gone by.

“Today, tourism is in a very good condition. In addition to special promotions, the event is also a platform for creativity and learning,” said Made Supatra Karang, one of the organisers of Kuta Karnival on Wednesday.
“As in the past, there are new emerging designers featured in this event who will be blessed to become famous,” he said.

The event has always been centred on Kuta Beach for the past ten years and has also been a great platform for young musicians on the island. At the first event in 2003, The Beat Rock Fest had approximately 14 bands playing from 6pm till late featuring some great talent in front of a crowd of over 5000 people.

“There have been 400 bands that have requested to perform at this event, in addition to many artists, designers, and other sports community figures who have the same passion,” he said.

Meanwhile, the General Manager of Grand Istana Rama Hotel, Andi Ananto said the reason for organising the event was to strengthen tourism in Bali.

Not only in the short term, but with consistency, the implementation of this event will reinforce the impression of travel in Bali being safe and comfortable.

Kuta Karnival on next week | The Beat Magazine

It was fun but a boat race is really only fun to those in the boats as most of the action takes place where nobody can see it.

Markit

So, you don't have a boat (sorry, a jukung), big deal, can't you swim?:icon_e_confused: Anyway, thanks for the nice pics, I felt a little salty sea breeze coming out of my computer monitor. :frog:

Just in case it was missed, there will be 3 days of festivities on the beach, in Kalibukbuk, October 20-22, to promote the area.

Also, October 21, at The Melting Pot Gameroom Pub, Ubud, there will be The Texas Chili Cook-off, starting from mid-day until the final judging round beginning at around 5:00 pm.

And (from the Jakarta Post), October 19 -21, the 2nd Annual Batur Lake Festival.

Last edited:
Tin you are a wonder - sitting in cold, damp, old Boston you know what's what here in the Island of the Dogs/Gods.

I am planning to go by both of them Kalibukbuk on the Saturday with hopefully a drunken evening in Lovina and then on the following day a recuperative afternoon slurfing back Texas Chilli in Ubud. Pictures to follow if you are interested?

Just in case it was missed, there will be 3 days of festivities on the beach, in Kalibukbuk, October 20-22, to promote the area....
From Balidiscovery.com

Three days of activities centered on Kalibukbuk Beach in North Bali will mark the Lovina Festival to be held October 20 – 22, 2012.

While detailed information is hard to come by, it’s clear that numerous dance presentations and a handcraft exhibition will form part of the fun.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

• Handicraft exhibition on Kalibukbuk Beach from 10 am onwards
  • Opening ceremony 5 pm on the main beach at Kalibukbuk including a Baleganjur and Gebogan parade
  • Gong Kebyar performing the Ki Barak Panji Skti dance will also be presented.
  • Dinner vouchers will be given to tourist for free.
Sunday, October 21, 2012

• Bull racing at the Kaliasem village on the field on the main road in Lovina at 3:30 pm.
  • Lovina Beach Art performance of the Joged Mebarung at 6:30 pm
  • Shadow puppet show on the beach at 9:00 pm
Monday, October 22, 2012

• Lovina Beach Art performance Megenjekan at 11:00 am
  • Closing ceremony on Lovina Beach to including Gong Kebyar performance at 5:00 pm
  • Art performance of Sanghyang Memedi at 7:30 pm

Bali News: Bali’s Beach Party of the North

Here is another nice ceremony: the Pelebon (Royal cremation) of Ida Ayu Kompyang Sutarti Oka, which will take place at Puri Bongkasa (near Ubud), October 22. It will be a BIG event. The Royal Families from Ubud, Mengwi will be in attendance, and many other dignitaries.

Tintin, are you sure about this? last Saturday I met the head of the school in Bongkasa (SD2) and told me he never heard about a cremation ceremony on 22 and the funny thing he said he lives next to the Puri Bongkasa!!!!

Sorry, begonia, I made a mistake. :black_eyed: I hope you did not buy a new kebaya for this non-event.

To make amend, I propose you go, November 1 -3, to some of the Gong Kebyar performances (and others) to be held at the Tanah Lot "3 Days Event 2012."

Last edited:
The Balinale Film Festival 22-28 Oct 2012

Senior actress Christine Hakim and the co-founder of the Balinale International Film Festival, Deborah Gabinetti, shed more light on the forthcoming film festival at a press conference in Jakarta, this week.

In the absence of an international film festival in Indonesia, the Balinale has become the leading film event in the country. Held for the 6th year, the Balinale 2012 will be on from 22 to 28 October 2012 at the new Beachwalk cinema on Kuta beach, Bali.

For the opening film, the festival is featuring the latest movie by director Salman Aristo, Jakarta Heart. Like the previous film from Salman, Jakarta Maghrib, the film consists of six short stories about the city of Jakarta from different perspectives.

Supported by top actors and actresses such as Slamet Rahardjo, Didi Petet, Jajang C. Noer, Roy Marten, Asmirandah and Surya Saputra, the movie will be released in cinemas nationwide on November 8 and is one of the most anticipated local films of the year. “In just a few minutes, the audience will realise that this is a great film,” said event director Deborah Gabinetti.

In addition to being the first film festival that plays Jakarta Heart, Balinale is also honoured to have the international world premiere of the film Alex Cross from director Rob Cohen. Cohen is well known for box office hits such as the Fast and the Furious, xXx (Triple X), and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. This crime thriller features some important scenes shot in Karangasem, Bali.

Alex Cross is not the first successful Hollywood film shot in Bali. Previously, Eat Pray Love starring Julia Roberts was partly filmed in Bali as well as being the opening movie in the Balinale 2010. “It is our mission to showcase films that demonstrate Indonesia’s natural wealth,” said the actress Christine Hakim, who also is one of the founders of the Balinale.

In total, there will be 34 films from 34 countries screened this year. The genres vary, featuring both mainstream and independent films, as well as documentaries and short films.

During the event there will be a number of workshops and seminars held, and a competition to make a short film using a mobile phone. Leo Shi Young, executive producer and screenwriter of The Flowers of War, directed by Zhang Yimou, will also be present at the festival.

Through the Balinale, Christine Hakim hopes Indonesia and especially Bali will become one of the centres of the Asian film industry. “We’ve already seen when Julia Roberts was shooting the movie Eat Pray Love in Bali in 2010, the many benefits we received from that. To begin with more than 300 people were employed on the film, there was a great transfer of knowledge, and it’s estimated that tourism grew by 30%.

Hopefully, with the Balinale event, Bali or Indonesia could become an even bigger gateway in the future, “said the actress. The natural beauty of Indonesia could be the selling point to the movie world. “What isn’t there in our country? It’s all here. The natural locations, the natural beauty, the resources, cultural heritage, human resources, and we even have the largest population after China and India, “she told reporters.

The Balinale Film Festival coming soon | The Beat Magazine

Thanks Rangi.

Tin tin I'm going to get you a mushroom finders book - you apparently haven't been paying attention or you need some new glasses? *

*(This may make no sense to future generations but we understand what we're talking about - usually...)

Lovina Festival 2012 is fantastic!! It still runs for the next 2 days (Sunday and Monday) and if you have time I strongly recommend you come and enjoy it - Bali Pure.

Here are some of the best photos that I have taken in my entire life - not down to me and my meager abilities but these Baliense are just so damned beautiful that it makes me cringe to show myself.

Judge for yourself - https://plus.google.com/photos/1084...ms/5801385640216721425?authkey=CMHA7_Wx6cCvLg

Pity they don't use a little colour don'tcha think?

Back