sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
I have made 2 visa runs to Singapore and am considering another location for my next run. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a relatively quick 2-3 days trip and perhaps different experience. If you do have a suggestion or suggestions, please let me know if you are aware of fees and wait time and best airline to use.

Thanks in advance.

C

CanonMan

Kuala Lumpur for the photographic opportunities. Taxi's are the biggest downturn there though. They decide of they are going to take you where you want to go or not. Get's quite frustrating.

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
If you are considering Kuala Lumpur and fly Air Asia there is a bus that runs to the train station and from there it's easy to find your way around, as Mark said Taxis can be a bit of fun but you can pick from 3 classes (crap, not so crap and ok)

C

CanonMan

.... as Mark said Taxis can be a bit of fun but you can pick from 3 classes (crap, not so crap and ok)
Haha, I like that. I guess similar to the Bemo's here. Also with KL you can check in right in the city center and get the train from said check in gate direct to the terminal. Pretty slick.

Cheers,
mark.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
If you are looking for a location to spend some time as well as do the visa, consider Penang - there is an Indonesian Consulate there to do the visas easily. You fly to KL then get to Penang by another flight or bus. Penang has good food, beaches, interesting temples, a large shopping mall, etc

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The embassy in KL might only give you a 30 day visa if you already have a couple of social visas in your passport. They do it in one day, but aren't too friendly. Penang is good as Ron says. You can catch a bus to the consulate, but it does take 1 day. The staff there however were very friendly and accommodtion is cheap.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
bangkok, bring your passport on tuesday morning and pick it up thurs/friday afternoon...
in the mean time loads of things to do there..but mainly shopping, shopping and shopping some more :)

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
i heard cebu pacific are doing direct flights between bali and phillipines now. dunno what the indo embassy setup there is like, and you may need a little more time than 2-3 days, but its an ok place.

great snorkelling, diving, whale sharks, manila nightlife, massive terraced ricefields, heaps of cheap domestic flights.

and lots of real san migeul beer, dirt cheap.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The embassy in KL might only give you a 30 day visa if you already have a couple of social visas in your passport. They do it in one day, but aren't too friendly. Penang is good as Ron says. You can catch a bus to the consulate, but it does take 1 day. The staff there however were very friendly and accommodtion is cheap.

I think you will find KL will not normally do in one day anymore, unless you are a resident of Malaysia.
The norm is to hand in before noon on day one and pick-up around 4:00pm next day.

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Another option is Darwin - it takes a couple of days and hotels there are not so cheap - but if some sight-seeing and/or shopping in the Northern Territory of Australia fits your plans then it's OK. You could apply, then take a campervan out to nearby National Parks for a day or two, then go back and pick it up. I got the impression that they don't have all that many social visa applicants going there.

Annam

Oct 6, 2011
kerobokan
I am going to try Darwin next time. an option for accommodation are the many caravan parks on the outskirts, but I'll also take a look at airbnb.com

agree with Ron : could be an option to take an overnight to Yellow River or ....... hmmm, can't think of the name. there is a place near Darwin that is stunning and has inexpensive cabins - good walks and waterfalls, and safe waterholes to swim. Will ask my daughter, she knows as she lives in NT and often goes to this spot that seems to be 'loved' by the locals. Went to this place once before with her and it was truly glorious!!! goodness, so frustrating not to remember the name ......... anybody have those moments?!?!?!?!?!

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
bangkok, bring your passport on tuesday morning and pick it up thurs/friday afternoon...
in the mean time loads of things to do there..but mainly shopping, shopping and shopping some more :)

Gilbert,

I have only done visa runs to Singapore with an agent handling all the paperwork, one day turn around. Could you explain the procedure in Bangkok and fees?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Here's a previous thread, where Gilbert answered the same question. There's also an update by Sydjapan on the same thread.

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
Here's a previous thread, where Gilbert answered the same question. There's also an update by Sydjapan on the same thread.

Thank all of you for all the information!!! It is VERY helpful!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
I am going to try Darwin next time. an option for accommodation are the many caravan parks on the outskirts, but I'll also take a look at airbnb.com

agree with Ron : could be an option to take an overnight to Yellow River or ....... hmmm, can't think of the name. there is a place near Darwin that is stunning and has inexpensive cabins - good walks and waterfalls, and safe waterholes to swim. Will ask my daughter, she knows as she lives in NT and often goes to this spot that seems to be 'loved' by the locals. Went to this place once before with her and it was truly glorious!!! goodness, so frustrating not to remember the name ......... anybody have those moments?!?!?!?!?!

Mataranka, perhaps?

Dkny888

May 4, 2011
My last two runs have been Perth, WA, both times had a wonderful time exploring by motorbike. a little chilly now.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
not that I would ever consider it (sure) ... but the visa run is still a pain in the arse and surely if you have established your residency,
there are other "not mentioned" options- not available on a public forum... yea or nay?.... I suppose once every six months isnt that bad...but if your comfy and dont care to shop. shop. shop .. I know I didnt like leaving at all... and didnt like singapore at all.. if I recall after your 55 you dont have to make those silly runs? im sure its been posted over 100 times... but then again...its just me and my lady now... and wouldnt have to drag along a flock of kids and could enjoy an outing ... hmm.. maybe a different perspective now..