balinews

Feb 14, 2010
A Sunshine Coast mother and daughter have died in Bali, reportedly as a result of food poisoning.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has confirmed the deaths.

A spokesman said the Australian consulate-general in Bali was liaising with local authorities.

He said the pair were a 54-year-old woman and her 14-year-old daughter from Queensland.

It is understood they were from the Sunshine Coast, and were holidaying in Bali.

The spokesman would not confirm reports from Australia that the mother and daughter had died as a result of food poisoning - apparently as a result of a seafood meal - but did say that the department was providing consular assistance to the family in Australia.

Read more: Two Australians die in Bali

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Another report says they will do an autopsy tomorrow. Another says they had dinner in Ubud and a taxi driver is reported to say they were unwell when he returned them to Padang Bai Resort around 8pm last night.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Bali news , the report puts it down as a food ALLERGY , not food POISONING. There is a big difference . Also mentions the room they were staying contained a lot of medicine.
My take is they ate something being unaware it contained ingredients they were allergic too.

It is tragic but the Padang Bai resort probably hopes this gets sorted quickly as they are mentioned.

Cheers
Ken

www.kennethakost.com

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Have a friend here with fish allergies and one with nuts - NONE of them go anywhere without the injector that will save their lives - they hope...

Have also run into some with the same complaints that have been quite happy to believe the Javanese waiter that speaks nothing but "Menu" when he says "no problem" to the question of what this or that contains.

Guess which party will live long and prosper.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Bali news puts Bali first.

She was a trained ER nurse, very experienced. Relatives worked with her on the Sunshine Coast. Her husband a doctor.
There was no knowlege by people i talk to of any allergies.
Had there have been, and she had medication for it, im sure she would have dealt with it in the correct manner.
I also doubt there would have been any way they would have taken any kind of food even remotely having a chance of carrying the product causing allergy.
Had there been an allergy - which at this stage seems highly unlikely. But at this stage still not 100% verified.
This is Bali, where food hygiene and food prep aint exaclty top of the priority ladder...........i wonder if its possible they were actually poisoned by tainted food?

Last edited:

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
This is Bali, where food hygiene and food prep aint exaclty top of the priority ladder...........i wonder if its possible they were actually poisoned by tainted food?

I was thinking Formaldehyde.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I caught sight of some discussion, I think on TripAdvisor that said it was the Hanging Gardens Hotel Restaurant a bit north of Ubud. But that discussion has now been removed - maybe some busy PR people have been contacting TripAdvisor. Anyhow, if that is correct it is an upmarket restaurant. Then they drove to Padang Bai becoming unwell along the way, then had to get back to hospital in Denpasar - all that driving would not have been helpful on this occasion.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Formaldehyde poisoning we are all subjected to here. They use it in the bottle cleaning process in the bottling plants here. Use it on the boats which spend any amount of time at sea (means ice supply isn't so critical), and even some sellers in markets have been known to use it on product in the markets - although no one will ever admit to this.
I've never heard of anyone being poisoned to the point of death from it.
Not to say it cant happen here as everyone has access to everything.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Formaldehyde poisoning we are all subjected to here. They use it in the bottle cleaning process in the bottling plants here As in Bintang plus formaldehyde?. Use it on the boats which spend any amount of time at sea (means ice supply isn't so critical)to preserve the fish?, and even some sellers in markets have been known to use it on product in the markets ditto point 2?- although no one will ever admit to this.
I've never heard of anyone being poisoned to the point of death from it.
Not to say it cant happen here as everyone has access to everything.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
yes, bintang plus formaldehyde.

the bottling process in most parts of asia is vastly different to that of of the west. I've attanded several training courses here in Asia with automation engineers who work in this field (high speed bottling plants, canneries etc).

My point about formaldahyde is its a process that is used in small doses aver a wide variety of things in the food industry. And ive never heard of anyone dying from it - as i understand long term exposure is where problems may occuer....but no one understands to much about this as its really not been in use for that long.

And as such, and to the horror of most who blindly rush to the defense of Bali and dread the thought of the precious tourism image being tarnished - I suspect it was a case of really bad food poisoning. Ive read a report recently where they interviewed a restuaraunt manager who said this was impossible, as other people eating in the restuaraunt that night did not get sick. This comment makes no sense.

I got food poisoning 3 months ago working on an offshore oil rig and was medivaced off the rig. I was the only one who got it - despite 70 other people having the same meals there. I was simply the lucky guy who happened to chew on the food where the nasty shit has started breeding.

As for the cops saying the room was full of medication etc......probably nothing more than vitamin supplements.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
How often do people die from food poisoning? That's quite a serious reaction me thinks? People get the shits, vomiting and cramps but dying?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I read that the family refused a post-mortem to be done in Bali, and the bodies were released to Australia, as the Bali police didn't find any evidence of a crime.
I'm guessing the family want privacy and wont release the results, unless obliged by Australian law. This might prevent the result from being publicised.

This will be a pity as Bali restaurants, resorts and tourism have already been tainted by the media.

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
I read that the family refused a post-mortem to be done in Bali, and the bodies were released to Australia, as the Bali police didn't find any evidence of a crime.
I'm guessing the family want privacy and wont release the results, unless obliged by Australian law. This might prevent the result from being publicised.

This will be a pity as Bali restaurants, resorts and tourism have already been tainted by the media.

Well I've read this thread from the start -the media hasn't tainted tourism-the scum who murder Australians etc in Bali have. I'm a chef-are you serious-food poisoning -by accident- yeah maybe if they BOTH had a nut allergy and injected a KG of ground peanuts....???
What I want to know is when is the Pathetic Australian etc government going to actually step in and do something about this? And for those that say they can't-"can't"s probably a word YOU use frequently?! These people were murdered-end of case. Just like Deni north and tonnes of others...and wow the Bali police say "no foul play" was found....wankers.....

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Well I've read this thread from the start -the media hasn't tainted tourism-the scum who murder Australians etc in Bali have. I'm a chef-are you serious-food poisoning -by accident- yeah maybe if they BOTH had a nut allergy and injected a KG of ground peanuts....???
What I want to know is when is the Pathetic Australian etc government going to actually step in and do something about this? And for those that say they can't-"can't"s probably a word YOU use frequently?! These people were murdered-end of case. Just like Deni north and tonnes of others...and wow the Bali police say "no foul play" was found....wankers.....

You think the chef put poison in their food, it wasn't an accident?

Last edited: